CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Lose the ability to program the clock with an aftermarket stereo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes Benz CLK 430
Lose the ability to program the clock with an aftermarket stereo?

I have read and searched for awhile but I can't seem to find the answer to this question. I found some very helpful documentation on how to intall an aftermarket radio into the dash (http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/DIY/headunit2.html), but nothing ever indicates whether I will lose the ability to change the clock. If anyone that has upgraded their stereo in a CLK 430 and knows the answer to this question, I would be very grateful for the answer.

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
I'm assuming you have comand navigation and you adjust the time through your stereo currently. If thats the case, then you need to code it to non-comand and the car will let you adjust the clock through the instrument panel buttons.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
I'm assuming you have comand navigation and you adjust the time through your stereo currently. If thats the case, then you need to code it to non-comand and the car will let you adjust the clock through the instrument panel buttons.
Correct assumption (for me anyway) I have wondered this myself.

Code what? How?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by nicgentile
Correct assumption (for me anyway) I have wondered this myself.

Code what? How?
Anyone? Bump.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
I think they are talking about taking it the dealer or someone with the proper computer interface stuff to re-code the car's comptuer to eliminate the presence of the factory NAV system. I have aftermarket stereo and the clock can be programmed through the dash / steering buttons I think. I haven't had the car long enough to try setting the clock, but the time is correct.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
Sorry for the late response. I don't actually have the Command system. The way that I program my clock in the dash is by using the page menu button on the left side of the steering wheel. I then use the volume rocker to adjust the time. It is only when I have paged to the change time menu that the volume buttons act as an input. If I am on any other menu (fuel econonomy, odometer, etc.), they change the volume of the radio. After talking to multiple Cartoys salesman, they say that if I install an aftermarket stereo in my car, and they wire the steering wheel volume controls into the after market stereo, I will lose the ability to change the clock. They say it is because the the steering wheel controls send signals to the car computer, and the car computer determines if it needs to send those signals to the stereo or send it to the clock. According to Cartoys, the adapter they install will always send the volume control signals to the stereo instead of detecting if the signals need to go to the car clock. I was wondering if anyone had a solution for this such as a different steering wheel control unit or some sort of switch?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
As you can see from my website, I went with PAC boxes. The PAC boxes change the signal from the CANBUS to a signal that is recognizable by the head unit. That's why the second PAC box is head unit dependant. All other multifunction steering wheel controls work as normal. Also, my PAC boxes are plug and play, which makes them easy to unplug when something better comes along (I'm a big fan of not cutting any factory wires).

You'll need an SWI-CAN2 and either a SWI-ECL2, SWI-JACK, SWI-PS, SWI-RC or the SWI-X. My two boxes were about $145 from Crutchfield. They are probably cheaper on Amazon, but Crutchfield is a better overall deal IMO.

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by MarcusF
As you can see from my website, I went with PAC boxes. The PAC boxes change the signal from the CANBUS to a signal that is recognizable by the head unit. That's why the second PAC box is head unit dependant. All other multifunction steering wheel controls work as normal. Also, my PAC boxes are plug and play, which makes them easy to unplug when something better comes along (I'm a big fan of not cutting any factory wires).

You'll need an SWI-CAN2 and either a SWI-ECL2, SWI-JACK, SWI-PS, SWI-RC or the SWI-X. My two boxes were about $145 from Crutchfield. They are probably cheaper on Amazon, but Crutchfield is a better overall deal IMO.
Thanks Marcus for the info. So just to confirm, with these two boxes you are able to change the clock in instrument panel and change the volume on your aftermarket stereo?