CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2000 CLK320 Cabriolet - Radio Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2010 | 07:20 PM

2000 CLK320 Cabriolet
2000 CLK320 Cabriolet - Radio Replacement

I’m a new member to the forum, but I’ve gotten a lot of useful information from it before. Hopefully you all can help me with this one. I have a 2000 CLK320 Cabriolet. The head unit only plays CDs through the CD changer in the trunk (pain in the ...!). I can’t find any module to allow me to use the integrated phone system. Lastly, I would like to use an in-dash NAV system; as opposed to the Magellan unit I’m currently using.

I found a Double DIN unit, on eBay that claims it came from a ‘00 CLK320. But according to the dealer, the Single DIN that is in there is the only one that will fit, and work. Secondly, the unit from eBay does not come with a GPS antenna. Has anyone here done this, or know what would be involved in getting this accomplished?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2010 | 11:58 PM

11 E550 Conv
if you do a search, i think there have been several write ups on this...most sound expensive. i think the consensus from what i have read is to go with an aftermarket double din receiver with navigation. has more features, navigation is better, can add bluetooth, hd radio, sat radio, etc. some of the aftermarket ones can even make use of the steering wheel buttons (if you have them) with an adapter i believe.

i'm upgrading my single din system with an aftermarket single din with usb input, ipod control, hd radio and bluetooth. nav isn't that important to me and if i need it, it's on my smartphone.
Old 04-27-2010 | 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by aqua190
if you do a search, i think there have been several write ups on this...most sound expensive. i think the consensus from what i have read is to go with an aftermarket double din receiver with navigation. has more features, navigation is better, can add bluetooth, hd radio, sat radio, etc. some of the aftermarket ones can even make use of the steering wheel buttons (if you have them) with an adapter i believe.

i'm upgrading my single din system with an aftermarket single din with usb input, ipod control, hd radio and bluetooth. nav isn't that important to me and if i need it, it's on my smartphone.
I'd be surprised if in car NAV units aren't completely obsolete in a few years (they already are for many of us). An in-car NAV gets me to a parking lot. I park, attend a function, and then I need my car NAV to find my way around again. With a phone, I park the car, attend the function, and can look up the local restaurants, bars, stores, or hotels that are within walking distance while I'm at the function or as I leave. I get a new phone every two years, so it's an automatic feature upgrade every 24 months. When I'm out of town and the car is sitting in airport parking on the opposite coast, the phone can still do the job. Also, I can expense my cell phone bill.

To each their own, but for the OP, here are some options regarding head units - What you may want to consider. Why you may want to consider it.