CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

MISFIRE CYLINDER 5 . PLEASE HELP ME

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
car fixed. my dealer was tryin to get me to change my intake and bill roughly 3300 for other****. took my diag back to my mechanic and showed him. used one more trick to clean my fuel rail and valves and injec. we used bg 44k can for 25 dollars and drove it then drove it very hard and redline it too and car is back to normal. no more prob. thank u guys
The following users liked this post:
Lumturo (07-26-2024)
Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
I told you brother, once we hear missfire, we automatically assume its electrical related but in our cars 80% of the time its not. The carbon build up is what gets most of the MBs my car and my mom's had the same issue, but sometimes you have to use very strong solvants. here is another tip, take your EGR valve and it's tube that goes to the throtthle body out and clean it with the same solvant and you will see a huge difference it pickup and overall performance of the car. its an easy job and can be done in about 3 hours. get some solvant and a metal coat hanger(coat hanger needed to clean the pipe.
The following users liked this post:
Lumturo (07-26-2024)
Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible
Good I am happy to hear that your car is fixed big mike !! I hope you always used premium fuel before and after ..dont be cheap using lower octane fuel cause it cheap !! That why mb cars required premium fuel only !!! To clean out carbon deposits.Once in a while I use either techron ,or lucas or even mystery oil fuel treatment to clean out injectors,valves ,etc !!!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
big_mike did you use the bg44k can into your gas tank or the fuel injector service ran through your fuel rail?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jbenz99
Good I am happy to hear that your car is fixed big mike !! I hope you always used premium fuel before and after ..dont be cheap using lower octane fuel cause it cheap !! That why mb cars required premium fuel only !!! To clean out carbon deposits.Once in a while I use either techron ,or lucas or even mystery oil fuel treatment to clean out injectors,valves ,etc !!!
I agree bro.. i always used premiun but that time used med for some reason aka i was not paying attention. but sucks that it clogged it. Then i realized my filter has not been changed since 2001 when the first owner got it and i bought it in 2006. so that is maybe why.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by slowsky
big_mike did you use the bg44k can into your gas tank or the fuel injector service ran through your fuel rail?
Hello. SLowsky.. I poured it into The gas tank and it works like magic and it will go through the entire system adn clean it up. U need to drive on then highway for a good 45 to one hr to dissolve all the junk in the fuel lines and fuel injectors.

next time i get my oil done, he wants to use the MOA bg into my engine to clean it up and im set .
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 PM

2011 C63
thanks, gonna run that through my car too, i'm getting some rough idle and have just about replaced everything...

i've put in seafoam and multiple techron...hopefully bg44k is stronger...
Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks, gonna run that through my car too, i'm getting some rough idle and have just about replaced everything...

i've put in seafoam and multiple techron...hopefully bg44k is stronger...
i have used seafoam and cheveron and werent as good as Bg44k and did not work to be honest. i drove on em for 3 days and nada and car was misfiring at 5000 rpm..
they drained my tank and changed the fuel filter and filled the car with new gas and a bottle of bg4k. even when i went to auto zone, the workers told me , bg44k is the strongest out there and they did not carry it.
keep us updated.
Are u having the same prob?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

its the first black bottle that i used
Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 PM

2011 C63
similar, idle feels like an old school muscle car...came a long way from rough idle, replaced o2 sensors, spark plugs, spark plug wires, valve cover gaskets, air filters, maf sensor, and etc...

no CEL ever, adaptation values were all over the place, checked gas through fuel line after replacing fuel filter, and everything flowing fine....

really frustrating as this is much better than before but still never solved the issue. Went to 3 dealerships and couple indy's....nobody could figure anything out except throwing parts at it or says its "old" get a newer car....

one dealership kept blaming it on me deleting the secondary cats/resonator and adding magnaflow muffler...said it changed the pulse wave thus the engine shivers...doh!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

similar, idle feels like an old school muscle car...came a long way from rough idle, replaced o2 sensors, spark plugs, spark plug wires, valve cover gaskets, air filters, maf sensor, and etc...

no CEL ever, adaptation values were all over the place, checked gas through fuel line after replacing fuel filter, and everything flowing fine....

really frustrating as this is much better than before but still never solved the issue. Went to 3 dealerships and couple indy's....nobody could figure anything out except throwing parts at it or says its "old" get a newer car....

one dealership kept blaming it on me deleting the secondary cats/resonator and adding magnaflow muffler...said it changed the pulse wave thus the engine shivers...doh!
I mean this is new to me whatever happened to me and i def learned from it. dealership tells me its fine and its my intake and i said NO. its not. i had it for 2 years and not a single prob then they said we have to change this and that blah blah and bill roughly $3300. i said thank u,I will come back.
NOW my shop did every possible test that u can think off and even checked for vaccum leak and MAF and CPS sensor and compression of my cylinder and fuel and fire and pressure of my fuel rail as well and all came back fine.
one thing i have learned even though my car passed every test, they could not tell if the line are FULLY clogged or not even though the pressure was in normal range.(which will tell me its not clogged)
One can of bg44k and My car is back to life.
it idle normally and does not shake at all.
i hope u can get it fixed

ps: make sure that u got new fuel filter. its only 70 dollars or so.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 PM

2011 C63
thanks for the advice...i'll do the bg44k first throught the tank...if it doesn't work, looks like rail cleaning for the fuel injectors...the mechs all think i'm chasing a ghost..."its suppose to idle like this" or "this is a hot rod"...

i do have 110k miles on the car and no issues until last couple thousand miles...just doing preventative maintenance and came across this fiasco...issue is it is very intermittent...wish i had a CEL to tell me at least where to look....also did the fuel filter couple thousand miles ago too...

never had a CEL on this car...had the mech check to make sure the bulb wasn't out....other than that, this thing has been more reliable than any cars i've ever had...that includes honda/toyota/nissans....
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you are to welcome. my car has 118000 now and that was my first prob ever in 5 years. but let me tell u something about removing cats. car ll not idel the same. it ll be lil rougher. i tell u this from my previous car and removed my cats. its not gonna be smooth. u ll feel some vibration too. trust me u don't wanna have cel on. u are fine im pretty sure unless your car is hesitating a lot and feels like its gettin choked then its a prob. good luck.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 PM

2011 C63
primary cats are still on, just deleted the secondary cats...it was rattling...

sometimes there are hesitations, like its choking on something...

but i've got to say though, after removing the secondary cats/resonator and adding the magnaflow muffler, it felt more responsive....feel like the air is forcing its way out...less restrictions...
Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

but i've got to say though, after removing the secondary cats/resonator and adding the magnaflow muffler, it felt more responsive....feel like the air is forcing its way out...less restrictions...
I hear u.. Good luck with the BG44k, let us know if it solves your probs.
i hope u dont have a prob either
Old 08-17-2016, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Hi, so did you have the issue fixed? Please update us. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:21 PM

2000 CLK 320

slowsky did it work bg44k i have a bottle on the way... i already steam cleaned 2-3 times i think its a coil # 5 but i striped the star nut using torx 25 when t30 is called for... oops .....now i cant switch coils to see i have new plugs though... i did every gas treatment you can get except bg44k..... including Zmax and liquimoly
Old 01-16-2020, 03:01 PM

wdbjf55fxtj020203
Very easy fix

Dear sir
your problem is very simple and easy to repair
please replace your ignition coils , you can buy the cheap ones from EBay for like $120 all 6 pieces,, if you want to go for the expensive ones buy from the dealer $120 each)
i had this problem and fresh set of plugs and 6 new coils and the car back like new , the scanner was giving me random misfire which was crazy
try this and let me know,, it is about one hour labor if you do not know how to do it yourself
good luck

Originally Posted by big_mike1979
I just used seaFoam in the tank.... is that what u meant?
or there is seaFoam for the engine? if so, where do u put it in the engine ghost?