CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Keys locked in trunk (boot)? Heres my seat release mod from the inside! (photos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Keys locked in trunk (boot)? Heres my seat release mod from the inside! (photos)

Okay so I know there's a few people out there that have locked their car keys in the boot (trunk) including myself just recently.! Well ever since that dark, snowy evening I was determined to find away!.
Just before Christmas I unlocked my trunk with the remote key, threw in my bags quick as the snow was coming down and I was feezing and closed the trunk to get into my nice warm car, only to find I had dropped them inside the trunk as I was putting the bags in. So with the doors also locked I managed to eventually get in with a piece of wire by hooking the passenger door handle from the drivers side (the best way) and get in with the alarm blaring. Now inside however, I had to get into the trunk but my seats were up and locked (no red tabs showing). I managed to hook the keys with the wire through the small hole under the first aid tray on the rear deck, but it took some time.
Yes I could just leave one seat unlocked with the red tab up , but i'm fussy and don't like the idea with kids in the back in case I break hard and something in the boot pushes the seat forward etc.
So here is my mod to release the seats down from the inside....(see photos)

1. Choose a seat and release it down
2. Remove first aid plastic tray by pulling up and towards you.
3. Drill a small 5mm hole through the latch hole into the first aid hatch (see photo)
4. Take a small length of cable and form a loop at one end using a crimp.
5. Pop off the plastic swivel on the latch, hook the loop on, & push back the plastic swivel.
(see photo)
6. Feed the other end of the cable through your drilled hole and into the first aid hatch
7. Attach a handle of some sort (screw driver) and test by pulling towards rear of car.
8. Place handle neatly in rubber groove, and re-fit first aid tray.

You now have an internal seat release in case of emergency.

Hope this bit of safety measure helps someone when the inevitable happens !
Attached Thumbnails Keys locked in trunk (boot)? Heres my seat release mod from the inside! (photos)-boot-release-mod-1.jpg   Keys locked in trunk (boot)? Heres my seat release mod from the inside! (photos)-boot-release-mod-3.jpg   Keys locked in trunk (boot)? Heres my seat release mod from the inside! (photos)-boot-release-mod-4.jpg   Keys locked in trunk (boot)? Heres my seat release mod from the inside! (photos)-boot-release-mod-5.jpg   Keys locked in trunk (boot)? Heres my seat release mod from the inside! (photos)-boot-release-mod-6.jpg  

Keys locked in trunk (boot)? Heres my seat release mod from the inside! (photos)-boot-release-mod-7.jpg  
Old 02-15-2020, 02:23 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
You probably don't expect it after 9 years, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for this thread!
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by shadenfroh
You probably don't expect it after 9 years, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for this thread!
As long as we own these cars, there will be threads that we'll appreciate! 👍
2MERKS