CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Calling all Captians...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Exclamation Calling all Captians...

The day has finally come, I have recently taken delivery of an HPS Gen 1 kit.

Although there have been a lot of different installs, I was wanting to find out the most information possible to pass along to whichever shop I commission to do the work.

What are the additional items that I should install as far as fuel, safety and drivablity are concerned?

What items should the kit have come with?

What is the best way to install the kit?

Should I have the supercharger looked at?

These are just some of the question I have swirling around in my head, any help would be great!!!

-Ghost
Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 clk430
Man I'm jealous did you pick it up new or used? If you can pm me what you payed for it i'm not trying to be nosey thinking of going sc by the end of the year. please document with pics and show us along the way.

btw the camber kit came in yesterday that was fast trying to put it on this weekend thanks again.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 PM

2002 Clk430
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
The day has finally come, I have recently taken delivery of an HPS Gen 1 kit.

Although there have been a lot of different installs, I was wanting to find out the most information possible to pass along to whichever shop I commission to do the work.

What are the additional items that I should install as far as fuel, safety and drivablity are concerned?

What items should the kit have come with?

What is the best way to install the kit?

Should I have the supercharger looked at?

These are just some of the question I have swirling around in my head, any help would be great!!!

-Ghost
as you may already know i installed this kit on my car, but had a few issues.
1. not enough fuel(the fmu sucks, ditch the idea of using it and get a bigger bosch fuel pump)
2. you should install a catch can on the pcv lines cuz you WILL get blow by
3. a tranny cooler and oil cooler is always a plus
4. the blower def raises IAT, porting is def a good way to lower that
5. i never was able to get it to fully adapt, idk if its because i hav the 2.8 computer in my car, but a tune would work that out(quoted $1500)

as of right now the whole kit is off the car and may be considering selling it. the blower has a full rebuild on it and was ported by Stiegemeier Porting Services. close to $1000 invested between me and nitrogenbalance in the blower(i have the bills). i also had the blower painted brilliant silver while it was there and i painted the ducts, brackets, bolts, etc. and all looks new. worked great for me once it adapted but once i turned the car off it would hav to relearn. def shaved a second off 0-60. $1500 for a tune is rediculous, offers are welcome but im not too sure ive given up on it yet. i also hav a carbon fiber renntech intake with K&N drop-ins and heat wrapped on the bottom, the 2 air ducts, and lower cover also included(its the amg one that i shaved smooth, painted it black, and put a CLK430 emblem on, the ones off the trunk lid) if anyone wants to take a stab at that(real clean looking). ill try to get some pics up asap. PM me

Last edited by Silv430ClkR; 04-22-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by vizionclk430
Man I'm jealous did you pick it up new or used? If you can pm me what you payed for it i'm not trying to be nosey thinking of going sc by the end of the year. please document with pics and show us along the way.

btw the camber kit came in yesterday that was fast trying to put it on this weekend thanks again.
No problem!! Glad you liked it.

I got it used, came off a CLK55.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Silv430ClkR
as you may already know i installed this kit on my car, but had a few issues.
1. not enough fuel(the fmu sucks, ditch the idea of using it and get a bigger bosch fuel pump)
2. you should install a catch can on the pcv lines cuz you WILL get blow by
3. a tranny cooler and oil cooler is always a plus
4. the blower def raises IAT, porting is def a good way to lower that
5. i never was able to get it to fully adapt, idk if its because i hav the 2.8 computer in my car, but a tune would work that out(quoted $1500)

as of right now the whole kit is off the car and may be considering selling it. the blower has a full rebuild on it and was ported by Stiegemeier Porting Services. close to $1000 invested between me and nitrogenbalance in the blower(i have the bills). i also had the blower painted brilliant silver while it was there and i painted the ducts, brackets, bolts, etc. and all looks new. worked great for me once it adapted but once i turned the car off it would hav to relearn. def shaved a second off 0-60. $1500 for a tune is rediculous, offers are welcome but im not too sure ive given up on it yet. i also hav a carbon fiber renntech intake with K&N drop-ins and heat wrapped on the bottom, the 2 air ducts, and lower cover also included(its the amg one that i shaved smooth, painted it black, and put a CLK430 emblem on, the ones off the trunk lid) if anyone wants to take a stab at that(real clean looking). ill try to get some pics up asap. PM me
So you think I should go with the porting??

Thanks for your insight!! I will be using some of your ideas...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:24 PM

2002 Clk430
Red face

So you think I should go with the porting??

Thanks for your insight!! I will be using some of your ideas...
definatly get it ported. the motor will run hot. mine is ported and my motor ran hotter than usual with it, but never went over 95*c(thank god). what i learned if i wanted to put it back on was i would run tranny and motor oil coolers, pte thermostat, catch can, find space for a bigger air filter(the one that comes with it is way too small for our v8's), ditch the fmu mess and just go with a bigger fuel pump and get a tune. ive never riden in anyother hps cars but my car def needed a tune, it had to relearn on every restart but once it did, hold onto your ***! my friends got a worked 2001 z28 with 350rwhp and he was afraid to race me, lol.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Sorry Mel but you have to finish the headers for Jimmy and I before you can start on this new project. Orders from Japan. Conichi wah. (or whatever)

Trending Topics

Old 04-24-2010, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Sorry Mel but you have to finish the headers for Jimmy and I before you can start on this new project. Orders from Japan. Conichi wah. (or whatever)
Konnichiwa from Japan B!@chez... 30APR 2010
Old 04-24-2010, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
I won't be!!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Williams707
Konnichiwa from Japan B!@chez... 30APR 2010
I see you bro...
Old 04-26-2010, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
definatly get it ported. the motor will run hot. mine is ported and my motor ran hotter than usual with it, but never went over 95*c(thank god). what i learned if i wanted to put it back on was i would run tranny and motor oil coolers, pte thermostat, catch can, find space for a bigger air filter(the one that comes with it is way too small for our v8's), ditch the fmu mess and just go with a bigger fuel pump and get a tune. ive never riden in anyother hps cars but my car def needed a tune, it had to relearn on every restart but once it did, hold onto your ***! my friends got a worked 2001 z28 with 350rwhp and he was afraid to race me, lol.
Can you tell me about the upgraded pullies that you are using in the kit? What size fuel pump would you go with?

$1500 for a custom dyno tune doesn't sound that bad...
Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM

2002 Clk430
Can you tell me about the upgraded pullies that you are using in the kit? What size fuel pump would you go with?

$1500 for a custom dyno tune doesn't sound that bad...
all the pullies on my kit were the stock ones, except for the one directly next to the S/C pulley. nitrogenbalance used a 100mm pulley instead of the 90mm one it comes with cuz he felt there was too much slack and would slip on hard acceleration. i would upgrade to around an 80psi fuel pump, and with that you would also need a tune but would eliminate the fmu and vacuum lines needed for it. those vortech fmu also go bad frequently i heard and need constant replacing of the diaphram inside them. so i figured when i put the kit back on my car im gunna go with the fuel pump and tune, which would also eliminate the need to use the maf voltage clamp. so in the end it would be a much cleaner, more reliable, and better running setup, imo.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
all the pullies on my kit were the stock ones, except for the one directly next to the S/C pulley. nitrogenbalance used a 100mm pulley instead of the 90mm one it comes with cuz he felt there was too much slack and would slip on hard acceleration. i would upgrade to around an 80psi fuel pump, and with that you would also need a tune but would eliminate the fmu and vacuum lines needed for it. those vortech fmu also go bad frequently i heard and need constant replacing of the diaphram inside them. so i figured when i put the kit back on my car im gunna go with the fuel pump and tune, which would also eliminate the need to use the maf voltage clamp. so in the end it would be a much cleaner, more reliable, and better running setup, imo.
Thanks bro!!! I was thinking of going with a W211 E55 fuel pump?? I am also thinking of a way to integrate a water-to-air aftercooler.

What does the MAF voltage clamp look like?

Last edited by Ghostrider; 04-26-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: ?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
inquiring minds

Those of you who would like to meet our man Mel/Ghostrider check out the following site and scroll down to where you see his smiling face. It's a pleasure to know you Mr. Price and I look forward to meeting you some day.
http://delasalleautodesignstudio.wikispaces.com/Mentors

Regarding my reply to your pm. Forget my question. I did find both designer and fabricator of the new v6headers. If any of you out there are considering these headers for your 320 or are having any doubts both Mel Price and Greg Welch have very impressive resumes.

Last edited by dlbehrns; 04-27-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Those of you who would like to meet our man Mel/Ghostrider check out the following site and scroll down to where you see his smiling face. It's a pleasure to know you Mr. Price and I look forward to meeting you some day.
http://delasalleautodesignstudio.wikispaces.com/Mentors

Regarding my reply to your pm. Forget my question. I did find both designer and fabricator of the new v6headers. If any of you out there are considering these headers for your 320 or are having any doubts both Mel Price and Greg Welch have very impressive resumes.
You're going to make me blush...
Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
You know what's interesting... The Kleemann system only uses a rising rate fpr and a voltage inverter on the fuel pump.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
^^^^^^^ i just looked at it... all good man.. NIce to know we have good peeps here. u helped me out a lot with camber questions .. thank u again
Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 PM

2002 Clk430
You know what's interesting... The Kleemann system only uses a rising rate fpr and a voltage inverter on the fuel pump.
you can use the fmu the kit comes with, but like i said i was told they tend to fail often. thats what leads me to believe why my car wouldnt adapt to the system. so im going to go with the biger fuel pump next time around. blackbenz was talking about a bosch fuel pump that would be good for a supercharger application in a post i read not too long ago, i think it was model number 044. wen i looked it up it ran around 75psi, which should work great with a tune. which in my opinion would be a better route to go. without a tune i think these cars are going to run way lean. if i hoped on the gas the temp gauge would rise as fast as the rpm lol. the voltage clamp is the little black box that wires in between the maf and the ecu.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
you can use the fmu the kit comes with, but like i said i was told they tend to fail often. thats what leads me to believe why my car wouldnt adapt to the system. so im going to go with the biger fuel pump next time around. blackbenz was talking about a bosch fuel pump that would be good for a supercharger application in a post i read not too long ago, i think it was model number 044. wen i looked it up it ran around 75psi, which should work great with a tune. which in my opinion would be a better route to go. without a tune i think these cars are going to run way lean. if i hoped on the gas the temp gauge would rise as fast as the rpm lol. the voltage clamp is the little black box that wires in between the maf and the ecu.
Yeah, the Bosch 044 pump. I've been doing some research and the FMU is not enough, but the addition of an inverter (boost-a-pump) would make up for the lack of fuel pressure wpuld take up the slack. I bet that's all you need to bring your system together.

I don't know of anyone that has used just an uprated fuel pump.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 PM

2002 Clk430
Yeah, the Bosch 044 pump. I've been doing some research and the FMU is not enough, but the addition of an inverter (boost-a-pump) would make up for the lack of fuel pressure wpuld take up the slack. I bet that's all you need to bring your system together.

I don't know of anyone that has used just an uprated fuel pump.
yeah, the supplied fmu is not enough. i dont know of anyone with the hps kit that upgraded the fuel pump either but its fool proof and if you upgrade the fuel pump a tune to keep the injectors open a little longer to get more fuel would be best. and you will also most likely squeeze more power out with the custom tune.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
yeah, the supplied fmu is not enough. i dont know of anyone with the hps kit that upgraded the fuel pump either but its fool proof and if you upgrade the fuel pump a tune to keep the injectors open a little longer to get more fuel would be best. and you will also most likely squeeze more power out with the custom tune.
I think I'm going to start with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a voltage inverter for the fuel pump. After that a tune, and after that maybe a fuel pump and intercooler.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
You're a madman! Can't wait to see the finished product. Or should I say HEAR the finished product?

Did the new unit come with a radar detector?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
hey ghost, i have a snow performance meth injection system that i bought when i was running the vortech v1 on my car (to much psi almost killed my trans) is your interested. there is not enough room to run a large enough air-water cooler to really lower the temps on our cars! this will work perfectly for your system as it can be adjusted by psi. pm me if your interested.
Found some specs
o 1 Pump 150 PSI
o 1 trunk mounted Water reservoir tank- the pump goes attached to tank for better fitting.
o 1- Solenoid valve for protection of overflow.
o 1-Variable Controller VC25 Boost adjuster. You tell the system when to start spraying, at what boost level to start spraying and when to come in full blast.

Last edited by sick430; 04-30-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by karburn
You're a madman! Can't wait to see the finished product. Or should I say HEAR the finished product?

Did the new unit come with a radar detector?
I needed that before I even got the unit!!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by sick430
hey ghost, i have a snow performance meth injection system that i bought when i was running the vortech v1 on my car (to much psi almost killed my trans) is your interested. there is not enough room to run a large enough air-water cooler to really lower the temps on our cars! this will work perfectly for your system as it can be adjusted by psi. pm me if your interested.
Found some specs
o 1 Pump 150 PSI
o 1 trunk mounted Water reservoir tank- the pump goes attached to tank for better fitting.
o 1- Solenoid valve for protection of overflow.
o 1-Variable Controller VC25 Boost adjuster. You tell the system when to start spraying, at what boost level to start spraying and when to come in full blast.
I will definately keep this in mind!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Calling all Captians...