CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Reoccuring ESP/ABS/BAS message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK430 Cabriolet
Reoccuring ESP/ABS/BAS message

Every now and then we get the ESP/ABS/BAS message (3 malfunctions) and sometimes it will be years before it comes back. It is always in winter and usually taking off from a stop turning. Slight wheel slip might be occuring also. I was thinking front wheel speed sensor issue. I don't have access to a Mercedes scan tool. Anyone have any ideas? I read a lot about brake light switch issues too on these pages.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 PM

'99 CLK320, '91 BMW 325Ic
I have the same problem with mine. I changed the brake light switch, and it still comes, and goes. It's seems to be an electrical gremlin that most clk's have.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:18 AM

2001 CLK430 Cabriolet
ESP/ABS/BAS malfunction

Thanks for the reply, Rick. My Daimler/Chrysler trainer friend told me that it could be that the controller has perimeters that are too sensitive and wheel speed variations are judged too critically leading to the erroneous message. Sometimes a computer reflash is performed when this happens with engine controllers but I have not heard of a reflash being available for this issue.

I am considering replacing the brake switch and both front wheel sensors because it happens when turning. It might be a waste of $200. I wonder if the controller stores a hard code when the message appears that remains in memory after the message is gone after a restart. Anybody MB techs out there that might know??????
Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Before you go spending money, try the steering wheel reset procedure; I don't know if the key has to be at a certain position when you do this, so I'd try them all: off, on, acc, ignition.

1.) turn steering wheel full lock left, wait a couple seconds
2.) turn steering wheel full lock right, wait a couple seconds
3.) recenter steering well, and wait a couple more seconds

See if that fixes your problem first before you start throwing money at it. I'd do this first -- if that doesn't work, replace the brake light switch and try this procedure again. If that doesn't do it, then more than likely it's a wheel speed sensor malfunction.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 PM

2001 CLK430 Cabriolet
More info on the brake light switch

We have a Snap On MODIS where I work with the European harness update and software. I attached it to the round data link connector under the hood and found a C1041 Undocumented Code and a C1200 Brake Light Switch code in the Traction control module data. I cleared the code and then went down a long hill and applied the brakes about 30 times. I got lucky that the EPS/ABS/BAS message came back and I went back home and pulled codes and the brake light code had reset so I think a brake light switch will fix it. I could also look at the data stream which had ABS sensor data and brake light data. The NC (normally closed) data stream says OFF with the brake pedal applied and also when not applied. This seems like an issue. The NO (normally open) data changed from OFF to ON when pumping the pedal.

I tried to access the ABS/ESP module data and I could not achieve communication for some reason.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 AM

mb c200 kompressor
HI

Originally Posted by wifesbenzfixer
We have a Snap On MODIS where I work with the European harness update and software. I attached it to the round data link connector under the hood and found a C1041 Undocumented Code and a C1200 Brake Light Switch code in the Traction control module data. I cleared the code and then went down a long hill and applied the brakes about 30 times. I got lucky that the EPS/ABS/BAS message came back and I went back home and pulled codes and the brake light code had reset so I think a brake light switch will fix it. I could also look at the data stream which had ABS sensor data and brake light data. The NC (normally closed) data stream says OFF with the brake pedal applied and also when not applied. This seems like an issue. The NO (normally open) data changed from OFF to ON when pumping the pedal.

I tried to access the ABS/ESP module data and I could not achieve communication for some reason.
Just a small hint from me,I had same problem with my c200 kompressor
messages - esp,bas and abs malefunction were appearing all the time and gear box was blocked in one gear,after repleace SAM modul(front one) problem was solved new one cost about 400 euro ,but used one could be also helpfull ,good luck
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM

mb c200 kompressor
Originally Posted by wifesbenzfixer
Every now and then we get the ESP/ABS/BAS message (3 malfunctions) and sometimes it will be years before it comes back. It is always in winter and usually taking off from a stop turning. Slight wheel slip might be occuring also. I was thinking front wheel speed sensor issue. I don't have access to a Mercedes scan tool. Anyone have any ideas? I read a lot about brake light switch issues too on these pages.
Just a small hint from me,I had same problem with my c200 kompressor
messages - esp,bas and abs malefunction were appearing all the time and gear box was blocked in one gear,after repleace SAM modul(front one) problem was solved new one cost about 400 euro ,but used one could be also helpfull ,good luck
Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 PM

CLK 430
Same problem (ABS, BAS, ESP warning indicators)

My 2002 CLK430 with 92K kicked out the same 3 codes in the middle of a rain storm at night - it scared the wits out of me! Took it to dealer next day, thinking I might have something bad ABS system. Brake switch under dash fixed the problem. $28 part. $170+ in labor at the dealer. Not exactly a good deal, but I now have peace of mind.

Last edited by kgantzer; 02-26-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 03-01-2011, 02:06 AM

CLK 430 with CLK 55 AMG upgrades
I have this problem too. It's a 2000 CLK 430. Should I just ignore this problem since it seems to be a glitch???
Old 03-01-2011, 02:10 PM

2002 clk 320
i had this problem last year. took out the switch and played with it then reinstall. everything went away till last week. i got a new one on www.carpartsdiscount.com item #53632 for $22.87 plus shipping. install the new one this morning and my dash is back to normal with no more ugly orange lights! quick and easy fix guys good luck!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by CLKgurl
I have this problem too. It's a 2000 CLK 430. Should I just ignore this problem since it seems to be a glitch???
I wouldn't, the switch is a normal wear part (if you look at your old one, you'll see what I mean). Also, when the switch stops working, your brake lights don't function. If that's not enough, to take the car out of park, one has to step on the brakes. The car uses the brake switch to determine that you're stepping on the brakes.

The switch takes very little time to replace, and it's inexpensive. Here's a link that explains how to swap it out.