CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 430 vs CLK55 AMG - Things to watch for?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 528i
CLK 430 vs CLK55 AMG - Things to watch for?

Howdy all, I'm new here.

Prior owner of a bunch of BMWs (E12 528i restoration, E28 535is) and Audis (200 Turbo, 90 Coupe Quattro 20v).

Have been spying the rapid depreciation on MBs and intrigued by the CLK 430/CLK55 AMG (98-02). Finally test drove the CLK55 back to back against CLK 430, and oddly, I find the 430 more "daily" driveable (for me), the AMG was kind of fatiguing and slightly twitchy (might have been my leadfoot, lol).

Big plusses - lots of interchage parts between CLKs means good prospects for basic parts (cosmentic/etc). Negatives - worries are AMG?MBs stance on major parts, verification of maintenance history, eletrical reliabilty, and some quality issues (squeaks and rattles in the AMG).

Initial thought was go for a higher mileage 430 and drive it for a year, then flip out of it, but checking out the AMG has me thinking that values *have* to be bottoming out now 10 years out, so a good AMG should give a decent 5-7 year window near flat deprec. The distinctive W208 body style, I think is way more classic than the newer stuff, and will probably hold it's own for quite some time now. I plan on using a couple of yelp reviewed indie shops (NO dealers), and doing the balance DIY.

So, in prep for a purchase, big questions:
* What are the (your) HORROR stories of CLK/AMG W208 ownership?
* What stuff should I watch for (buyer's checklist)
* I've heard about MB VMI reports from the dealer - is that easy to get without hassle from the dealer?
* I'm seeing mileage between 100k-200k, so owners seem to be keeping these for a while, what's the outlier for engine/tranny replacement?
* I'm a manual transmission guy, so I'm leery automatics - what's your reliability/maint schedule experience on the automatics?

From what I've read around here, you all seem to be having a good time with the cars, so I take that as a good sign :^)

Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Mob

00' CLK 55 AMG
Buy the 55, I did and have never looked back. NO horror story's, problems etc.. It's never let me down - I have owned mine for near on a year and put 10k (miles) on it.. It's literally never missed a beat.

Things to watch out for: in my experience -

Rust - check all arches , boot lock, where the sills meet the paintwork, just beneath the grille on the bonnet and generally all round the car.. If it's bad, walk away (at least I would)

Make sure all the electrics work and that they are not slow - sunroof, windows, washer jets, heated, electric and orthropedicnseats etc..

Thats just my 00.02.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 PM

2010 E550, 02 CLK55 Cabrio - sold
Originally Posted by boxeswithknobs
* I've heard about MB VMI reports from the dealer - is that easy to get without hassle from the dealer?
* I'm seeing mileage between 100k-200k, so owners seem to be keeping these for a while, what's the outlier for engine/tranny replacement?
* I'm a manual transmission guy, so I'm leery automatics - what's your reliability/maint schedule experience on the automatics?
I 2nd the CLK55, I drove the 430 and was not impressed by the acceleration, although still a great car. And since your a manual trans. guy, like I am, I think you'll appreciate that big torque to make up for the fun of a manual.
Leave it in 3rd for residential or 4th on the highway if you want a sportier midrange feel.

Consider finding low mileage in these high end cars, if you are looking to have a very reliable experience. Plenty of them are weekend garage queens, like mine is and was. If your budget is lower, thus higher miles, I would make sure you get good really records that show most of the common maintenance items done once or twice, and 3 or 4 owners max. I got a PPI at a Mercedes dealer in Kansas city and it was a complete waste of $130, except for the VMI they gave me after they said they couldn't (some of the dealers will give you one if you ask). It was probably just a bad dealership; they did not find anything wrong when a few things should have been easy (wobble at 50mph that was a plainly visible flat spot in the tire, tranny fluid half liter low, motor mount that was shot, said brakes were 60% left, but were noted on record as 25% left at their inspection 6 months earlier, etc). I'm doing everything myself going forward, or at a well known indy as last resort.

What is your price range? I know when I was shopping for a CLK55 cabrio this past spring, one went for $19000 with only 20,000 miles !
After that one slipped away, I saw a few more 55 cabrios with about 40,000 miles for $16000 - $18000. I imagine the hard tops to be about $3000 less then the cabrio on average. Some will argue that the cabrio will be a little easier to sell, when the time comes, although they are 5 - 10% slower.

Mine is black opal (actually dark blue in reality) and checked out with hardly any visible flaws in the interior, exterior, or functions. That told me that it had mostly been kept as a garage queen by people that could afford the maintance and only took it out for drives on nice days. Thats the kind you want. The records suggested the same care. Although, I have done the motor mounts and tranny fluid already, and have a coolant change and fronts brake pads coming up.

I've bought older high end cars in the past, Lexus sc400 in black with swirl marks, G35 with keys scratches - got a big discount for their somewhat crappy appearance. But I'll tell you...it feels so nice to finally have great condition paint, and all the options (nav, designo, amg/bbs rims, dark blue metallic with tan top) Driving a rare, powerful, waxed beauty is a special feeling I'm still getting used to!

I can send you a couple CLK what-to-look-for checklist docs that I took down to Kansas for my inspection, just send me a PM with your email.

Last edited by UncleSlam; 10-08-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
MB horror stories usually start off with a poster bragging about their finding an incredibly inexpensive car and how they were too savvy to waste money on a prepurchase inspection. They’ll post a few more times, asking questions, and then it starts. They’ll want to know why their local dealer won’t warranty something (code for “fix for free”) on their heap of junk. Then they’ll want to know if anyone has an “in” at MBUSA, because their car, which hasn’t seen maintenance in 5 years, should be fixed for free. This will be followed by numerous threads that MB builds junk. That will continue until they pawn the car off on some other unsuspecting victim. By then, many on their forum are glad to see them go because we're sick of their rants. One person in the CLK55 section bought a used 55 in Florida, drove it home to Texas, and had the transmission fail. He didn’t complain. He determined the car was on its last legs when he bought it, which explains why it was for sale. When he initially looked at it, the car appeared to be in good shape, so he didn’t have it inspected. IIRC, the trans fell out during his first week of ownership. Nothing ruins a purchase like having to start a "where do I buy a transmission" thread after 7 days. There was another guy who posted two or three times a day that MB cobbles together crap because the junker he picked up at some corner lot (once again, with no inspection and CHEAP) needed maintenance and his local dealer wasn’t giving discounts. I remember he finally got a Jag, came back and posted what a great car it was, and then came back again to bash Jags. This behavior probably isn’t Mercedes-Benz specific. I have a co-worker whose 7 year old 911TT burned to the ground. To this day he hates Porsche because he feels they should have “helped him out”. That too is code for “fix my 7-year-old, out of warrantee, third owner car for nothing.”

Buyers check list? Here are a few things to look at.

Getting a VMI is easy if someone (preferably the current owner) asks a service writer nicely. Those who demand a VMI because they are someone important just don’t get it - dealers aren’t obligated to help someone else sell a car. A smile and "would you please do me a favor . . . ." goes a long way.

How long before an engine replacement? Most people here don’t know where to get an M113 (the engine design that comes with a CLK430/55). That’s because the M113 is as close to bulletproof as most people can find. I know one guy who has over 175K on the clock and he says he goes through *maybe* 1 quart of Mobil 1 between 10K oil changes. Will some things break? Sure, but most of what people consider to be breakage is when a normal wear part wears out.

The CLK automatic is a 722.6 design. When new, Mercedes-Benz claimed they NEVER required servicing. In fact, they don’t come with a transmission dipstick. MB has since changed their mind. For some of us, the fluid/filter interval is every 60K.

Here are the regular service requirements. This is a list of the specs, available options, and original prices for the 2002 CLK model year.

Lastly, if you're looking for a CLK, your local MBCA (Mercedes-Benz Club of America) section is a good place to start your search.

I hope that helps.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 PM

02 e320
Originally Posted by MarcusF
MB horror stories usually start off with a poster bragging about their finding an incredibly inexpensive car and how they were too savvy to waste money on a prepurchase inspection. They’ll post a few more times, asking questions, and then it starts. They’ll want to know why their local dealer won’t warranty something (code for “fix for free”) on their heap of junk. Then they’ll want to know if anyone has an “in” at MBUSA, because their car, which hasn’t seen maintenance in 5 years, should be fixed for free. This will be followed by numerous threads that MB builds junk. That will continue until they pawn the car off on some other unsuspecting victim. By then, many on their forum are glad to see them go because we're sick of their rants. One person in the CLK55 section bought a used 55 in Florida, drove it home to Texas, and had the transmission fail. He didn’t complain. He determined the car was on its last legs when he bought it, which explains why it was for sale. When he initially looked at it, the car appeared to be in good shape, so he didn’t have it inspected. IIRC, the trans fell out during his first week of ownership. Nothing ruins a purchase like having to start a "where do I buy a transmission" thread after 7 days. There was another guy who posted two or three times a day that MB cobbles together crap because the junker he picked up at some corner lot (once again, with no inspection and CHEAP) needed maintenance and his local dealer wasn’t giving discounts. I remember he finally got a Jag, came back and posted what a great car it was, and then came back again to bash Jags. This behavior probably isn’t Mercedes-Benz specific. I have a co-worker whose 7 year old 911TT burned to the ground. To this day he hates Porsche because he feels they should have “helped him out”. That too is code for “fix my 7-year-old, out of warrantee, third owner car for nothing.”

Getting a VMI is easy if someone (preferably the current owner) asks a service writer nicely. Those who demand a VMI because they are someone important just don’t get it - dealers aren’t obligated to help someone else sell a car. A smile and "would you please do me a favor . . . ." goes a long way.

How long before an engine replacement? Most people here don’t know where to get an M113 (the engine design that comes with a CLK430/55). That’s because the M113 is as close to bulletproof as most people can find. I know one guy who has over 175K on the clock and he says he goes through *maybe* 1 quart of Mobil 1 between 10K oil changes. Will some things break? Sure, but most of what people consider to be breakage is when a normal wear part wears out.

The CLK automatic is a 722.6 design. When new, Mercedes-Benz claimed they NEVER required servicing. In fact, they don’t come with a transmission dipstick. MB has since changed their mind. For some of us, the fluid/filter interval is every 60K.

Here are the regular service requirements. This is a list of the specs, available options, and original prices for the 2002 CLK model year.

Lastly, if you're looking for a CLK, your local MBCA (Mercedes-Benz Club of America) section is a good place to start your search.

I hope that helps.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)

I hope that helps.
Excellent post that is heavy on reality. Refreshing
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 AM

1971 280SL
I'm interested too!!

I'm new to mbworld too. I'm looking for a low milage WHITE CLK430 or CLK55 2001 - 2002 Cabriolet. These are all questions I have, so thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward a CLK55. Reason: In March 2000, I ordered an '01 CLK430 cabriolet. Drove it for 1600 miles and sold it. At the time, the car was too sluggish for what I was looking for.

So if anyone has a nice WHITE CLK430 or CLK55 2001 - 2002 Cabriolet please let me know.

Howdy all, I'm new here.

Prior owner of a bunch of BMWs (E12 528i restoration, E28 535is) and Audis (200 Turbo, 90 Coupe Quattro 20v).

Have been spying the rapid depreciation on MBs and intrigued by the CLK 430/CLK55 AMG (98-02). Finally test drove the CLK55 back to back against CLK 430, and oddly, I find the 430 more "daily" driveable (for me), the AMG was kind of fatiguing and slightly twitchy (might have been my leadfoot, lol).

Big plusses - lots of interchage parts between CLKs means good prospects for basic parts (cosmentic/etc). Negatives - worries are AMG?MBs stance on major parts, verification of maintenance history, eletrical reliabilty, and some quality issues (squeaks and rattles in the AMG).

Initial thought was go for a higher mileage 430 and drive it for a year, then flip out of it, but checking out the AMG has me thinking that values *have* to be bottoming out now 10 years out, so a good AMG should give a decent 5-7 year window near flat deprec. The distinctive W208 body style, I think is way more classic than the newer stuff, and will probably hold it's own for quite some time now. I plan on using a couple of yelp reviewed indie shops (NO dealers), and doing the balance DIY.

From what I've read around here, you all seem to be having a good time with the cars, so I take that as a good sign :^)

Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 PM

02 CLK430

I hope that helps.

Couldnt have said it better. One thing to conisder, which could be nill to some people, but the 55 rotors are an MB only part and are $200+ a piece on top of $100+ . I am also a fan of doing an oil change between services (ie: 5000mi).
Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 PM

BMW 528i
Update!

Well, after researching like crazy, I found one!

2001 Black CLK55, 66k miles, no nav. Garage queen. Seriously the leather looks like near showroom. Hard to believe it's ever been driven from the interior. Only a few small things here and there, no deal breakers, and only 3 owners. Under $15k out the door.

I checked it thoroughly myself, pulled VIN, service records, and had a local MB expert look it over. Gotta schedule fluid change, filters, etc.

All the AMGs I've driven so far feel a bit high-strung on the highway - anybody have alignment sheets with good recommends to ease that up a bit?

I'll post updates and pics when I get a break and some sunshine.

Thanks for all the feedback,
Old 10-22-2011, 12:41 AM

BMW 528i
BTW, this is one of the reviews which helped confirm my decision:

http://www.epinions.com/review/auto_...t_251307003524

Pretty cool, even if it is in the wrong category.

Driving the CLK makes me feel like Batman!

Last edited by boxeswithknobs; 10-22-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Finally test drove the CLK55 back to back against CLK 430, and oddly, I find the 430 more "daily" driveable (for me), the AMG was kind of fatiguing and slightly twitchy (might have been my leadfoot, lol).
Thanks, Michael

Could it be the Clk55 owner installed Sprint Booster?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:36 AM

BMW 528i
Originally Posted by Klinh
Could it be the Clk55 owner installed Sprint Booster?
The "twitchiness" I'm referring to is regarding the steering. At low speeds it's fine, but on some surfaces at highway speeds, it feel like it's overly sensitive - a little like a toe-in/toe-out/camber issue. But every AMG I've driven has been like that, just doesn't feel "relaxed" and requires concentration.

Could well be the tires fitted and minor alignment issues.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 AM

2010 E550, 02 CLK55 Cabrio - sold
The twitchiness your refer to, is almost certainly in your alignment. Mine has really smooth, predictable steering - although, sadly, lacking the BMW-esque road feel of a rack and pinion. If anything is twitchy about the CLK55 (or just my car) it is the brakes, give it a little press and you are stopping right now! But I got used to that and love the braking power. It almost sounds like a sprint booster to me as well.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 AM

BMW 528i
Just got a drive from Silicon Valley down to Los Angeles in Saturday morning. Definitely have a "feel" for the car, and as you indicate, sounds like an alignment issue. I did notice that it is hypersensitive to depressions on asphalt truck lanes and some irregular road surfaces, and tends to transmit every little nuance of the tracks, sometimes with a bit of pull/wander.

Definitely need to get that checked out. There's stock alignment, but curious if anyone has any recommended tweaks from stock alignment, if any.

The first two days I drove the car, I was sorta pissed at the MPG (10-14 mpg), and was afraid I had just bought a 150-200-mile per tank car (entirely possible given the appropriate driving style!). Saturday morning I bought some Techron for the trip down to LA and topped off - it was gratifying and a relief, as I pushed 24-26 mpg all the way, even with a few bursty moments. Basically looked like the whole trip was doable on 90%-100% of a tank (still had 130-160 miles reported on balance of tank at the Grapevine), yay!

Oh, BTW, Damn, these things are QUICK!!!

Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boxeswi...in/photostream

Ok, I'm a happy camper now. As a matter of fact, I think I'm Batman now!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Just got a drive from Silicon Valley down to Los Angeles in Saturday morning. Definitely have a "feel" for the car, and as you indicate, sounds like an alignment issue. I did notice that it is hypersensitive to depressions on asphalt truck lanes and some irregular road surfaces, and tends to transmit every little nuance of the tracks, sometimes with a bit of pull/wander.

Definitely need to get that checked out. There's stock alignment, but curious if anyone has any recommended tweaks from stock alignment, if any.

The first two days I drove the car, I was sorta pissed at the MPG (10-14 mpg), and was afraid I had just bought a 150-200-mile per tank car (entirely possible given the appropriate driving style!). Saturday morning I bought some Techron for the trip down to LA and topped off - it was gratifying and a relief, as I pushed 24-26 mpg all the way, even with a few bursty moments. Basically looked like the whole trip was doable on 90%-100% of a tank (still had 130-160 miles reported on balance of tank at the Grapevine), yay!

Oh, BTW, Damn, these things are QUICK!!!

Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boxeswi...in/photostream

Ok, I'm a happy camper now. As a matter of fact, I think I'm Batman now!
Sounds like tramlining. Some tire brands are notorious for it. It's especially annoying on SoCal/NoCal runs up/down the 5. I haven't experienced it with Continetals. Every set of Yokohamas I've had has done it (on every car) and some Dunlops.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 AM

99 CLK430, 01 CLK55
alignment tires?

The "twitchiness" I'm referring to is regarding the steering. At low speeds it's fine, but on some surfaces at highway speeds, it feel like it's overly sensitive - a little like a toe-in/toe-out/camber issue. But every AMG I've driven has been like that, just doesn't feel "relaxed" and requires concentration.

Could well be the tires fitted and minor alignment issues.

Out of curiosity what type of tires? May sound odd but I have had terrible problems with BFG and "bump steer". Good choice on the 55 just bought one myself and also have a 430. I didn't think there would be much difference between the two, but yes the 55 grin ear to ear driving.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 AM

BMW 528i
Originally Posted by Jayrassic
Out of curiosity what type of tires? May sound odd but I have had terrible problems with BFG and "bump steer". Good choice on the 55 just bought one myself and also have a 430. I didn't think there would be much difference between the two, but yes the 55 grin ear to ear driving.
On the car when I got it -> Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport.

I've run Dunlops on other cars, but the handling on the CLK55 I think might demand a bit more robust. ;^)
Old 11-18-2011, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Euro-spec springs have been one of my best mods. Also check your steering damper and lower control arm bushings.

Welcome!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM

w208 CLK430, w212 E350, w221 S550
Congrats on your purchase! I own a 430 and have been wishing that I have gotten a 55 from the getgo but I do love my 430. Welcome!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Clk 430 AMG package
Question CLK 430

question, I have a clk 430 2001. What aftermarket intakes could i get for it, because i know k&n does not do them. What would you guys recomend???