CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Thinking about air ride on my CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry go for it. There is always some loser who tried to knock someone elses idea and call it ghetto. Don't let them get in your way
Old 07-17-2003, 09:55 AM

///M3
It would be very interesting to see a CLK with an air ride system. Keep us posted, will you?
Old 07-17-2003, 11:09 AM

99' CLK 320 Coupe
Plus if you slam it all the way down when parked, it'll be harder to steal your wheels. lol
Old 07-17-2003, 11:14 AM

CLK430, CLK320 Cabriolet, ML350
Originally posted by J Lucas
Don't worry go for it. There is always some loser who tried to knock someone elses idea and call it ghetto. Don't let them get in your way
Yea I'm a real big loser. I guess if you are 19 years old, listen to tons of rap, and don't know what good taste is, get air bags and some spinning rims. Thats what winners do...
Old 07-17-2003, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah you are a loser if your trying to force YOUR idea's and YOUR opinions on someone else. If HE wants to get it, HE should get it.
Here is something I learned from my limited experience on this earth. No matter what you do or get you can't please everyone.

If you get a benz, there will be someone who will say you should have got something cheaper or if you got 18's u should have got 19's or if u got a red car u should have got a black car. Only solution is to say screw them all and get what makes YOU happy. When YOU look at YOUR car and you smile then thats the only reason you need

Not some lame STRANGER in a message board for all you know could be some 65 year old dragqueen trying to tell you what looks good on YOUR car. That doesnt even sound right. If someone feels the need to try and put you down and tell you that you don't have "class" then guess what? That person doesnt have "class"... whatever that means...
/Rant off

Originally posted by Leandro
Yea I'm a real big loser. I guess if you are 19 years old, listen to tons of rap, and don't know what good taste is, get air bags and some spinning rims. Thats what winners do...
Old 07-17-2003, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by J Lucas
Yeah you are a loser if your trying to force YOUR idea's and YOUR opinions on someone else. If HE wants to get it, HE should get it.
Here is something I learned from my limited experience on this earth. No matter what you do or get you can't please everyone.

If you get a benz, there will be someone who will say you should have got something cheaper or if you got 18's u should have got 19's or if u got a red car u should have got a black car. Only solution is to say screw them all and get what makes YOU happy. When YOU look at YOUR car and you smile then thats the only reason you need

Not some lame STRANGER in a message board for all you know could be some 65 year old dragqueen trying to tell you what looks good on YOUR car. That doesnt even sound right. If someone feels the need to try and put you down and tell you that you don't have "class" then guess what? That person doesnt have "class"... whatever that means...
/Rant off
Agreed! Glad someone stepped up and said something.

It is very much personal taste, the younger folks mostly perfer a lowered look, and they aren't lowering cars for performance gains. If they were that into performance, they would have gotten a CLK55 instead of a CLK320.

Putting myself in that category (young, hopefully), I lowered my car more for aesthetics rather than performance & handling. Although, if performance gains were achived at the same time, great. If not, oh well. I think my CLK performs fine the way it came from the factory.

If you want eveything from your car to be about performance, you should have bought a real performance car... something ultra light, lotta horsepower, and scratch most of the heavy luxury goods like airbags, A/C, back seat, power seats, heavy 19" rims, etc...

But, to each their own... this thread was starting to ask for an opinion... if you think its a good idea, cheer on... if you think not, just say so and let it be... don't put someone else's idea down. If you have nothing good to say, then just don't say anything. That's something yo mamma should have taught you.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:20 PM

2000 CLK430 & 2000 Expedition on 22's
Leandro ,

You seem to talk alot of crap about everyone elses rides/ideas. Let's see what you're driving. Post a pic of your car. It'd put my CLK up against yours any day, even without air ride in terms of style and "class".

It seems to me a lot of your hate is probably just jealousy. What's the problem? Is it because alot of us 18-22 year olds have worked our asses off and bought our own CLK's? What's the deal?

Oh yea, and I am thinking of putting spinners on my rims. Leandro, what brand should I get? How about I mail you a framed picture of my CLK when it's done so you can hang it on your bathroom wall, that way when you look in the mirror you'll atleast see something that has "class".

Last edited by cl_kruisin; 07-17-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by cl_kruisin

I think your a little confused. There's no way to actually drive down the street with it slammed to the ground like in the two photos. The actual ride height might be as low as Bruce's for example. Then when necessary, you raise it up and when you park or at show you slam it to the ground.
Yeah, I always get a bit confused when I see cars that low because it doesn't appear that you can make a full turn with the front wheels. As I stated earlier, if you don't care about adversely affecting the performance of your car and really like your car slammed, go for it. Do those airride systems also allow you to get your front end to bounce... I'm not being sarcastic.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:57 PM

I wouldn't say it'll adversely affect performance. The worst it's going to do is add a little weight to the car. I don't think the weight would even be noticable, unless maybe your clocking a 1/4 mile. But for everyday driving, I doubt it's noticable. I personally haven't seen an air ride system that can hop the front wheels off the ground. And of course would never try that on a benz.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wouldn't say it'll adversely affect performance. The worst it's going to do is add a little weight to the car. I don't think the weight would even be noticable, unless maybe your clocking a 1/4 mile. But for everyday driving, I doubt it's noticable. I personally haven't seen an air ride system that can hop the front wheels off the ground. And of course would never try that on a benz.
If you are looking for a nice soft ride, I guess you can say it doesn't adversely affect performance, however, if you are actually looking for improved handling and effective dampening, it definitely will adversely affect performance compared to a true performance setup (however not necessarily compared to stock). I'm not sating that should be your priority, as many MB owners really get tweaked about performance, but you should be fully informed. How much does the system actually weigh?

I'm actually having custom coilovers built for my CLK as part of its 6.3 liter conversion, so as you might understand, I have a very different perspective than you. I'm more about function than form, but I also realize that as far as MB owners go, I may be in the minority.

Last edited by Sleestack; 07-17-2003 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:18 PM

I am not sure as to what the total weight would be, I haven't got that far in the process.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the 6.3 liter conversion costing you in total? And how much HP when your done?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not sure as to what the total weight would be, I haven't got that far in the process.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the 6.3 liter conversion costing you in total? And how much HP when your done?
The cost is extreme... well more than the cost of a brand new CLK55. Estimated hp and torque is about 700.

I did some research on the Airride system... although it's not for me, I say go 4 it.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Go for it! If I had the extra cash to put into my ride this is the first thing I would do. You have everything right. It will be the one of the baddest rides on the street, especially since we now know that there probably isn't another CLK out there with it.

Forget all the haters out there and do it if you can. I agree with you 100% with all the comments on this thread. I think it's just a matter of taste. And if that's your flava then f--k the rest.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:37 PM

Man, your car is going to be a beast! What companies did you look into about air ride? Currently I'm looking over the products provided by ridetech.com. Heard good things about them
Old 07-17-2003, 02:42 PM

If anyone has looked into air ride on a CLK before or anyone with any general air ride knowledge, I would appreciate any feedback regarding putting air ride on my CLK whether it be product advice, things to watch out for, etc. It's must appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2003, 02:54 PM
TNH

Originally posted by mmgrad

If you want eveything from your car to be about performance, you should have bought a real performance car... something ultra light, lotta horsepower, and scratch most of the heavy luxury goods like airbags, A/C, back seat, power seats, heavy 19" rims, etc...
I couldn't agree more. These cars are far from performers, they are built on an outdated chassis and are LUXURY cars, not race cars.

I must say though, a CLK is an awesome looking car, and if you have the money (Like Sleestack), and you can make it into a real performance car, then you are badass. I would love to have a car like that, but I can't afford one.

In the meantime, I have a 2002 SS camaro to race around, and my CLK is just for looks and comfort.
I want to do an air ride set up so that I can get really low, but it will be a very tasteful looking car when done. No spinners, no wild paint or stickers, just a clean CLK on nice rims that happens to have an adjustable ride height.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:06 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
To answer cl_kruisin's questions:

Why 4 compressors?

with just 1 compressor, it will take forever to fill the 2 tanks. Thus putting stress on the alternator and drains the battery really fast.

Also these are heavy duty small compressors, their size gives them a mounting advantage.

You can go with a York Electric motor, that is a big compressor but it can fill the 2 tanks in about 2 min. This way you don't need to run a duel battery setup and might not even need a high performance alternator, the bad part is, it will take up ALL of your trunk...
Old 07-17-2003, 03:10 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
I personaly would get 1, the only reason I am not is because I NEED my trunk...

It just seems like a good idea to me that for me to be able to adjust my ride height, after putting on my H&R cupkit, I craked my front bumper on one of those parking brick things....

So in my case, I would actually raise up my car when I park, or go over speed bumps...

I think it's a good idea, but I'll wait till they come up with something smaller... I really need my trunk....
Old 07-17-2003, 03:34 PM

What about using the spare tire space to mount some of the hardware? Since I have 19's the spare tire doesnt do me any good anyways. There's a lot room under that trunk mat. Do you have the specs on the compressors you were looking at?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:46 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
Krusin I fell you I am thinking about turning my 99 clk 320 into a show caliber car, so airbags were my first thought for suspension, because as you pointed out when parked you can slam looks real good, when pulling in and out of driveways speedbumps, and what have you RAISE IT UP. But at the same time I am conflicted internally because as sleestack said performance is the ultimate nothing is more bad a** than pulling up to a light in your clk and smoking a vette, cobra, etc. Only problem with tuning Clk's is cost and lack of reputable shops in my area, so if you do go ahead and bag it let me know how much it ran you and how hard it was to have done time wise and mod wise.
Good luck
Old 07-17-2003, 06:12 PM

A buddy of mine is getting me the name of a shop over in Idaho, soon as I get it, I'm gonna get a quote from them. My friend also has a dealer account with Showtime, so I should get some good prices on Showtime air suspension, if I choose them. Maybe I can hook you up with good prices as well. Anyways, I'll keep you updated as I find out more info.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:23 AM

Last edited by Leandro; 07-18-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:36 AM

All I see is a POS 1994 benz which has "since been turned back to stock." Wheres the cabriolet? From what I've seen so far you have NO room to talk bad about any vehicle. So get something decent before you speak.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:38 AM

Last edited by Leandro; 07-18-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:15 AM

Ok, obviously you didn't read the post. That's a photoshop picture, which means it's not real and was altered. Now that we have that cleared up, you would be so lucky as to own a car like that. The rims $200 a piece? Try Around a grand a piece. Also for your info there are custom machined spacers/adapters bolting them up, which run about a grand alone.

Obviously you don't have a car that's half way decent, otherwise you'd have shown it by now. All I've seen is your POS white benz which I see all over the road driven by middle-class soccer moms.

Don't hate my stuff because it's better than what you have. Jealousy gets you no where, so please stop, you're embarrasing yourself. (ok, fire back at me, with a stupid line like, "your embarrasing yourself with those rims." Go ahead get it out of your system.)

So please stop the hating me just because I have over $80,000 in both my vehicles (will be $90,000-$100,000 when I am done) and i'm only 19 (yes, paid for 100% with my own hard owned money, thank you).

All I asked for was an opinion, and you had to fire back with such hate. It's a shame that you are such a hateful man. Where does all your rage & jealousy stem from?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about air ride on my CLK