CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Correct movement of side view mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Correct movement of side view mirrors

Does the adjustment knob work the same wayfor changing directional movement of the right and left mirors.

I replaced the adjustment motor on my right mirror this weekend and find that the center console adjustment knob works as follows:

Right mirror: Forward direction of knob moves mirror up and backward movement moves mirror down.

Left mirror: Forward direction moves the mirror down and backward moves the miror up.

In other words the each mirror movement is opposite with respect to the adjustment knob.

The owners manual doesn't specify the directional movement...so could someone check their mirror operation and advise.

Not being ****.....just don't recall them working that way and was wondering if I might have reversed the electrical connector.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like either a short or a crossed wire.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Mach430,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I take it that the adjustment knob should move both mirors in the same direction.

I just double checked that I put the connector back on the right side mirror properly (it is, the connector is keyed).

BTW.....it's the left side mirror (that wasn't touched) that is acting strange (mirror up/down corresponds to back/forward of the adjustment knob and just noticed that the memory function no longer works on it as well).
Old 05-20-2003, 07:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the car still under warranty? If it is, I would just let the dealer deal with it. My sister's E420 has the same problems with her seats. If you press the seat back button, it moves forward. If you press the seat forward button, it moves forward...
Old 05-20-2003, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Yes it is....I had a feeling (and wanted to verify) that the left side mirror was changing direction correctly....and that it wasn't because of the new motor that was changed on the right side.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Correct movement of side view mirrors

Originally posted by Serndipity
Does the adjustment knob work the same wayfor changing directional movement of the right and left mirors.

I replaced the adjustment motor on my right mirror this weekend and find that the center console adjustment knob works as follows:

Right mirror: Forward direction of knob moves mirror up and backward movement moves mirror down.

Left mirror: Forward direction moves the mirror down and backward moves the miror up.

In other words the each mirror movement is opposite with respect to the adjustment knob.

The owners manual doesn't specify the directional movement...so could someone check their mirror operation and advise.

Not being ****.....just don't recall them working that way and was wondering if I might have reversed the electrical connector.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you have a non-memory motor in the left side, or the controller has been switched to a non-memory controller (in the door) with a memory motor in the mirror.

Memory motors and non-memory motors work differently. Usually, we do not see CLKs in the US with non-memory motors, but they are made for other applications as well as non-US CLKs. The same goes for the controller.

Because the motors work on only three wires, you can't wire them too incorrectly, or the left/right action will not work properly.

-s-
Old 05-21-2003, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Just take it to the dealer, and most likely, it just needs to be reprogrammed. When they replaced my window motor (assuming they disconnect the entine center/shifting console), they somehow forgot to reprogram the mirrors. This resulting in one of the mirrors moving in the completely opposite direction.

They just hook it up to their computer, reprogram, and you're done. Just a few minutes time.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No longer car shopping...
Saw that same problem on a starmarked CLK

I found the same problem on a car when I was looking. Of all things, it was actually on a Starmarked car at ---- Mercedes in Charlotte. Apparently, they replaced one of the mirrors and the other was working in an inverted motion (like what you described). I pointed it out to the sales rep and told her to "take that one off the list of potentials". My thought was that if that problem got through their check list, then who knew what else may have gotten through. If your really interested in the dealership name, give me a PM and I will share it with you. BTW - They also had another white 430 with "all kinds of electrical problems" that was also on the lot as a previously inspected "Starmarked" car. I guess they thought that potential buyers would only check so far and then once they had the car, they would simply bring it in to fix those things. IMHO that's what starmark is for. It's supposed to have already been checked out. PS - Thanks for aloowing the ramble. As you can see I bought from an individual in the end...