CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Gauge cluster LED install disaster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge cluster LED install disaster

As the title says. I broke the old bulbs and put on some T5/ #74 bulbs in 9 socket locations including the screen on a 99 CLK430. After every single LED bulb installed, I connected the cluster to clarify it works which every single one did but the last. As I put the bulb on the temperature location. Did the test check, none of the bulbs worked. Pulled the led bulb out of the temperature location and all worked. Back and forth. Tried flipping the contacts but couldn't get all the lights to go on with every single bulb in. So I left the temperature bulb out, started the car while parking lights were on and "poof!".
My cluster started smoking from the two middle locations. Now none of my
bulbs work, tried switching to oem bulbs, back to led, nada. Did I fry my cluster?
Everything works including the screen. Just no lights.
Sounds like i need a new cluster no? Thanks for looking.

edit: fuses are good.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Supercharged CLK430 street/show car
resistor

I think that you may have needed resistors if the LEDs didnt have them already in their circuits. The stock system with LEDs would draw to much current for the LEDs to handle with no resistors and would prob fry them and also maybe the cluster.

Last edited by nastyclk; 04-15-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 PM

2001 CLK 320
i agree with nastyclk..as far as i know, but i may be wrong, led's dont require as much power as regular halogen bulbs and maybe that had something to do with it
Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
hmm that is weird..i got led in my cluster and all is well ....
Old 04-24-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
The stock system with LEDs would draw to much current/NOT

Its the bulb that draws current not the system. the system can only provide 12volts. An LED will only draw as little as it does which is less amps than the oem bulbs. you only need resistors if you are putting LEDs on the exterior to prevent the "bulb out" light on the dash from coming on. That's the deal with the dash light warning, the LED draws less current/amps and the system thinks the light is out therefore the resistor makes the system think the LED is drawing more amps than it really is. none of the interior lights need resistors. They are not part of the light out warning sytem on the dash. Like big mike said "hmm that is weird..i got led in my cluster and all is well." Sounds like you cracked the board or shorted something out. You will probably have to send your cluster out to get it fixed. Good luck

Last edited by dlbehrns; 04-24-2010 at 10:56 PM.