CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Second dipstick?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 230 kompressor, jeep cherokee, alfa romeo gtv, fzr 1000 exup.
Second dipstick?

Hi I have a 99 clk 230 auto. Looking under the bonnet there is a second dipstick located towards the back od the engine on the left hand side.
I assumed that it was for the auto box but reading several post, they suggest that there isnt a dipstick for the auto box.
Can anyone tell me what this is for?
Also if it is for the auto box where is the filler.?
Cheers
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I've never seen a CLK230, but I'm going to go out on a limb . . . . . .

[caution: run-on sentence alert] If there is a second dipstick toward the rear of the car, and you trace that dipstick tube down to the transmission (which should be easy enough to do), then, it's a transmission dipstick. To add fluid (and I would be hesistant to do so until I had some way of checking the transmission fluid temperature), one would use a funnel and add the fluid through the dipstick tube.

Got a digital camera? Snap some shots and post them. Someone may be able to identify what you're looking at.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:13 PM

CLK 208 Cabrio
Hi
The CLK 230 was never available in the USA so they won't have seen it. Yes the 'dip stick' you refer to is for the Auto box. It should have a red cap over it so is sealed. If it has not then it has been opened (tampered with)
The gear box oil on these car at this time were of the 'sealed for life' type so the idea was that the fluid never needed changing, however some owners have done so after around 50,000 miles by removing the lower plate and draining if off that way.

Last edited by red5r; 06-12-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
many have had the fluid changed at around 75 to 100K miles and say it makes a world of difference as to how the transmission performs. There is a DIY somewhere that shows how to change all the fluid, torque convertor included, by disconnecting one or both of the trans fluid lines that go to the trans fluid radiator in the front of the car. the fluid is not good for the life of the car like MB purports.