CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question on "Service Time" & "Warranty" !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2003 | 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question on "Service Time" & "Warranty" !

I've had my car for about 2 and a half year, I'm approaching 30,000 miles, do I need to take it to the dealer for service at 30k? And also the factory warranty is 4yr/50k mile. Should I buy extended warranty before the factory one expires? How much does it cost? (Fletcher Jones or Laguna Niguel are near me) If I was ganna get Kleemann after my warranty expires, should I still buy the extended warranty? Would it cover any engine problems? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Ben you should know this the best !

-Bruce
Old 04-04-2003 | 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
You don't need to take it in for a 30K service, 60K service, etc. All you have to do is take the car in when it says it's due for an A or B service.
Old 04-04-2003 | 10:39 AM

MB
Bruce:
just a suggestion, if you are going to buy a Kleemann S/C, dont get the extended warranty, cause it is going to void the warranty.
Old 04-04-2003 | 11:15 AM

1999 CLk320
hey bruce, it really depends on you and the car, some cars just never seem to have any problems and some just seem to have problems start rollin in after warranty. i bought xtended warranty and i was glad i did. couple weeks ago my damn pully fell off when i was driving on the freeway and because of that, a whole list of crap broke: main oil pan broke, camshaft cracked, pully broke off, belt ripped ......... and then the guy asked me if i like to drive my car hard ..... i was like i dunno i just drive it ........ besides, cars are made to be pushed. but warranty did take care of all that so....... im ok. so i just think its really the car and how you have been driving it........... but hey ..... watever breaks down on your car after warranty, you can always go aftermarket, if i didnt have warranty and that thing broke, i could go EvoSport pully etc. but damn..... kleemann, i would do that even if it voided my warranty on some engine parts, besides, they have to prove to you that the kleemann was the reason why something broke, the extended warranty can be used to cover other stuff like power windows, power seats, etc.

do the kleemann supercharger, it would be badass
Old 04-04-2003 | 02:43 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
Originally posted by hinhin7
Bruce:
just a suggestion, if you are going to buy a Kleemann S/C, dont get the extended warranty, cause it is going to void the warranty.
I am also thinking about Kleeman SC, but I got the extended warranty. So I did a little research to see how modifcations would void the warranty......

It sounds almost like common sense that any engine work will void warranty and that's what EVERY delaer will tell you. And most of us think that's the way it goes. But the TRUTH is that dealers have to prove that aftermarket mods are the main causes of the problem/engine failure in order to void your warranty. This is called "Magnuson-Moss Act". Again, it will be a long exhausting process that might involve more diagonistc testings, lengthy investigations, or perhaps a lawyer. But let's just say you get the SC, they can't turn you away and not fix your windows, sunroof, or air cond if something goes wrong.

Okay, my lecture is done, hope that helps Burce

Last edited by LAMAY123; 04-04-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2003 | 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks guys, your answers were very helpful. I'm still debating if I should keep the car after warranty expires. We'll see . . .

-Bruce