CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

suspension experts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
suspension experts

hey everyone, I've been having this swerving issue that in the freeway the car feels like it pulls side to side, its not super bad but ad enough to notice, also it feels like it moves a bit heavy like as if the brakes were on half way. This is the list of what i have done so far:

Complete new oem drag link and outter tierods
OEM Stearing damper
poly lower control arm bushings
lower ball joints
new tires
alignment
new rotors and pads

after changing the bushings and the drag link my stearing improved significantly but the heavy driving feel and the floating/swerving is still there.

could this be wheel related issue because when i purchased my new wheels the holes had to be drilled a little but they put sleeves in them and i purchased the proper conical lug bolts as well as hub rings.

also if someone can let me know how often i should change my springs and spring pads as i have had my H&R springs on my car for 7 years but the shocks are new.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
Hey Ash, you are the man when it comes to the w208. Sounds like you've done your homework. Do you have a different set of wheels & tires or an oem set to run for a test?
Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
whatsup Dave, I havent tried that yet because i had the tires checked and the wheels checked and rebalanced and everything checks out perfect and i really dont think the swerving issue would be because of the wheels, but again you never know.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Car Issues....You still going to be able to pick me up on Friday?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
I think it might be the corner weight balance is off , maybe try a shop that can check each wight of each corner.

Originally Posted by VIPclk320
whatsup Dave, I havent tried that yet because i had the tires checked and the wheels checked and rebalanced and everything checks out perfect and i really dont think the swerving issue would be because of the wheels, but again you never know.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Originally Posted by VIPclk320
hey everyone, I've been having this swerving issue that in the freeway the car feels like it pulls side to side, its not super bad but ad enough to notice, also it feels like it moves a bit heavy like as if the brakes were on half way. This is the list of what i have done so far:

Complete new oem drag link and outter tierods
OEM Stearing damper
poly lower control arm bushings
lower ball joints
new tires
alignment
new rotors and pads

after changing the bushings and the drag link my stearing improved significantly but the heavy driving feel and the floating/swerving is still there.

could this be wheel related issue because when i purchased my new wheels the holes had to be drilled a little but they put sleeves in them and i purchased the proper conical lug bolts as well as hub rings.

also if someone can let me know how often i should change my springs and spring pads as i have had my H&R springs on my car for 7 years but the shocks are new.
Hey Ash, I forgot to share with you the latest, which I might add is original material: I was working in my garden the other day and I was bitten by a garter snake. They are a non-venemous snake. The only ramifications are that now I'm suffering from Reptile Disfunction.
No copyrite. Feel free......... I crack me up!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by tery
I think it might be the corner weight balance is off , maybe try a shop that can check each wight of each corner.
Tery can you elaborate on that, i'm not sure what you are referring to but it sounds like something that would cause my issue.

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Hey Ash, I forgot to share with you the latest, which I might add is original material: I was working in my garden the other day and I was bitten by a garter snake. They are a non-venemous snake. The only ramifications are that now I'm suffering from Reptile Disfunction.
No copyrite. Feel free......... I crack me up!
LOL i havent gotten any funny k=jockes or sonds from you lately but this was good.

William707, Yes sir brother, i will pick you up at LAX on friday, I'll check the flight number friday morning for any early arrivals or delays.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
It might be one of your spring is sinking or when installation of new shocks the spring did not seat in the right place, causing one corner higher off the ground just by a bit . Thats my guess if we assume that everything is all check out fine. I think this might be the issue.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
tery, still racing your Benz?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
Not this year, car is sitting on jacks now , trying to find what I can take off make it more light wight .
Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Thanks tery i will check that, can you also tell me what is the typical life span of H&R springs, Ive had mine on since 2003.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
Quality aftermarket springs should out live the car.
Defects, rust, structural damage, would be the factor if your springs are sagging..never heard of springs simply wearing out.
If the case you'll see the car sagging to one side.

Last edited by GiZzO; 07-26-2011 at 12:04 AM.