CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Battery Replacement on '99 CLK320 - MAF Fried?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320 Cabriolet
Unhappy Battery Replacement on '99 CLK320 - MAF Fried?

Guys

Wife's car has had ASR and BAS light issue for a couple of weeks. Then cab hood stopped mid way and car wouldn't start. Thought battery sounded a bit sluggish so repalced it last night.

Now car runs liek a bag of spanenrs. Idles rough at 500 rpm, stalls if I put it into D, adn if I can get it to drive will not rev over 2500 rpm and wont change gear.

I assuem the MAF is now toast.

However, I read on hear that error codes can be reset by the old 'turn the steering wheel left for 4 sec , right for 4 sec, centralise, turn off, remove key.

Could this reset ECU so that the old MAF can operate with new battery.

Or should I just get a new MAF.

Cannot believe they make a car where a battery change can damage bits!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Changing the battery does nothing to the MAF. I've replaced batteries twice now. Most recently two weeks ago.

Also, how do you know the MAF is toast? Have you looked at the codes with a code reader?

Lastly, since the power supply was interrupted while the battery was replaced, the windows (if you have 1-touch), seats, and BAS/ESP can be re-synched as follows:
  • Press the power window "up switch" until the window is completely closed, and hold it for additional 2 seconds. Repeat this procedure for each window.
  • Put the key in the steering lock, and turn it to position 2. Move the seat completely forward and the head rest fully down, and hold both buttons for approximately 2 seconds. Do this for both seats
  • Start the car. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. This will clear the electronic stability program error.
  • For others with a sunroof, put the key in the steering lock, and turn it to position 2. With the sunroof closed, push the sunroof switch up until the sunroof is completely raised at rear, and hold the switch for additional second.
The clock and radio will have to be reset as well.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:58 AM

CLK320 Cabriolet
How do I know it was the MAF?

Well, it took me <5 minutes to change the battery.

Upon restart, the car went from running perfectly to not being able to idle, stalling as soon as I get it into gear, and when I manage to get it to drive, wouldn't rev over 2500 and wouldn't change from 1st gear.

Replaced the MAF and the car runs perfectly.

A search of this and other Merc forums suggests that it isn't an isolated problem. A googel search for MAF and battery tells me I'm not the first to have this problem.

The MAF was 11 years old - as was the original battery. I expect it had a good life!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:57 PM

clk 320
Same problem

Hi All
I have just changed the battery in my 99 320 clk and now I have the exact symptoms has this poster, can anyone advise what the issue could be? is there anyway of resetting to get it running as it was prior to battery replacement?
Thanks in advance
Mark

Originally Posted by johnfm69
Guys

Wife's car has had ASR and BAS light issue for a couple of weeks. Then cab hood stopped mid way and car wouldn't start. Thought battery sounded a bit sluggish so repalced it last night.

Now car runs liek a bag of spanenrs. Idles rough at 500 rpm, stalls if I put it into D, adn if I can get it to drive will not rev over 2500 rpm and wont change gear.

I assuem the MAF is now toast.

However, I read on hear that error codes can be reset by the old 'turn the steering wheel left for 4 sec , right for 4 sec, centralise, turn off, remove key.

Could this reset ECU so that the old MAF can operate with new battery.

Or should I just get a new MAF.

Cannot believe they make a car where a battery change can damage bits!