CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Power Steering Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2003 | 03:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Exclamation Power Steering Issue?

As if I don't already have enough problems posted on this board already, here goes another...

I started noticing yesterday that in the morning and after I get off of work (i.e. after long periods of not driving), I hear a loud "moaning" or sometimes a scratching sound when I turn the wheel more than 1/4 either way. After a couple of turns of the wheel in both directions the noises go away but I don't think it's supposed to sound like that.

My tires do make some noise when turning on the cement in my garage but this is a distinctively different noise.

I suspect it's the power steering, can anyone tell me where the power steering fluid reservoir is? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by Brian_I.; 06-25-2003 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2003 | 04:34 AM
D-5

2003 E55
I have the same problem...
Old 06-27-2003 | 01:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I found that it is actually the power steering fluid that is running low. Usually this means that there is a leak. I went and bought some power steering fluid that has a special additive that helps to seal minor leaks. It has been working great since I added it. Also, I did notice some drops of the fluid right under the hose that comes out from the reservoir. I just reconnected the hose and tightened up the lock and it hasn't leaked yet!

BTW, the power steering tank is on the right of the engine, right next to and below the oil filter.

Hope this helps.