CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rust and seat surface repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Rust and seat surface repairs

Both rear wheel arches have developed rust.

First appeared as paint bubbling, but when you put your fingers on the inside lip, it's pretty bad rust from the inside.

Although I live in the Northeast, I'm not happy due to fairly low mileage for the year (e.g. 75K). during the 11 years on the board this area was never mentioned as rust prone and did not use the car during periods of heavy road salt usage.

Been long time board member and don't recall the rear wheel wells as a problematic rust area.

Can't get firm pricing on repairs until they actually see the extent of the rust when repair begins, but it's going to be at least $1,000.

Also getting large cracks in the leather on the driver side seat that needs attention.

Is there a product available at auto supply stores available to patch the cracks?

Alternatively, I'm going to have to get a seat cover....any suggestions?

Last edited by Serndipity; 09-15-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Good news (I think) on the apparent wheel arch rusting.

The paint bubbling was not caused by metal rust through (e.g. developing from the inside). Instead, it had to do with the paint not adhering properly. The shop thinks it might have been a sealant (rust preventive) that was applied inside the wheel wells and not 100% cleaned off the outside surface prior to painting the car.

Still hope to get some suggestions on repairing the large cracks in the leather seat surface (e.g. a product available at auto supply stores to patch the cracks or alternatively a nice seat cover.