CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP Blown brake fuse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
HELP Blown brake fuse

2000 clk 430 110k miles
I have 4 malfunctions displayed on my instrument panel: Check lamps, ABS, BAS, ESP. Found out I have no brake lights. Found a blown 15A brake fuse, replaced same, started car and everything cks ok, no messages. Drove the vehicle all day with no problems. The next day I started up the car and stepped on the brake pedal to put it in reverse I get all the same messages with an accompanied blown brake light fuse.
Researched here and found out the brake light switches are known culprits so went to the Dealer and put in a new switch and another fuse. Everything works great, until the 3rd time I drove the vehicle that day and got all the same malfunctions.
I checked both left and right brake light bulb housings connections, bulbs, wiring for chaffing etc. with no trouble found. I am not really sure what to check next, any help much appreciated.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
UPDATE: Problem Solved

I found a pinched/chaffed 3rd brake light wire. It was about 8 inches from the connector end after removing the rear deck lid. The wire was getting pinched between the rear sunshade motor arm and the metal support structure. I could not see the problem w/o removing the deck lid.

The hardest part was removing the rear headrests.