CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Passenger Mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 CLK 430 w/5.4 swap, 2000 CLK430
Passenger Mirror

Some kid cracked the glass when playing in my driveway a few weeks back. I have the glass replacement from the dealership (wanted the family to learn the hard way about german repairs and thus use their own driveway). now i need to install it. before i go pulling away at the glass piece that is shattered are there any things i should know? i saw two wires that looked to be soldered on but i could be wrong. all help is appreciated. a walk through is ideal
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320
i'm not sure if you need to unscrew the motor to put the glass back in, but the two wires your talking about should just unplug from the back of the broken glass if i remember correctly. if you do have to remove the motor, taking it out will be easy because the glass isn't in the way. there are four bolts you need a torx key or screwdriver to take them out. putting it back in the mirror simply clips to the motor and then you'll need to adjust the mirror to get to the screws..annoying but it is possible..just keep moving the mirror until you can get to the screws.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by rjlawlor646
i'm not sure if you need to unscrew the motor to put the glass back in, but the two wires your talking about should just unplug from the back of the broken glass if i remember correctly. if you do have to remove the motor, taking it out will be easy because the glass isn't in the way. there are four bolts you need a torx key or screwdriver to take them out. putting it back in the mirror simply clips to the motor and then you'll need to adjust the mirror to get to the screws..annoying but it is possible..just keep moving the mirror until you can get to the screws.
so the piece should just pop off and then i pop the new one on? thanks for your help!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by mrfajita1989
so the piece should just pop off and then i pop the new one on? thanks for your help!
Yes...even, the kid next door could do it.

Details have been covered in several prior threads.

Tilt mirror forward, remove retaining wire, pull mirror off and remove wire.

Install in reverse.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need to remove the motor. As stated before, tilt the mirror downward, you will see a silver spring clip at the top center area. Simply lift up on the retainer and the mirror will release. As to the 2 wires, the black plastic mirror back has illustrations as to which plug goes into which recepticle.

When you are ready to install, lift the silver retainer wire so it is "caught" on top of the small center tab. Position the mirror, then, with a small screwdriver, release thespring clip and it will lock in place. (You may have to repeat this a couple of times until it is perfectly aligned and SECURELY locks in place.)
Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Serndipity
Yes...even, the kid next door could do it.

Details have been covered in several prior threads.

Tilt mirror forward, remove retaining wire, pull mirror off and remove wire.

Install in reverse.
Originally Posted by LouZ
You don't need to remove the motor. As stated before, tilt the mirror downward, you will see a silver spring clip at the top center area. Simply lift up on the retainer and the mirror will release. As to the 2 wires, the black plastic mirror back has illustrations as to which plug goes into which recepticle.

When you are ready to install, lift the silver retainer wire so it is "caught" on top of the small center tab. Position the mirror, then, with a small screwdriver, release thespring clip and it will lock in place. (You may have to repeat this a couple of times until it is perfectly aligned and SECURELY locks in place.)
perfect. thanks for your help guys