CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How to tell replicas from real

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
How to tell replicas from real

There's this guy that I am meeting tonight who wants to sell his brabus IV rims. He says he needs to make a sale asap since he is leaving the country. I'm new to all of this and I swear I cant tell whether what he is selling me are the real thing or just replicas. Guys have any advice? Is it worth buying used or should I just spend a little bit more (okay maybe a lot more) for brabus rims? Anything will help. Thanks all. You've all been very helpful.

By the way he is selling it for about $1200 with tires. And the only pic he had was this:

Let me know what you guys think
Attached Thumbnails How to tell replicas from real-brabus.jpg  
Old 06-24-2003, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E350
What sizes are the rims? Is he selling them with the tires?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:30 PM

Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Re: How to tell replicas from real

Brabus rims will have "Made by Ronal" or just "Ronal" embossed on the inside of the wheel. Brabus wheels also have "Brabus" embossed on the outside.

If it's a multi-piece, you can tell real easy if it's fake from the lack of gap between the center and lip. Real multi-piece wheels have a space between the center and lip due to its multi-piece nature. Replica multi-piece have no such space/gap.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Laiv
There's this guy that I am meeting tonight who wants to sell his brabus IV rims. He says he needs to make a sale asap since he is leaving the country. I'm new to all of this and I swear I cant tell whether what he is selling me are the real thing or just replicas. Guys have any advice? Is it worth buying used or should I just spend a little bit more (okay maybe a lot more) for brabus rims? Anything will help. Thanks all. You've all been very helpful.

By the way he is selling it for about $1200 with tires. And the only pic he had was this:

Let me know what you guys think
Old 06-25-2003, 01:12 PM

CLK320
Eleni - they are 18" brabus IV (1 piece) with tires for $1200, but I think he might have sold it to me for $1000.

I saw it yesterday and I have to admit, brabus on a clk looks great. However, his rims' finish was chipping and was a little scratched up. Although he took me for a spin in his car and I rode fine.

I ended up not walking away since he was giving me only a 10 minute window to make a decision. Also, I'm very particular about all the imperfections. I offered him $700 for it, but he said no.

Anyway, I'm back to my search again!!! Hopefully I can modify my car soon so I can at least post it in this forum and not feel so embarrassed :p
Old 06-25-2003, 01:44 PM

2006 E350
I'm not sure about the Brabus rims but I know from searching for USED AMG, Lorinser or Carlsson rims on ebay that $1200 is about the average asking price for 17" or 18" rims. But I dont' see them selling too often at that price and I usually see the seller relisting the rims over and over again.

I would say $800-$1000 for a set of used rims is a pretty fair price (depending on the condition of the rims and tires if sold with tires). There is a seller on ebay who sells rims at an extremely good price (in my opinion). The only thing is I haven't found the exact match I'm looking for yet in his auctions. He sells both authentic and replicas.

Good Luck in your search, I'm sure if you hold out a little longer you'll find the right rim and the right price.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:51 PM

Im just curious, what ebay seller has good prices on rims?
Old 06-25-2003, 03:58 PM

2006 E350
His ID is aloivag143. He used to sell just car items on ebay but now he has some other things in his ebay store. I just checked his auctions and it looks like he's got a couple of good deals.

The trick with his auctions is to check them daily. He puts new rims on all the time with low buy it now's so people jump on it right away before you even see them.

I've missed one or two of his auctions that I was considering but slept on it too long. By the time I went back they were gone.

Check it out and let me know what you think. I'm curious to see if anyone else thinks these are good deals.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:41 PM

CLK 430
I dont know if its too late but how many rims were damaged? I badly dented my brabus monoV and I got it fully restored for 100 bucks from US wheels. They did an amazing job, bend it back, took some scratches off, and recoated it. Amazing results
Old 06-27-2003, 10:18 PM

MB
Originally posted by nuttertmf
I dont know if its too late but how many rims were damaged? I badly dented my brabus monoV and I got it fully restored for 100 bucks from US wheels. They did an amazing job, bend it back, took some scratches off, and recoated it. Amazing results
Was it for one wheel only? WHere is US Wheels?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Where do you live? If there is a chance of you living in Southern CA, you can always meet him at Brabus.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:49 PM

CLK 430
Originally posted by hinhin7
Was it for one wheel only? WHere is US Wheels?
Yea 100 for one wheel US wheels is in San Diego by me...there is a good place in LA who does a similar thing....dont know where you are but I am sure there is some place that can do it locally. Alot of shops around by me said they would do it...but when I asked how they said they were going to send it out to US Wheels so I just took it to the source.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Just FYI, I have a set of ....

mono V multi piece for sale, with SO3, and they're way more than $1000 or so. 18's w/225/255. Wheels do not have a mark, tires are excellent, 80%. 'Course, I'm way across country, so that doesn't help you. I gues I'm just trying to say that you get what you pay for in this stuff. Occasionally you'll find someone in trouble, stupid( or both) and you'll steal something, but that's rare, whether it's a car of a set of wheels. Having lost a good bit of my own money learning, just trying to help-- good luck.