CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

intresting and confusing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
intresting and confusing

hello to everyone and early happy thanksgiving to all. As some may know ive been having problems with my steering wheel shaking. on monday my driver front tire was low and i filled up with air, then had the same issue on tuesday but this time it was on the passenger side, right after i filedup my the tire i started to get a violent steering shake once i pass 50mph. so i went to the tire shop and they balanced my tires and said that the balance was completly off due to tire wear. the vibration got better but it was still there, so i went to a alinment shop today that does some race cars and they are very reputable around my area for suspension tunning specially on porsches and they brought the machine out that spons the tire on the car(on car balancing) and showed what looked like the as if the tire was punched on the side inner edge. an dthey told me the tire beading is off but they cant tell why that happened when last night that tire was fine when the other shop was balancing it and keep in mind the tire is less than 2 months old, so next they went to checlk the suspension for me and they said my driver side wheel bearings are toasted which ok i can understand they may have been tightened up too much. now here is where my question is, i just changed the complete drag link assembly about two months ago, when i drove it home and around that day i was in love with my car once again no shaking no vinration and stiff steering felt great, but the next day the steering felt loose again and i havent been able to figure out the situation until today at the new alignment shop, they pointed out that the there was a little play where they inner tie rod meets the center link on the drag link assembly. one of the techs told me that the weld has came loose which made no sense to me because thats not a welded piece bceuae i know they sell the inner tie rod assembley by itself that you can change, so there is no way for that piece to be welded. when they moved the wheel they showed me a little play. i'm wondering how does the inner tie rod connects to the center link and how do you tie it up because it just looks like a metal booth that the inner tie rod goes into. if anyone can answer this question itll be great it has about a 4 mm play, i also attached the picture of my exact drag link assembley and high lighted the area where the play is.
Attached Thumbnails intresting and confusing-9d13_12.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
is the new drag link assembly oem? if not maybe you could compare the area that has 4mm play to a oem/dealer assembly. just a guess Ash.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe its the steering wheel...
ever since we swapped, my shaking went away! (just messing w/u)
Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by SoCalw11w123
maybe its the steering wheel...
ever since we swapped, my shaking went away! (just messing w/u)
lol
Old 11-25-2010, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
socal, whats the propper way of installing the front wheel bearings, i was told the driver sides are toast because they were probably tightened too much, so once you change the bearing and the race and repack with new greece, whats thee proper procedure of re-installing?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
is the new drag link assembly oem? if not maybe you could compare the area that has 4mm play to a oem/dealer assembly. just a guess Ash.
Thanks DL its not oem but unfortunatly i trashed the oem one right after it came off of the car, it was beat to hell. lol