CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Lower Control Arm Polyurethane Bushings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
Lower Control Arm Polyurethane Bushings

Anbody with polyurethane bushings experience? Longevity experience? Anyone know where to source some? Lpdautoparts was mentioned but they don't carry clk parts..will c class or e class work?

http://store.lpdautoparts.com/9401--...029401202.html
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by slowsky
Anbody with polyurethane bushings experience? Longevity experience? Anyone know where to source some? Lpdautoparts was mentioned but they don't carry clk parts..will c class or e class work?

http://store.lpdautoparts.com/9401--...029401202.html
I've had them, IMHO they factory ones work just fine. If your stock bushings aren't going bad I would leave them be, but if they are bad then these are cheaper than factory.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:54 PM

2011 C63
Think Chappy had these a few years back. Maybe he can chime in on how they have held up.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
would these fit the clk? thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
I think they will. I was looking at the same poly bushings a few months ago. I read a bunch over on the C forum awhile ago and there was talk that they would fit the CLK. call the dealership and have him compare the part numbers of the C & CLK oem bushings and if they are the same the aftermarket bushing may work. I eventually didn't buy them for the same reasons ghostrider mentioned.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by slowsky
Think Chappy had these a few years back. Maybe he can chime in on how they have held up.
Sorry, just noticed this thread.

My factory LCA bushings were shot with very few miles on them. The outer rubber had separated causing the 60mph shimmy I couldn't get rid of.

The poly bushings seem to be holding up well. I still have them and IMO they really shine at high speed (above 100mph). The whole car just seems much more planted.

If LPD still sells these, the W202 bushings fit the W208....exact match. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Hey guys, where do i get the upper control arm bushings as well as the inner and outer tie rods? Additionally, what do you recommend other the the k-mac for the front camber? Thanks for the help, i've searched around but really want the best it all needs to be changed as my car is lowered.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk 320
The upper control arm bushings cannot be replaced from what I heard.the whole part has to be replaced.I've seen tie rods on ebay.idk about their quality or whether they're oem parts but its worth a try.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by sick430
Hey guys, where do i get the upper control arm bushings as well as the inner and outer tie rods? Additionally, what do you recommend other the the k-mac for the front camber? Thanks for the help, i've searched around but really want the best it all needs to be changed as my car is lowered.
I never located a source for these. Perhaps someone else has?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
I've had them, IMHO they factory ones work just fine. If your stock bushings aren't going bad I would leave them be, but if they are bad then these are cheaper than factory.
took the ride to the dealership for an alignment and was told I needed new front lower control arm bushings. With only 31K I asked? The service mgr said "your car is kinda old." 31K miles is not old I said? I could have f'd them up when I put in new springs and front MB camber bolts. MB wanted $400 apiece for the bushings. NOT! Can anyone give advice on diagnosing bad control arm bushings? And, has anyone ever clarified if the poly bushings that will fit the C(above)will also fit the CLK?

Last edited by dlbehrns; 07-08-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:28 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
took the ride to the dealership for an alignment and was told I needed new lower control arm bushings. With only 31K I asked? The service mgr said "your car is kinda old." 31K miles is not old I said? I could have f'd them up when I put in new springs and front MB camber bolts. MB wanted $400 apiece for the bushings. NOT! Can anyone give advice on diagnosing bad control arm bushings? And, has anyone ever clarified if the poly bushings that will fit the C(above)will also fit the CLK?
Rubber bushings die out in two ways: you drive the car or they're chronologically old. You're coming up on 12 years on the original bushings -- rubber is prone to dry rot...which can happen over time.

Yes, any bushing that fits the 202 will fit the 208. Symptoms can be clunking when making a turn, a metallic rubbing sound, highway speed shimmy, wandering, pulling to the side at speed, or extended vibration after going over imperfections in the road. Ask me how I know.

I'm killing two birds with one stone by installing KMAC bushings. Adjustable camber/caster for a reasonable cost plus poly bushings that will last a hell of a lot longer than rubber. Or you can go with non-adjustable poly bushings like above or get the OEM. Since you're having problems with ride height on your V springs, you may want to take the opportunity (whichever option you choose) to loosen the 2 LCA bolts on each side on the front and the one LCA bolt on each side in the rear, bounce the car a bit or take it for a quick spin to let the suspension settle to normal ride height and retighten the bolts with the full weight of the car on the suspension.

Last edited by mint; 07-08-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
hey twinsin, when I replaced the 4 inner control arm bolts with the MB camber bolts I tightened them down with the wheel hanging. I was scolded on Benzworld and told that would blow out the bushing. I didn't think it made a difference but it seems it did. My bad! So, I jacked the car up put it on stands loosened the bolts then loaded each wheel with the floor jack and tightened them back down. Took the car to the get it aligned and was told by the dealer the bushings were blown and it would only cost me $1K to replace them. ghostrider tells me that only the rear bushing usually goes. The front one is hard. I trust Mel's opinion. But guess what? I can find an oem front lower control arm bushing anywhere. I'm told they only come with the complete arm for around $300 each. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
bump
Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Would someone please post a WIS page on the front suspension brakedown of parts for a 320. I have never been able to get mine to work but many thanks to Marcus anywho. TIA! dlb
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
I cant help you with the WIS but I can confirm the w202 bushings fit like a glove. It took a press to get the OEM rubber out but the new poly slip in by hand. The bushings should be installed with lube since poly is prone to squeak when dry. Also the bolt is the pivot with the bushing fixed so I dont see a difference if the suspension is loaded or not when tightened. It made no diference in my application and aligned without issue. They were about $90 for the pair. I left OEM rubber in the front as that joint was still fine.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
hey bobby, thanks for the feedback. I have it on good advice that the polys are stiffer than oem. others say not. I am going to give them a try. the price is right. I don't know what to say about loaded or not because there are both opinionsn as well. The shop I am taking the car to said yes on the loaded issue so I am going to let them make the call.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
update: took the slab to an indy/sprint car shop my son recommended and I was asked by the tech if the front end was popping when I turn in tight spaces. they said the front bearings were bad as opposed to what the dealer said that the control arm bushings were bad. I watched as they looked over the front end. They are going to replace the front bearings, and with my parts install new Porterfield brake pads front and back as well as put my Brembo rotors on and do a sport alignment for $650.00. The dealer wanted $1195 to align and replace bushings. DON'T GET ME STARTED. So...I have a set of poly bushings on the way I don't need. When I mentioned that the tech said "you won't like them because, not matter how much you lube them they will eventually squeak." Anybody had that experience?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Poly bushings are prone ta squeak. Mine have given zero noise in the year Ive had them. The more typical sway bar bushings need regular maintainence to avoid the dreaded squeak. Really depends greatly on the application and of course the install.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
bobby: you said "depends greatly on the application and of course the install." Is there anything different in the way poly bushings are installed? TIA!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:54 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
By application I mean the body mount sway bar poly bushings WILL squeak. They are different because the bushing is static and the bar rotates in direct contact. The LCA bushings are static to the LCA with a metal sleeve to insulate direct contact with the bolt. In applications where the poly bushing is in direct contact with a moving part, I.E. sway bar body mount bushings, I like to drill through the bushing and mount and install a zirk fitting. That way you can lube the bushing without removal. I really dont see this being an issue with the LCA bushings but time will tell.