CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

OEM MAF vs Original BOSCH, help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
OEM MAF vs Original BOSCH, help?

So I recently bought a OEM MAF from Euro Car Parts (In the UK) . It was a good price at only £80 compared to the original BOSCH £155.
I fitted this on my car and it was great, so fast and responsive, but only after 4 weeks the MAF started playing up, the car stalled at idle on occasion, the Kompressor stopped working and the car feels sluggish.
This morning I got an engine diagnostic done and the results proved that that the sensor was faulty ! The guy said he has seen loads of these cheaper sensors only last a matter of weeks and then fail like this, he said that they are just not worth trying to save the money on.
I have the computer print out report proving the sensor is bad which cost my £36 and the receipt for the MAF so I will be going back to the store to attempt to get either a refund as they have a 1 year warranty or allow me to pay the difference on the original BOSCH MAF as I have no confidence that the cheaper MAF's are any good now.
My argument is that the unit has a 1 years warranty, I have proven via a 3rd party independent engine diagnostic company it is faulty (costing me £36) and that the unit cannot be damaged by the vehicle as its the sensor that sends the signal to the car.

Has anyone else had issues with cheap MAF's? or advise on returning the MAF for a refund?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 FIAT Abarth 500
I don't really get what you mean by your title, as Bosch is the OEM MAF.

Anyways, to get to the point always use OEM parts -- in this case, make sure it's an authentic Bosch. You probably got some cheap Chinese knockoff (which are prevalent on eBay).
Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM

2015 E400 CAB, 2010 Jeep Compass, 2009 E350 Sedan
There are certain parts that you should buy OEM and the MAF is for sure one of them.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by twinsin
I don't really get what you mean by your title, as Bosch is the OEM MAF.

Anyways, to get to the point always use OEM parts -- in this case, make sure it's an authentic Bosch. You probably got some cheap Chinese knockoff (which are prevalent on eBay).
I meant use a replacment part or original sorry.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What I meant by OEM was just Original End Manufacturer which is used as a term for equivalent parts that are meant to meet the manufacureres comliance, but evidently not with the MAF in my case !

Good news though today, I went back to the store, armed with the engine diagnositc evidence, my receipt and faulty in MAF in its original box and with a smile I explained the issue and they gave me a refund ! I then paid the difference for the original BOSCH MAF (£99 more) installed it on my car outside the shop (2mins) and Bingo the car was purring once more with the Kompressor whining away again, happy days ! So the result has been that its cost me an additional £36 for an engine diagnostic out of pocket, but at least i've learnt something here and if I can part wisdom to others, then its almost worth it ! I may write to the store and ask politely if I can get a refund on the diagnostic too.
So today was a REAL MAN DAY.

NEW MAF
GOT FAULT CODES CLEARED FOR FREE BYGOING BACK TO ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC COMPANY.
BRAND NEW FRONT TYRE FITTED
PAID TO GET CAR VALLETED INSIDE AND OUT
BOOKED MY CAR FOR ITS ANNUAL MOT (UK REQUIREMENT BY LAW THAT THE CAR HAS TO BE CHECKED FOR ROAD WORTHYNESS). SO IF IT PASSES TOMORROW THEN I'LL BE THRILLED!

Cheers
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM

2015 E400 CAB, 2010 Jeep Compass, 2009 E350 Sedan
Glad to heat its fixed..