CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Various problems, disappointments

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Various problems, disappointments

You know, when I bought my new factory ordered 2000 430CLK,
I did so with the expectation that buying a Mercedes product
would save me the grief and aggravation of the type of problems
most other cars have. I have to say, at this point; roughly 3
years later, that I am a bit disappointed. Over the past three
years I have experienced many of the problems various users
here have experienced:

1) Bad brake light switch
2) Service Engine Soon light due to bad gas tank cap
3) The famed auto-up window that reopens when it reaches the
4) No sound from the audio system until you turn the car off
and on.
5) Windows do not seat properly when they do close all the way.
Sometimes you hear road noise when it is not seated right.
6) The cranky electric seats that sometimes do not work when
the engine is off. Most times they do, but of course, when you
need it most, they do not.
7) The fuel gauge that reads EMPTY (-- -- on the LCD display) right
after new fill-ups (sometimes). And toggles back and forth at
restarts until you use some gas
8) The fact this thing eats tires like crazy. 20K miles for new tires?
Are you kidding?
9) The passenger side-view mirror that does not always tilt
down when you backup, and sometimes does not tilt back up
when you go forward.
10) The radio has no manual tuning; (other than advance to
next station or go back to previous station - often, i KNOW
where a station is, even though the scanner does not stop
there. (this is more of a design thing - a COMAND issue)

Yes, I realize that the dealer will. and has in most cases,
addressed most of these issues, but it seems to me that with a
supposedly higher-end vehicle such as this, these problems
should not occurr AT ALL. It shows shody design (since many
others experience the same problems) and poor testing by MB.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
What's particularly disappointing is the fact, that you paid $20k plus premium for perceived value, which was just that: imagined value, -- not REAL value.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:51 AM

2000 CLK 430
I am begining to feel your pain. I just bought a used 2000 CLK 430 w/ only 19,000 miles. Brand new condidtion! But, I have already had the engine light issue (and I bet its the gas cap - have not gotten it checked yet) and the window did the up-down thing yesterday for the first time! The gas gage did not work when I bought it and the front seat started squiking so bad, i was going to shoot myself. Fortuntately I bought it at a dealership so they fixed the gas gage and the seat, but I need to go in about the light and the window. AND OH YEA, THE AC SUCKS TOO!

My Mustang had fewer issues at 140,000 miles.

I am just like you - I love the looks and the feel of the car, but never figured and having this many issues, big or small. I will be on the lookout for the rest of the probelms on your list.
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2003, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.............just to help ease some of your pain. The Comand does have manual tunning. Just press * and then manually enter the station you want.

Ted
Old 04-15-2003, 09:24 AM

'99 CLK320, '82 300D, '67 Piper Cherokee
Sorry to hear about your problems!
I am starting to wonder if it could it be that some of these problems are Chrysler technology problems creeping into MB autos after the merger in the late 90's? I would have hoped that the two companies stayed separate in as far as manufacturing & technology goes but I don't know if that is true. I know Chrysler has always had quality issues, I hope that MB doesn't start having the same issues because of their association with Chrysler!

I just bought a 99 CLK with 16K miles on it and after a few days the check engine light came on...dealer said it was probably a gas cap. I sure hope none of these other problems start...I will be very disappointed.

Have older MB cars had these same problems?

I have a 1982 300D with 235k miles that is still running strong with (knock on wood) no problems at all in the years that I have owned it...in fact I would rather drive that car than many new cars.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Yeah,
I'm feeling you guys....

1. Squeaky seat after being 'repaired' only 3 months ago
2. Sunroof/headliner rattles like crazy over bumps
3. Cigarette lighter adapter doesn't work
4. Windshield washer doesn't work
5. Power seats do the freak out thing every once in a while
6. CD player fails to go to next track without 'reboot'
7. Passenger side door fails to close without being slammed

This list could go on and on, but why, I'll just take it to the stealer for the last possible time before my warranty runs out, just hope they fix it all!!

Has anyone had a problem keeping an alignment on the car, mine wants to pull right even after an alignment and new tires??
Old 04-15-2003, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 clk's are definitely the worse. Imagine having those problems and not having a warranty
Old 04-17-2003, 03:08 AM
D-5

2003 E55
same here, very dissappointed at MB's quality
2000 CLK 430

1) ABS+ESP light went on
2) window rolls down then rolls back up
3) Xenon light stays on
4) driver side mirror vibrates when driving
5) passenger side seat doesn't retract backwards
6) cd not ejecting properly from command
7) no sound coming out of the passenger side speakers
8) and more...

most of the problems that I mention only happen from time to time, the dealer won't fix them until they see it, not very happy...

unlike my 94 Lexus, never park in the garage, never warm up the car, and I beat it around! No other problems except the remote and memory seat does not work, everything else is perfect!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:12 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
WOW, I just I am one of the lucky few....

99CLK430/52000 miles

problems so far:

1. sun roof rattles sometimes
2. seat rattles sometimes
3. MUST slam passenger door to close it
4. Driver side map pocket on door rattles almost all the time

These are reocurring problems that so far the dealer still have not been able to fix.

SO far so good, I can live with the small rattles, just turn up the stereo!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 08:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Actually, it's pretty sad that even those problems are occurring in a $50K Mercedes Benz. It's a shame to have to say "So far, so good" when there's a list of niggling problems preceding the statement.

I've had two M-Bs prior to the current '00 CLK 430. The first was a 1982 300D Turbodiesel. That thing was an absolute tank. I drove it until it had 147,000 miles on it and the ONLY things it required beyond tires and normal service was a heater fan motor and a set of shocks. No rattles, no electrical gemlins, nothing.

Then I had an '86 300E that I drove until it had about 60K miles on it. It never really gave any problems either (one little minor thing but I can't recall what it was right now).

In between and after those I had 3 BMWs (most recently a 2001 M3) a turbo Volvo, and several Japanese cars. Friends and family members had other M-Bs and BMWs and I've spent time in those cars and did a bit or wrenching on them. None of them had the level of problems reported by some of the guys here.

I (my wife, actually) just bought the 35K mile CLK and haven't put many miles on it yet, but if it gives the extensive troubles that some have reported here, it'll get the boot and there probably won't be another M-B in the garage. Somewhat related to the guy who mentioned the problem-free '94 Lexus, I have a '95 Supra that I've been running at 625-750+ RWHP for almost 3 years now and not one single thing has broken (I've refitted it with a big single turbo, large-diameter exhaust system, high-capacity fuel system, piggy back electronics, larger intercooler, cams and worked head, larger wheels and tires, and a heavy duty clutch; everything else is stock), nothing rattles, there are no electrical gremlins despite all the piggy-back electronics, and the car still looks and feels like new. Any car that is going to impress me with engineering and build quality has a long road ahead. Any car that can't stay together when left in stock form ain't gonna get much love unless there is some ultra-redeeming quality about it.

Steve

Originally posted by xyzpl
WOW, I just I am one of the lucky few....

99CLK430/52000 miles

problems so far:

1. sun roof rattles sometimes
2. seat rattles sometimes
3. MUST slam passenger door to close it
4. Driver side map pocket on door rattles almost all the time

These are reocurring problems that so far the dealer still have not been able to fix.

SO far so good, I can live with the small rattles, just turn up the stereo!!!

Last edited by I6turbo; 04-17-2003 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:42 PM

I second that
Old 04-19-2003, 12:19 PM

2000 CLK 430
Rear window shade

One more small prob -
Has anyone had the rear window shade not roll back in properly? Mine sometimes won't fold back straight w/o a little help.
One more to add to the list.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Almost a Member!

I just discovered my first "problem," though it's not much of a problem -- mostly just a disappointment to learn that they were paying so little attention during assembly of the car.

The passenger side rear fog light (these lights comes on when you have the lights on and pull the light switch all the way out) came from the factory without a bulb in it. The light fixture has a knock-out plate that must be removed before you can put a bulb in (I assume the fixture is sometimes used on cars that do not have rear fog lights, hence the knock-out plate). The knock-out plate is still in place so that means that no bulb could have been installed during assembly at the factory -- in other words, there's no way that someone has simply removed the bulb after the car left the factory.

Steve
Old 04-19-2003, 03:04 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
The rear fog light only comes on the driver side. It is normal.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Oh... okay. That's good to know. I didn't see anything about that in the quick review of the owner's manual so I was expecting it to be on both sides.

However, my first actual problem may have just arisen. The CD changer isn't recognized by the head unit. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Hopefully it's just a loose connection or something simple.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:25 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
Re: Rear window shade

Originally posted by Supermeals
One more small prob -
Has anyone had the rear window shade not roll back in properly? Mine sometimes won't fold back straight w/o a little help.
One more to add to the list.
I had that problem. Sometimes I left my sunshade up for a long time (a week) and when I roll them down, they won't go back in. I can see the shade is not tucked in properly from the rear windshield, about 2" is hanging out. So I have to repeat rolling up and down for 3, 4 times until it finally goes in.

I first thought it's because I left it strached out too long, so it won't curl back in. But I have it checked out 'cause it's getting really annoying. They said a plastic piece that holds the shade is broken inside and they replaced a new one. Although it took them 3 days to fix that little minor problem, but I never have to play "rolling sunshade game" even if I left the shade up for a long time.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:02 PM

2000 CLK 430
Thanks

Thanks -
Yep - that's exactly what mine does. The next time I take it in I will have them check it out.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only problems I had was gas gauge didn't read right and auto-up windows drops down, and those are taken care of under warranty. Little problems are better than major ones.

-Bruce
Old 04-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Almost a Member!

I'm the champion!

Champion of problems with the CLK 430, that is. I just got a copy of the service history on the 35K mile '00 CLK 430 that we bought from Pennmark Auto Group (West Chester Mercedes) a few days ago. But before I continue with this story... Keep in mind that the car looks literally brand new and at the time it was delivered all systems were functioning flawlessly. Satisfaction was guarenteed by Pennmark.

Since delivery -- probably 300 miles or so of driving to date -- the CD changer stopped working and the transmission, when cold, sometimes doesn't want to shift out of 1st gear until you rev it to 3500 RPM or drive a quarter mile or more. Annoying, but not in themselves reasons to be TOO concerned.

THEN, I received the copy of the service history in the mail. The car has had 30 problems addressed under warranty in its 35K mile life! Mostly little niggling electrical things, but good greif!!! I would not tolerate that sort of thing on a $9K Kia! That's a trip to the shop every 1000 miles -- that's worse than a 1970 Harley Davidson!

Needless to say, I have lost most of the respect I had for this particular car, and if this is indicative of all CLKs or MB's, then in my opinion, they are garbage quality by any modern standard, and I have made a big mistake (which I will soon correct) in buying one. If this is unique to my particular car, then the thing should have been crushed under the lemon law and Pennmark should not have been looking to resell it to their customers. A warranty item every 1000 miles!? Pathetic.

I sent Pennmark a message (with a lot more detail than here) and copied MBUSA and asked two questions to start:
1. Is the level of problems and continual failures with this car typical of modern Mercedes-Benz automobiles?

2. Is it Pennmark's policy to re-sell cars such as this one -- cars with a dreadful history of problems -- to its customers?

I will share the outcome of all this with you guys if you're interested.

Steve - thinks that Lexus is looking more and more interesting all the time
Old 04-25-2003, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
What were the 30 problems and/or the "little niggling electrical things"?

Were any fixed? What an ourage!!

...but I have seen worse by poster from Hong Kong last year, who had many more defects with his CLK, also mostly electrical. Obviously, after a year he got rid of his CLK and does not post here anymore.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Almost a Member!

I'll bring in the service history pages and post some details next week.

Pennmark called in quick response to my message. They started telling me that the car is under warranty, so everything will be taken care of. I told them that dropping the car at the shop every thousand miles isn't my idea of "everything being taken care of." They asked me what I wanted to do, and I said I'd give it some thought and get back to them next week. Thing is, I bought this car primarily for my wife, and when she learns the history of the car, I doubt that she will be interested in owning it.

In case you're interested and don't have anything better to read, here's a copy of what I sent to Pennmark.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Guys,

I received the paperwork packet of a couple of days ago. The $80 check for the unused portion of the transportation charge was not in there, nor was there any indication of what brand and type of engine oil has been used in the car. I was promised both of these items and would like you to send them to me without further delay.

I was very, very disappointed when I saw the service history on the car. This car has experienced 30(!!!) warranty repairs in its short 35K mile life. (This is my 3rd Mercedes-Benz and the previous two experienced no more than 3 problems combined during their entire lives, a total of over 200K miles.) This car has experienced almost one problem per thousand miles! And furthermore, the car now has three additional problems:
1. CD changer does not work
2. One of the three programmable remote controls does not work
3. The transmission is sometimes very slow to shift out of 1st gear when cold (won't shift out until you've driven the car about a quarter mile at about 3500 RPM or more).

By any definition I can imagine, this car would be classified as a lemon. That being said, I have two questions for you. If you do not have the answers, please go up the chain of command to find them as it will save me time in searching out someone in Pennmark to answer them for me.

1. Is the level of problems and continual failures with this car typical of modern Mercedes-Benz automobiles?

2. Is it Pennmark's policy to re-sell cars such as this one -- cars with a dreadful history of problems -- to its customers?
The reason that I purchased the car from Pennmark was that I trusted you would only sell the highest quality pre-owned vehicles to your customers. This belief resulted from discussions with you guys and from Pennmark's public claim as follows:

>>Pennmark Auto Group has committed itself to providing you the highest quality automobiles and exceptional service you expect since 1994.<<

I can not imagine how a car with a problem history such as this one can be considered the caliber of automobile that a responsible dealership would knowingly pass off on its customers. Is this, in Pennmark's view, the type of vehicle that should be resold to Pennmark customers instead of unloaded at a regional auction?

I look forward to an explanation of these matters from Pennmark.

Sincerely,
>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-25-2003, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
FYI there is MUCH WORSE!!
Posted : 4/24/2002 @ MBWORLD
The quality of Mercedes has regretfully plummeted:
Because of experiences like this from a Hong Kong CLK cabriolet owner, who does not post here anymore -- he is an engineer --

START QUOTE

"Since January of this year &

25,000 kilometres on the clock:

1. Front passenger's seat adjustment controls fail.
2. Driver's seat adjustment controls fail - independent of 1. above.
3. Nearside wing mirror stops returning automatically to its normal position
after reversing.
4. Soft top locking mechanism goes out of adjustment and rattles.
5. Trunk lid very difficult to close, lock adjusted.
6. L/H front door speaker rattling and distorting, mountings tightened up.
7. Soft top refuses to open.
8. Trunk refuses to open remotely, although it works with mechanical key.
9. Tachometer needle jumps around wildly. Instrument cluster replaced.
10. Driver's seat control unit faulty, stored positions lost.
11. Severe brake fade, dealer checks and says pads and fluid OK.
12. Severe brake fade, dealer again says pads and fluid OK.
13. Brakes fail on a 1:6 downslope and approaching a hairpin bend with a 100 ft drop off the edge. Skill, training, experience get me out trouble without a scratch. Dealer discovers fluid has chemically changed due to overheating - fluid replaced. I cross a mountain pass almost every day,1200 ft level change, average 1:8 gradients up then down again, hairpin bends, etc. Dealer says problem is caused by my failure to use low gear on downslope. However, with 40 yrs driving experience, I know to always use low gear to take pressure off brakes and tell him so. I also point out that my experience got me out of trouble when brakes failed avoiding a very big accident and claim against MB and dealer from my dependents. Interestingly, this problem has never recurred, despite regularly repeating that journey with the same driving style for a further year. I wonder about the original brake fluid.
14. Piston/spring inside trunk lid to push lid up when remotely opened,
falls off.
15. Rain sensor for windscreen wipers becomes erratic, often wiping fast
when almost no rain and wiping slow when rain heavier.
16. Fuel gauge fails - no reading. Tank sensors replaced.
17. After next tank refill, fuel gauge sticks in full position (62 litres),
tank sensors replaced again.
18. After next tank refill fuel gauge sticks in empty position (0 litres),
instrument cluster replaced.
19. Replacement of instrument cluster loses all stored data like ave. fuel
consumption since reset, distance to next service, etc. Dealer returns car
to me without correcting. Car returned for dealer to transfer data off old
instrument cluster.
20. Data transfer unsuccessful, dealer admits that new instrument cluster
requires revised software, must obtain from Germany. Software sent by snail
mail, takes 1 month to arrive. Data transfer successful.
21. Fuel gauge sticks in full position (62 litres) for approximately 100 km
after tank filled. Last 10-12 litres of fuel (according to readout) used
up in only 10 km, no gas station nearby, run out of fuel. Dealer admits he
can do no more. Get used to incorrect fuel gauge readings and always fill
up before display reads 15 litres.
22. After 6 month service, car returned with engine idle unsteady and fuel
consumption increased by some 50-60%. Engine management system adjusted and
fuel consumption improves by some 10-15%. Dealer denies any fuel
consumption problem caused by servicing, must be my driving style. Dealer
also claims that the current consumption is normal and refuses to believe I
ever obtained better figures prior to service. I show him MB brochure
which confirms my fuel consumption prior to service to be correct. Dealer
claims I must now be using the wrong fuel.
23. 1 month later throttle pedal sticks, very difficult to press down to
accelerate.
24. A further 1 month later, loss of engine power, management system
adjusted, spark plugs and airfilter replaced.
25. Driver's side window lifter adjusted when window would not close
properly.
26. Numerous rattles and creaks develop, soft top frame adjusted, door trims
removed and reinstalled, instrument panel removed and reinstalled, driver's
and rear seats removed, and reinstalled, door sill fixings adjusted.
27. Interior lamp fails.
28. Electronic ignition lock replaced after difficulty accepting ignition
key.
29. Outside temperature readout displays crazy numbers, instrument cluster
replaced.
30. Car returned to me with instrument cluster data corrupted, incorrect
readout of distance to next service etc. Returned for rectification.

SEE 12 more continued in post below!
Old 04-25-2003, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
...CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST:

31. Soft top gets stuck in half down position at beginning of journey.
Problem clears after 5 minutes with engine off, then opening can be
completed. At end of journey, soft top refuses to close, remains stuck
inside trunk compartment. On way to important business meeting, so have to
leave car in public carpark with top down.
32. Music system starts showing signs of distortion generally. Dealer
checks all speaker connections and mountings, reports no problem. I object
to no avail.
33. I foolishly try to open soft top at busy junction while lights at red to
impress new woman. Roof sticks in half down position and car refuses to
move, major traffic jam and redface. Engine off for 5 minutes clears
problem, temporarily. At least woman sees funny side of incident.
34. Trunk refuses to open even with mechanical key after return from
supermarket. Fresh milk and other perishables locked inside. Ambient
temperatures approx. 90 F. in shade. Dealer takes 4 hours to travel 10
miles for emergency repair. New trunk locking mechanism subsequently
required.
35. I travel in friend's ML320, hear his standard music system and wonder
why my Bose sound system upgrade sounds so much worse. Ask dealer to
confirm that Bose system is working properly. Dealer reports no problem.
36. After re-checking car manual and MB brochure, I wonder why volume of
sound system does not adjust itself with changing road speeds as described
by manual or in response to changing ambient noise levels as described by
brochure. Dealer's head office advises no such features exist or are
described in said documents, I must have misread them. Bear in mind he is
Chinese with poor English language skills and I am British with a law
degree. Irritated I go to MB website to check, speed-activated sound
control is advertised, ambient noise level function not mentioned.
37. I go back to dealer armed with copy of manual and print-out from website
and demand to see superior. He admits that the manual is correct and
speed-activated volume control is a standard feature. I demand he take out
the radio unit and show me the cables connecting the radio unit to some sort
of speed activation device. None exist. Dealer is surprised that MB failed
to install as its part of the standard system. I point out that MB brochure
claims the Bose system to have microcomputer which measures ambient noise
levels and automatically adjusts volume in response. Thus, the speed
activation would be superfluous and need not be fitted. Dealer refuses to
accept argument and agrees to connect the speed activation cable. I refuse
as I am concerned that this may affect the alleged Bose function.
38. Soft top sticks in half down position, after 5 minutes with engine off,
problem clears. At end of journey, I go to trunk to retrieve briefcase and
discover that the luggage cover has come apart. The cover consists of a
fabric section which rolls up when retracted and is attached to a hard
plastic section which locks into the upper part of the trunk. The fabric
and the plastic sections are now separated.
39. Driver's window lifter goes out of adjustment.
Had enough of problems - advertise car for sale.
40. CD changer in trunk starts giving problems. Laser head bounces around
causing loss of music and damage to CDs.
41. Write to dealer with copy of brochure I obtained prior to ordering car
and latest brochure available from dealer's showroom. Each states that Bose
sound system includes a computer which automatically adjusts music volume in
response to changing ambient noise levels so that driver does not need to do
so manually. I advise that Bose website states that the Bose sound system
was designed in conjunction with design of CLK and is fitted as standard to
all CLKs. I ask dealer why I had to pay for the Bose sound system as an
optional extra and why music volume is not adjusted as described in their
brochure. After senior management consideration, dealer confirms that Bose
sound system is standard equipment for the CLK and agrees to reimburse the
additional cost I paid. However, dealer admits that brochures are incorrect
and no computer adjusted volume control system was ever designed for the
CLK - only the S series. Dealer confirms that speed-activated volume
control is the only adjustment provided for the CLK and agrees to have this
installed.
42. Electronic ignition lock fails to accept key on 3 attempts, accepts on
4th, but turning key does nothing. Remove key, re-insert and turn, engine
starts but stalls when I release the key. Remove key, re-insert and turn,
engine starts and again stalls when I release the key. 3rd attempt
successful." unquote

WOW!! UNREAL!! - Can anyone match this??
Old 04-25-2003, 09:25 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
[QUOTE][i]This car has experienced almost one problem per thousand miles! And furthermore, the car now has three additional problems:
1. CD changer does not work
2. One of the three programmable remote controls does not work
3. The transmission is sometimes very slow to shift out of 1st gear when cold (won't shift out until you've driven the car about a quarter mile at about 3500 RPM or more).

The other numerous problems aside let me address two of the new ones.

If the remote was ever dropped on a hard concrete floor it may crack some of the circuit board, the battery might be shot or the contacts to the battery may need a cleaning.

The transmission is designed to hold 1st gear when cold in order to allow the catalytic converters to heat up quicker, although staying in 1st gear and not shifting for a quarter mile is out of the norm.

I had a clk that had lots of prolems and most were recitified, I admire your checking the service history as most people don't.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Unbelievable! Is it a Mercedes-Benz?.....or too many Chrysler parts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Various problems, disappointments