CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Clutch pedal mechanism query

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clk 230k 6-speed cabriolet
Clutch pedal mechanism query

Hi All,

Last week I was inspecting my clutch pedal because it sometimes made a clicking noise when lifting (like a spring catching on something). It turns out it is some kind of pedal return compression mechanism that was doing the clicking and when I had a play with it, it dropped off due to the top location bracket that seems quite goosed. I've searched the net and it turns out it's a common fault - the bracket failing. Thing is, I've removed the mechanism and to me, the clutch operation seems better and smoother.
Does anyone know what purpose this mechanism serves and also if it will do any damage to the car / clutch by not having it functioning?
I could fix it but prefer the clutch with out it.
Any help welcome.

Regards, Alex.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w208 k 200 cab 6 speed man 2001
clutch pedal return spring

HELLO I HAVE A 2001 W208 CAB WITH 40000 MILES AND IT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM IT HAPPENED YESTERDAY AND AGREE THAT IT SEEMS BETTER WITHOUT IT.I THINK IT HAS BEEN WRONG FOR AGES AS THE PEDAL WOULD BE SLOW TO RETURN AND THEN TAP THE BOTTOM OF YOUR FOOT. IS YOURS STILL WORKING OK ? MERC TELL ME IT IT STOPS THE PEDAL FROM STICKING DOWN AND MAKES IT LIGHTER TO DEPRESS .THERE IS A MODIFIED REPLACEMENT WHICH INCLUDES A NEW BRACKET AND PEDAL £150 ISH PLUS FITTING .IT SEEMS TO FIT OVER THE MASTER CYLINDER ROD AND DOES NOT APPEAR TO HAVE THE SPRING. I HAVE CHECKED WHAT IS LEFT OF MY OLD BRACKET AND SEEMS OK BUT MAY REPLACE IT AS BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDAL PIVOT ON IT DF.BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY THANKS DF

Last edited by davefennell; 05-15-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: HAD A CLOSER LOOK AND NOT AS THOUGHT
Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 AM

Hi Dave,
I've left mine without the bracket on and it's been nearly 5 months now. It's still fine and doesn't seem to have caused any problem. If I were you I'd leave it off and in my opinion, I think some idiot at Merc put it on in the 1st place to make using a clutch easier as they're very "automatic" minded. Unfortunately, it seems like a waste of time and money + they still got it wrong by designing a part that snaps!!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Over a year now without the bracket on and still fine.