CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk convertible top light stays on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320
CLK320 Red LIght on when roof is closed

Originally Posted by alm0468
i have a 2000 clk 320 conv. recently the red light on the top control stays on when the top is up. i can open and close the top and when i open the top the light goes off and things work normal, but when its closed that darn light stays on and blinks and i get the alarm going off and i cant open the trunk without having to use the key. anyone have any suggestions before i go to the dealer and get punished lol i was thinking it may be a sensor in the locking latch in the front since the rear lock seems to work fine when the top is down. this all started after i had to change one of the relays for the top 5 months ago.
This is quite a bit late, but to help all those in this situation.
The convertible top on the W208 CLK320 has a safety switch in the soft top itself. The switch is located within the "Fastener" which is the mechanism that you push and turn to initially open the top. to fix the issue, you must do one of few things.
-Take out the fastener using the screws mounted at the front end of the soft top, and replace the entire fastener.
-Switch to soft top with an aftermarket roof, or junkyard roof (I used a junkyard that happened to have a W208 soft top in mint condition)

Their is a company called Top Hydraulics that helped me a ton with rebuilding my convertible top system. they were pretty cheap and very helpful with information on the hydraulic systems of the car. they also sell the schematics for the car. If you are having trouble with anything to do with the convertible top or that gosh darn red light on the console, id highly recommend contacting them.