CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Please Help! CLK430 Starting Problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Unhappy Please Help! CLK430 Starting Problem...

Hi guys, have been searching for hours now and have found similar problems to mine, but no answers!

My w208 started having problems with starting yesterday. I tried to start it the usual way by turning the key all the way and letting go as soon as I heard the engine crank, but the starter seems to have turned over just once, not enough to get the car started. I turned off my a/c and radio, thinking of battery drain, and attempted again, but this time I also held the key down like you would start any normal car; started right up! So I just dished out $180 on a battery, even though my battery was perfectly fine, because I was under the illusion that the new battery actually fixed my problem; the car was starting perfectly, finally!

Alas, when I went to start my car just a few hours ago, to my surprise the car didn't start... I am now thinking the worst, that it is probably the starter; I know the car has 12 years under its belt and these things just sometimes happen, especially in tropical weather like that of where I live: Puerto Rico.

But, you guys may have some advice or insight as to what is going on, and that is why I am here!

So the car starts, intermittently the starting process will work as it is supposed to. Sometimes it will fail to start, and when I hold down the ignition key it will wait 2 seconds, attempt to start again, wait 2 seconds, tries again, waits 2 seconds, and tries again, nothing... Eventually after repeated attempts at starting it; after going from position 0 to 3 (or 4?) on the ignition switch repeatedly, it will start.

Please if anyone can help me, thank you!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM

CLK 430
Bump.

Need some help guys... Anyone here ever experience this type of problem?

Solenoid? Starter? Ignition Switch?

I need anything... I'm a college grad, out of the job and low on money!!

Last edited by dreamPR; 09-19-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:12 PM

CLK 430
Could someone tell me if I should post this in the Technical forum? The CLK forum feels a little unloved.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
could be any of those!

Before you spend more money, have it diagnosed (battery $ was probably a waste)

double check that the key will lock/unlock/trunck/etc..check that your key battery is good.

Last edited by cindyclk; 09-21-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 PM

CLK 430
Hey Cindy, thanks for the reply. I already know that the investment in the battery was a waste, but to be honest the thing had 12 years. I already was imaging that one day it was gonna leave me stranded.

Anyways the key batteries are fresh, just replaced them about 2 months ago.

I know that it could be any of the aforementioned items I listed, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem. I saw someone who had a similar issue on a different forum, IIRC, but they never posted a solution and I can't get in touch with them.

For the past 3 days the car has been starting better, the problem still comes up, but only for about 1 try of the starter, a 2nd try will usually free it up and let it go.

At this point I am thinking it's a failing starter, but maybe its a loose cable? A screwed up contact? I don't know...

Thanks for the feedback though, much obliged!

John