CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Privacy Concerns? My Ass!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 clk 320 cabriolet
Originally Posted by Nola
Imagine that you could compare the price you paid for your ticket with what everyone else on the plane paid for that particular segment? And that you also got a printout of the maintenance record for that plane? What would the consequences be?
I'm sure you would have some interesting results, but I doubt that "market collapse" would be among them. Airplanes would still be flying every day with paying passengers. I think that what you would create would be chaos with those who would refuse to release that information - the "collapse" would be limited to those who did not meet the demands of the customer (the market). The competitors would jump into the vacuum and compete to provide more information and the free market would weed out those who did not satisfy demand. Nola, I think you may be confusing "market collapse" with the carnage of inefficiency resulting from competitive forces within that market. Markets change. And not all change is market collapse.

To apply this to our car conversation, I think that MB, by withholding service information, does not do itself any favors in the marketplace - especially if they tout their quality of customer service and special treatment as selling points. If there is enough demand created by customers for the release of service information and access to the database, the market will take care of it. And MB, if they don't get out in front of it, may end up the loser.

If the question on the next few MB brand loyalty surveys was, "Would you buy the car that provided lifetime access to service information over the car that didn't?" and the results were sizable, how long would it take before MB would change its view on releasing that information? Audi is already making hay in the market for touting "MB" as the car stuck in its own inertia. Do you think they'd be ready to fill that vacuum? I'm guessing that the line forms at the left for those companies who would.

Last edited by gorgerider; 07-17-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
I don't know if the market would collapse or not, but it would be different. That particular market would fail. For the car example, the CPO market could fail, or at least for the manufacturers.

The point is that changing the balance of information changes markets, so don't feel bad or angry that companies want to hold on to that information. Many times it is not because they are mean, but because it breaks their business model.

Originally Posted by gorgerider
I think that MB, by withholding service information, does not do itself any favors in the marketplace
What do other manufacturers do?

Last edited by Nola; 07-17-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:47 PM

2000 clk 320 cabriolet
Originally Posted by Nola
What do other manufacturers do?
Really good question. I don't know, but I do know that MB is one who proclaims how much higher on the foodchain they stand. They (supposedly) hold themselves to a higher standard and provide more and better customer service. That's why they cost more (it ain't the price of the cappucino in the paper cup). It's the standard of excellence to which they hold themselves that is at stake.

MB may have backed themselves into a bit of a corner. Some dealerships provide the information freely while others are locked up tighter than bark on a tree. Inconsistancy at best, hypocrisy at worst (when compared to the sales pitch). How about a press release that says, "We will no longer provide any service information about our vehicles because of "privacy concerns." Everyone will know it's B.S. and the market will jump on it to fill the void - even if they were one who didn't provide that information in the first place. Picture the Hyundai Hamsters handing out service historys to their little hamster friends, free of charge for the life of the car. Audi ad writers would have a field day. Increases in sales would likely outpace losses from the service department because of the release of service history information.

The other day, in a single conversation, it went from freely providing information on my car (shock replacement); to "just prove your ownership" and we'll release the information; to "under no circumstances" will we release the service information. Do you think that level of inconsistancy will be (should be) rewarded by the marketplace? Throw in the different answers guys on this thread received (mostly centered around whether or not they bought from a dealership). My contention is that MB is hurting themselves by their inconsistancy and hands-off approach. Just the quantitative results are missing to back up my assertion.

At McDonald's, you don't complain when the burger in the wrapper doesn't match the picture above the counter. If you went to Morton's Steakhouse, would you have the same low expectation knowing the bill was going to be at least $50 a plate?

Last edited by gorgerider; 07-17-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

It's the standard of excellence to which they hold themselves that is at stake.
That's your opinion. Quite obviously not theirs. Or mine for that matter. They can be quite excellent in all aspects without providing service history to anyone for any reason.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:57 PM

2000 clk 320 cabriolet
We obviously disagree. I'd still buy you a beer were we to run into each other someday.

I'll leave the Panglossian position to you. Thanks for the conversation.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

We obviously disagree. I'd still buy you a beer were we to run into each other someday.

I'll leave the Panglossian position to you. Thanks for the conversation.
!