CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

1999 CLK430 slooow pickup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 03:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK430 slooow pickup

I just got a certified CLK430 from an authorized dealer few months ago. It has the curved shape transmission (PNRD4321).

The low and mid end acceleration 30~50MPH is poorer than what I expected. When I punch the gas, the up-shift from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th does not happen immediately and I can feel the LAggg. I have to manually down shift from D to 3rd or 2nd gear to force higher RPM and then the transmission will shift up. I am very frustrating about the CLK performance. My old Maxima (190hp) can accelerate faster than the CLK430.

I live in NYC and always experience bumper to bumper traffic on BQE & LIC. That may make my car adapted to the driving style. Can I disable the adaptive feature?

How can I fix this problem? May be I can ask the dealer to re-map / reprogram the transmission program? Which dealer in NYC will do it ? Silver Star in LIC has no idea.
Or
Purchase the after-market performance chip and hopefully it will not void the warranty.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2003, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: 1999 CLK430 slooow pickup

Originally posted by hi-tech-product
I just got a certified CLK430 from an authorized dealer few months ago. It has the curved shape transmission (PNRD4321).

The low and mid end acceleration 30~50MPH is poorer than what I expected. When I punch the gas, the up-shift from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th does not happen immediately and I can feel the LAggg. I have to manually down shift from D to 3rd or 2nd gear to force higher RPM and then the transmission will shift up. I am very frustrating about the CLK performance. My old Maxima (190hp) can accelerate faster than the CLK430.

I live in NYC and always experience bumper to bumper traffic on BQE & LIC. That may make my car adapted to the driving style. Can I disable the adaptive feature?

How can I fix this problem? May be I can ask the dealer to re-map / reprogram the transmission program? Which dealer in NYC will do it ? Silver Star in LIC has no idea.
Or
Purchase the after-market performance chip and hopefully it will not void the warranty.

Thanks
Yeah, it sounds like your car has adapted itself to its previous owner's driving style...

Other members have mentioned that you can reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a short while... do a search on the forum, you should find something