CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Thinking about buying 1998 CLK 320 - advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bicycle
Thinking about buying 1998 CLK 320 - advice?

Hey forum, new here.. really hoping to be a new owner of a CLK 320 soon.

I'm looking at a '98, has 107k miles, factory xenon headlights. Seller says it's be babied all it's life, though he's the third owner.

I've asked about the power windows, sunroof, various lights, etc. All good apparently.

Also asked about the radiator, said it's been replaced 6 months ago. There's an indie Benz mechanic in the area that I can take it to for inspection to make sure everything's ok, however I was hoping to possibly get some additional advice from you guys.

Just wondering if the mileage is too high for this car, or if there's anything else I should ask about or look for? Also, what would you say would be an ideal price for this car? CA car, appears to be in excellent physical condition.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Welcome and best wishes on whatever you buy.

I'll start wih the last question first: If you're a CLK owner, you want every CLK sold to be for as much money as possible, thereby keeping your resale value up. If you're a CLK buyer, anything under "free" is just about the right price. Being an owner, I say "CLK320's in good condition should have an entry price of $12K, 430's $15K, and 55's START at $20K, regardless of condition". It's self-aggrandizement, but if everyone did it, there would be no depreciation. Anyone priced a 1972-1973 911 recently? That's what those P-car owners have done. As for you personally, prices vary by location.

IMHO if maintained, the mileage is not too high. Some Mercedes-Benz vehicles have been known to go a half-million miles. Unmaintained heaps are not in that crowd. The key is to get a good pre-purchase inspection (PPI). Here are a few CLK specific things that can be checked.

You didn't ask, but there were many changes made during the first generation CLK (W208) production run.

1998 saw the introduction of the CLK320.

In 1999:
  • CLK320 Cabriolet introduced
  • CLK430 Coupe introduced
  • V8 models get AMG 5-spoke wheels, AMG boumper covers and side skirts (in body color)
  • Brake Assist system introduced
In 2000:
  • The CLK430 Cabriolet introduced
  • New design 7-spoke wheels for CLK320
  • Side skirts, front & rear bumper valances redesigned – now body color (CLK320)
  • Chrome exhaust tip (prior years were gloss black)
  • Designo trim packages available (Slate Blue or Espresso)
  • Fiber-optic system for communication / sound system introduced
  • New multifunction display w/ steering wheel controls
  • Redesigned instrument cluster
  • Touch-shift transmissions (with the roller bearing rather than the brass bushing used on prior years) were added.
  • Turn signal repeaters in side mirrors (moved from the front fender)
  • One touch windows for both Up/Down function (prior years’ only one touch down)
  • COMAND system available
  • Motorola Star-Tac phone available
  • Tele-Aid introduced
  • Voice –activated system available (Linguatronic in other markets)
  • Black birdseye maple, body color door handles, blackout window trim and AMG body trim, AMG wheels on V8 models
  • V6 models have brown burl walnut, chrome accent door handles, chrome window surround
  • Two-tone Nappa leather interiors available (with certain body colors) on V8 models
In 2001
  • CLK55 AMG coupe introduced (unique two-one Nappa leather interiors specific to the model available)
  • CLK55 gets AMG ‘monoblock’ design wheels
  • CLK55 AMG models receive faster shift programming for transmissions
  • CLK55 AMG models have 4” driveshaft
  • Dual AMG tips on CLK55
  • Capri Blue color new for ’01 (optional on all W208s)
  • Orion Blue color new for ’01 (N/A for cabriolets)
  • Laguna Green color new for ’01 (N/A for coupes)
  • Mineral Green is the ‘other green’ available on all W208s
  • Smart Key redesigned (slightly smaller, different ‘panic’ button)
  • Motorola Timeport phone introduced as replacement for Star-Tac model
  • Additional transmission upgrades were made for non-AMG models
  • Chrome exhaust tip
  • One touch sunroof
  • The windows drop about a half-inch when the doors are opened
  • Redesigned 430 wheels
  • Enhanced Tele-Aid functions (remote unlocking, diagnostics and alarm notification).
  • All engines were upgraded to ME 2.8 (on the V8’s that meant new injectors, and a larger, CLK55-sized throttle body - no idea what the V6's got)
2002:
  • Last year of W208 coupe body (cabriolet W208 continued into ’03)
  • CLK55 AMG Cabriolet introduced (std w/ exclusive charcoal leather interior)
  • New AMG wheel style on AMG cabriolet
  • Motorola V60 phone introduced?
  • Pewter Gray color available in W208 line
  • Additional Designo Cashmere trim package available (one year)
  • AMG body kit & 17” wheels available as option on CLK320 coupe / cabrio
  • The center caps on the V8 wheels are different
2003:
The only W208 body available was the cabriolet. No AMG55 W208 available

Horsepower ratings the same for ’98 – ’03 W208 body
3.2 V6 215hp
4.3 V8 275hp
5.5 AMG 342hp (’01-’02)
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
To begin....107K miles is not high for a 12 year old car.

Next steps......get at a carfax report (e.g. this will verify for salvage title, accidents, accurate mileage history, failed emission inspections etc.) and most important, carefully review the maintenance/repair records.

Besides the obvious, in that time-frame MB introduced FSS service intervals (e.g. 10K miles between oil/filter changes).

But they forgot to tell dealers/owners that this was based on on using synthetic oil and special filters. The result was engine damage (e.g. due to sludge). In a class action, MB provided an additional 10 year warranty on the engine (now expired).

If the catalytic converters are original, replacement could be the better part of what the car is worth.

Unless the price is right (e.g. parts and labor are not cheap)...I would look elsewhere.

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-16-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 AM

bicycle
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Welcome and best wishes on whatever you buy.

I'll start wih the last question first: If you're a CLK owner, you want every CLK sold to be for as much money as possible, thereby keeping your resale value up. If you're a CLK buyer, anything under "free" is just about the right price. Being an owner, I say "CLK320's in good condition should have an entry price of $12K, 430's $15K, and 55's START at $20K, regardless of condition". It's self-aggrandizement, but if everyone did it, there would be no depreciation. Anyone priced a 1972-1973 911 recently? That's what those P-car own ers have done. As for you personally, prices vary by location.

IMHO if maintained, the mileage is not too high. Some Mercedes-Benz vehicles have been known to go a half-million miles. Unmaintained heaps are not in that crowd. The key is to get a good pre-purchase inspection (PPI). Here are a few CLK specific things that can be checked.

You didn't ask, but there were many changes made during the first generation CLK (W208) production run.

1998 saw the introduction of the CLK320.

In 1999:
  • CLK320 Cabriolet introduced
  • CLK430 Coupe introduced
  • V8 models get AMG 5-spoke wheels, AMG boumper covers and side skirts (in body color)
  • Brake Assist system introduced
In 2000:
  • The CLK430 Cabriolet introduced
  • New design 7-spoke wheels for CLK320
  • Side skirts, front & rear bumper valances redesigned – now body color (CLK320)
  • Chrome exhaust tip (prior years were gloss black)
  • Designo trim packages available (Slate Blue or Espresso)
  • Fiber-optic system for communication / sound system introduced
  • New multifunction display w/ steering wheel controls
  • Redesigned instrument cluster
  • Touch-shift transmissions (with the roller bearing rather than the brass bushing used on prior years) were added.
  • Turn signal repeaters in side mirrors (moved from the front fender)
  • One touch windows for both Up/Down function (prior years’ only one touch down)
  • COMAND system available
  • Motorola Star-Tac phone available
  • Tele-Aid introduced
  • Voice –activated system available (Linguatronic in other markets)
  • Black birdseye maple, body color door handles, blackout window trim and AMG body trim, AMG wheels on V8 models
  • V6 models have brown burl walnut, chrome accent door handles, chrome window surround
  • Two-tone Nappa leather interiors available (with certain body colors) on V8 models
In 2001
  • CLK55 AMG coupe introduced (unique two-one Nappa leather interiors specific to the model available)
  • CLK55 gets AMG ‘monoblock’ design wheels
  • CLK55 AMG models receive faster shift programming for transmissions
  • CLK55 AMG models have 4” driveshaft
  • Dual AMG tips on CLK55
  • Capri Blue color new for ’01 (optional on all W208s)
  • Orion Blue color new for ’01 (N/A for cabriolets)
  • Laguna Green color new for ’01 (N/A for coupes)
  • Mineral Green is the ‘other green’ available on all W208s
  • Smart Key redesigned (slightly smaller, different ‘panic’ button)
  • Motorola Timeport phone introduced as replacement for Star-Tac model
  • Additional transmission upgrades were made for non-AMG models
  • Chrome exhaust tip
  • One touch sunroof
  • The windows drop about a half-inch when the doors are opened
  • Redesigned 430 wheels
  • Enhanced Tele-Aid functions (remote unlocking, diagnostics and alarm notification).
  • All engines were upgraded to ME 2.8 (on the V8’s that meant new injectors, and a larger, CLK55-sized throttle body - no idea what the V6's got)
2002:
  • Last year of W208 coupe body (cabriolet W208 continued into ’03)
  • CLK55 AMG Cabriolet introduced (std w/ exclusive charcoal leather interior)
  • New AMG wheel style on AMG cabriolet
  • Motorola V60 phone introduced?
  • Pewter Gray color available in W208 line
  • Additional Designo Cashmere trim package available (one year)
  • AMG body kit & 17” wheels available as option on CLK320 coupe / cabrio
  • The center caps on the V8 wheels are different
2003:
The only W208 body available was the cabriolet. No AMG55 W208 available

Horsepower ratings the same for ’98 – ’03 W208 body
3.2 V6 215hp
4.3 V8 275hp
5.5 AMG 342hp (’01-’02)
Some useful info, thanks! Great link too btw... made some notes from it.
Originally Posted by Serndipity
To begin....107K miles is not high for a 12 year old car.

Next steps......get at a carfax report (e.g. this will verify for salvage title, accidents, accurate mileage history, failed emission inspections etc.) and most important, carefully review the maintenance/repair records.

Besides the obvious, in that time-frame MB introduced FSS service intervals (e.g. 10K miles between oil/filter changes).

But they forgot to tell dealers/owners that this was based on on using synthetic oil and special filters. The result was engine damage (e.g. due to sludge). In a class action, MB provided an additional 10 year warranty on the engine (now expired).

If the catalytic converters are original, replacement could be the better part of what the car is worth.

Unless the price is right (e.g. parts and labor are not cheap)...I would look elsewhere.
I plan on getting either Autocheck (unlimited) or Carfax x5... so I can get some background info on the vehicle(s).

This particular one I'm looking at, he's asking $7600.. but I'm going to try to negotiate to a lower price. I've seen some comparable listings for $1000 less. I guess being Southern California, these are slightly more common.

In any case, I'm going to check out the car. If I like what I see and feel driving it, I'll bring it to a shop for an inspection and use that checklist from the link above and make sure everything's in order.

I'll post again if I end up getting it! I hope it works out... I'd LOVE a CLK 320.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:56 PM

2002 clk 430
Get a clk 55 or 430 and u won't be dissapointed