CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New Car Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 430 cabriolet
New Car Key

After having a few issues with the auto recently. A few days ago my key would not turn in the ignition. Unfortunately, I lost the extra key so could not test if its the key or EIS. So, I called the dealership to order a key for me (since I would need an extra one anyway, even if it is not the key that is broken). The dealership would not order a key for me unless I had the car towed to them, along with the title and registration number and my driver's license. I asked them if I can just bring everything else in except the car. They said, No way. Either way, was able to order a key from another dealership and will let you know if its the key or the EIS.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk 320
The key could be dirty inside.let us know what happens when you get your new key.I learned a trick to cleaning the key.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
You do not need to bring the car and a title into a dealership. If a person bought a brand new MB and financed it for three years, would the dealer really tell them they couldn't get another key until it's paid off? It sounds like whoever you spoke to is confused. Registration and an ID is fine. If the dealer refuses, call MB USA at the 800 number, gently explain the problem, and ask them if you really have to tow the car, bring ID, bring a title and bring registration. I believe they'll explain proper protocol to the dealer's "service" representative.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 430 cabriolet
Yes it was the key. New key went in and boom it turned. Was told the old key was broken inside...too many drops I guess.....The problem I encountered was that the car did not start when I filled it with gas...had it jumped and trickle charged the battery. Changed out battery two years ago so not sure why the that was...