CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tinted Windows.... Before N' After

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had my tint done, and I have a black CLK with the ash interior. The area around the rear window brake light really stands out, because the tint was cut around the light. As a result, the grey interior immediately below the light is visible. It is really bothering me, because the light grey area really stands out against the black tint and the black car. The guy who did my tint says that he has to do it this way, as he "can't get a tool into where the light is." Is he right? Are there any solutions? Am I just babbling, or do other people have the same issue?
Old 07-21-2003, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by dryheat
I just had my tint done, and I have a black CLK with the ash interior. The area around the rear window brake light really stands out, because the tint was cut around the light. As a result, the grey interior immediately below the light is visible. It is really bothering me, because the light grey area really stands out against the black tint and the black car. The guy who did my tint says that he has to do it this way, as he "can't get a tool into where the light is." Is he right? Are there any solutions? Am I just babbling, or do other people have the same issue?
Your tint shop is just BS-ing you... i had mine done, and the ENTIRE back window is tinted... Any tint shop with a lot of experience should be able to do it.

I know of 2 ways to do it:

1.) if there is no device to use to tint that part, then MAKE ONE... my tint shop has them already made, since they mainly do tints all day, and they probably have other cars with the same issue... i think (wasn't really looking) they just use a flat piece of wood, like those 1 gallon paint stirring sticks (free from Home Depot), wrapped with a cotton towel
2.) at more expensive tint shops, who have knowledge and experience working with MBs, they can remove the rear deck/hat rack... then, they can have access to the entire rear window

i'll show you a picture of mine when take pics tonight. it looks real good...
Old 07-21-2003, 06:00 PM

When I had my windows tinted I had everything removed. The rear deck and all interior panels. I was also installing my stereo system at the same time so it wasn't that big off a deal. With the panel removed it's an easy job. And those panel come off pretty easy.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
My tint shop told me the exact same thing. Then when it was time to do the back window, the owner came out and saw the way the guys were cutting the film and he scolded them and made them re-do it. It can be done without having to remove any part of the back and pretty easily at that. Danny is right. They can make the tool themselves or they can find one that will fit. There is about 3/8" gap between that light fixture and the window so it's not that bad.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Samoan_Ridah
My tint shop told me the exact same thing. Then when it was time to do the back window, the owner came out and saw the way the guys were cutting the film and he scolded them and made them re-do it. It can be done without having to remove any part of the back and pretty easily at that. Danny is right. They can make the tool themselves or they can find one that will fit. There is about 3/8" gap between that light fixture and the window so it's not that bad.
Yup, there is a small gap, plus the rear deck is pretty flexible, you can probably depress it a little to give yourself/your tool a little more space to work with
Old 07-21-2003, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

here is my tint job from the rear... everything all covered up, rear deck never removed...
Attached Thumbnails Tinted Windows.... Before N' After-dsc00755.jpg  
Old 07-22-2003, 12:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Originally posted by mmgrad
here is my tint job from the rear... everything all covered up, rear deck never removed...
So that is you I've seen on the freeway before. Do you drive on the 110 in the mornings or late afternoons sometimes? I swore I've seen those plates and your car before.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Samoan_Ridah
So that is you I've seen on the freeway before. Do you drive on the 110 in the mornings or late afternoons sometimes? I swore I've seen those plates and your car before.
I'm usually on the 10 freeway from SGV all the way to Santa Monica... typical drive times in the morning range from 5:30-7:30am, afternoon times, from 1-6:30pm in the reverse directions... i've taken the 110 occassionally, but, not much

i'm proud of being a TROJAN, so I share my personalize vanity plate freely... I should actually send a photo to SC... they will hang a picture of your plate on the wall of their Commons cafeteria...

Last edited by mmgrad; 07-22-2003 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by CLK_Ivan
Danny, do you have a better pic of it?
Here is a somewhat better pic of the V8 emblem...
Attached Thumbnails Tinted Windows.... Before N' After-dsc00761-copy.jpg  
Old 07-22-2003, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo

I like it...but then... if someone with a big-block V8 races our 430's...well, you know...
Old 07-22-2003, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Arnee
I like it...but then... if someone with a big-block V8 races our 430's...well, you know...
well, i think each driver just needs to know the limit.. and know what he/she is up against... i know i ain't gonna race no Z06 or the new Evo...

at least, you won't get any trouble from those ricer 4-bangers... you know who i'm talking about, the high school punks who spend all their pizza hut income on rims, fart-can exhausts, spoilers & body-kits, intakes, etc... thinking their car is da bomb, but only puts out 165hp...(i have one of those too, but its a 6, at least)
Old 07-22-2003, 01:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
well, i think each driver just needs to know the limit.. and know what he/she is up against... i know i ain't gonna race no Z06 or the new Evo...

at least, you won't get any trouble from those ricer 4-bangers... you know who i'm talking about, the high school punks who spend all their pizza hut income on rims, fart-can exhausts, spoilers & body-kits, intakes, etc... thinking their car is da bomb, but only puts out 165hp...(i have one of those too, but its a 6, at least)

regardless, the V8 emblem looks good.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
That looks pretty nice, but why do you only have it on one side?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by pocholin
That looks pretty nice, but why do you only have it on one side?
Oh, its actually on both sides... but i can't quite capture both on one picture... plus, the rose garden was in my way... but it looks the same on both sides
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Oh, its actually on both sides... but i can't quite capture both on one picture... plus, the rose garden was in my way... but it looks the same on both sides
OK, cool!