CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ESP doesn't appear to be working, but there's no light indicating malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 200 Kompressor
ESP doesn't appear to be working, but there's no light indicating malfunction

Hi, I recently bough a secondhand MB. It seemed like the ESP-off switch was broken, since it worked sometimes, but sometimes pushing it didn't make the triangle light in the dash show up.
I borrowed a 100% working switch form a friend and still nothing, I was getting frustrated, then when driving, my passenger randomly pushed the button and it worked, the light came on. However when driving on a cobblestone road the light went out by itself. This got me thinking - is ESP even working at all?

So I went on a gravel road and floored it, there was loads of wheel-spin, yet the warning light in the dash didn't blink for a second. This got me thinking - there must be some faulty electrical connection, but since I ruled out the switch, it must be somewhere else, any ideas where should I look? Maybe a malfunctioning sensor?

Also, from what I've read after searching around here: there should definitely be some lights in my dash, right? The OBC also says:"no malfunction". I'm stumped.