CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CPS again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2011 | 07:10 PM

2000 CLK 430
Question CPS again?

My car had been running great, then one day, when starting, it would run through the first try at turning the starter without starting. IT caught on the second try. Really seemed like it was getting no gas. I had recently replaced the fuel filter. Since it was overdue, I thought maybe i burned out the fuel pump. I knew that was easy to change, so I tried that. No better.

No check engine light through any of this.

I had a new crank position sensor installed about 5 years back. That time it would always start immediately, but from time to time would not start when hot. The only way to start it back then, was to let it cool off and then it would start. That was 100% CPS. Well here I am, living in a warmer place (Florida) and I think it may have gone bad again. It starts on the first try, although not immediately. When hot, it may take 2 or 3 attempts, but it starts. The symptoms are slightly different, but I think it sounds like the CPS again. I'll be kind of annoyed if this thing's fried again. Anyone have to replace more than one?

I've also lost about 2 mpg, so that sounds like the CPS as well, as it can't be adjusting the timing properly.

Any thoughts?

I think I'll swap it out myself this time. I'm sure there's something in the W208 how to thread. It can't be tough.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...8-how-tos.html

If anyone has a direct link, you may save me some browsing.

thanks for reading.
Old 04-07-2011 | 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Easy to replace. The whole job takes about ten minutes and only goes in one way. There is a single bolt to remove and a lead to disconnect and that is it. It is located at the top back of the motor usually nearer the driver side. Also check to make sure your battery is fully charged as these cars require a fully charged battery to start.
Old 04-07-2011 | 08:55 PM

2000 CLK 430
Thanks. Just picked up the part. I'll report back. Battery's new and charged. Got 11 years out if the original battery. No complaints there.
Old 04-08-2011 | 06:15 PM

2 55s
I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago
CPS location for 2002 W208 CLK55

Good luck!