CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

water in Trunk (boot)? help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
water in Trunk (boot)? help

Hi guys..

There's been a lot of rain recently and I noticed like about 4"" of water in my trunk (boot) the other day! I have never had any leaks before and the trunk has always been dry with no signs of any rust or water marks, so this is something thats just started. I got a hose and poured water, and climbed inside the car with a torch, I noticed that there was a drip coming from the rubber gasket on one of corners were the tunk meets the body so have cleaned out the build up of dirt and it seems to have stopped.

Has anyone had this problem and no what the common areas for leaks are?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
Not here bro...
and commons for leak mostly is when the rubber trimming gets beat.... or its off track or rust for sure
Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'02 CLK 320 2000 clk320
This used to happen to me. I pulled the rubber trim off of the trunk and cleaned out the drains. My footwells used to get some water in them too, so I cleaned out the drain, and the bucket in the front. Search for the fix.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Originally Posted by myworld
This used to happen to me. I pulled the rubber trim off of the trunk and cleaned out the drains. My footwells used to get some water in them too, so I cleaned out the drain, and the bucket in the front. Search for the fix.
Yup, haven't heard of any other leak problems other than the trunk and footwells.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM

'02 CLK 320 2000 clk320
Sunroof???
Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Sunroof???
This one doesn't really apply to me as I have a cab; I've scoured this forum as well as benzworld (literally, looked through all the archives and such) and never came across a leaking sunroof -- always the trunk and footwells.

Only problem I've ever heard with the sunroofs was them getting stuck or the rails coming off the tracks, and this problem pretty much exists with any car with a sunroof. That's not to say this won't happen, but considering the roof has the exterior trim seal along with the raised interior seals, leaves/grime aren't as likely to get caught in the drains up on top. I would say it's not likely to happen unless you leave your sunroof open under a tree in autumn often
Old 11-12-2010, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had a close look at the rubber trim and saw that the water seemed to be running up the inside of the rubber where it fits onto the metal lip of the trunk, especially on the metal joints and clips. I noticed some white grease on the metal, did you re-grease when you put the rubber trim back on the metal lip?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 PM

'02 CLK 320 2000 clk320
i didnt see any grease so i didnt put any back. call the dealer. they would really know
Old 11-16-2010, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trunk leak Fixed and my full tank sender is working agai ? !!

i didnt see any grease so i didnt put any back. call the dealer. they would really know
OK thanks for the info guys on were to look for the leak in my trunk, it was indeed the rubber seal gasket that goes all the way around the lip of the trunk and there was alot of debris under neath the side plastic trim too. I removed all the crap and cleaned inside the groove of the rubber trim as there was muck in there too with a screwdriver and cloth. I then noticed that there was the white protection grease used in the groove which had deteriated and dried out. I applied new grease and re-fitted the trim. Tested it with the hose and there was no sign of leaks ! great...

Then strangely my fuel gauge that had been playing up started to work again so I am now very happy !