CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Well, didn't expect this...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2012 | 06:47 AM

Well, didn't expect this...

So I hope everyone else's day has been going better..This weekend was the first time I brought my car down from college in NorCal back down to SoCal where its been BURNING up. Thought It'd be nice to drive around back in my home-town since everyone knows my car. I go to drop something off at my mother's friends house and BAM I turn around and something BIG just exploded inside the engine bay as the car was in park outside the house. I had NO idea wtf it was and saw white smoke come alll out from the bottom for only a split second. I go back over, SUPER reluctant to find out what just went down inside my engine.

My A/C compressor or tank or w/e the FUDGE it is blew the fluck up. Scary **** for sure, just pissed off now that I have a 400+ mile trip with NO A/C during the hottest recorded summer in history.

Any idea where to begin LOL and if I can potentially do this kind of repair myself? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have used these forums to fix things I never thought were in my power--just wondering if anyone has some valuable input for me. Thank you all!

P.S. I went to a club back here in SoCal after my drive, didn't even visit home. Let's just say I kept my Mercedes lanyard across my neck and I was #Twinning in no more than 1 hour. Makes them too wet still
Old 08-20-2012 | 12:57 PM

2001 CLK430, 1987 560 Sec
I'm in Redondo Beach and man, it has been hot and muggy, that's for sure. It's exactly the same as when I used to live in DC. As to your problem, I would take it to a good AC shop or indy Benz shop and get it evaluated. You just said SoCal, if you're anywhere near Redondo I can refer you to my guy if you want. Doesn't mean they have to do the work but you can't post something like that here and hope to get a proper diagnosis unless you want to post a bunch of pics and a VERY detailed explanation. The problem is though AC work is a specialty by itself. Many good mechanics don't mess with it.

Unfortunately this sounds nasty and expensive. Good luck,

Bob
Old 08-20-2012 | 04:09 PM

15' W222
find out (on here) how to pull the A/C codes and diagnose them. Next search the many, A/C threads on where to find parts. My compressor went out on me last summer, I ordered one online from a MBworld recommendation and installed by an Indy mechanic. It's never as bad as it seems, just as bad as you make it out to be. GL
Old 08-20-2012 | 08:39 PM

None
It sounds like you didn't take the car to the PPI before you purchased the car. That's too bad.
Old 08-21-2012 | 05:20 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Sounds like you may have just blown a line and the quick puff was just the freon venting. Compressors sieze so doubt thats what happened. You still need to have the system evacuated now since you have air in it. Your probably better off with an AC shop rather than worry bout a "MB" shop.
Old 08-22-2012 | 12:41 PM

2001 CLK430, 1987 560 Sec
You could be right Bobby, the only reason I mentioned an indy is my guy who owns Redondo Foreign Auto does AC work but I don't know to what extent. Maybe all he does is recharges but he's German, has a bunch of certs on his wall from Mercedes tech schools so I trust him. Personally I would start with a guy like that who really knows our cars and wait for him to tell me I need to go to a specialty AC shop.

Bob