CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

shipping my CLK 320 from Japan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012 | 10:37 PM

clk 320
shipping my CLK 320 from Japan

Seeking information on how to export my 99 CLK from Japan without paying a fortune, I've checked a couple of exporters however i didn't get a good feel into the details, any experienced info will be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2012 | 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
You might contact Williams007 of this forum who is in Japan w/320 as we speak. I know he will bring his back, but when is the question.
Old 09-17-2012 | 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by brownvi
Seeking information on how to export my 99 CLK from Japan without paying a fortune, I've checked a couple of exporters however i didn't get a good feel into the details, any experienced info will be appreciated.
You need to use an importer who's registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...st12282011.pdf

Last I checked a few years ago by emailing every NHTSA registered importer, if your car is made by MB Japan the cost will be anywhere from $15-$40K. Can't believe the price varied that much between companies. Car will have to go through EPA and various other inspections. I asked the companies to give me a breakout, line item by line item because I wanted to see the details of what exactly I'm paying for and none of them responded back. Only one provided me with a list of things to check for which I could replace. Would be interesting to see if the cost has changed. Good luck and let me know how it goes because I'll be looking at returning to the US sometime soon.

If your car is US Spec and you are in Kanagawa area, Gravity Auto should be able to assist.

http://www.hanamaru.co.jp/gallery.html

This company gave me the best price quote.

Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:40 AM
Subject: Car Import from Japan

Hello Jimmy,

The estimated cost of conversion for your vehicle to meet USDOT and USEPA standards is $12,000.00.

This includes DOT & EPA parts, labor, DOT & EPA fees, transport from the Port of NJ/NY, transport to & from EPA lab (one time), EPA test (one time), and US Specs fees. The vehicle must be in its original configuration and in good running conditions. This would not include any kind of tune-up, oil changes, and/or to repair any problems outside the basic conversion.

We have converted many vehicles for military personal from around the world including Japan and many of them have been entered in the Port of NJ/NY.

If you install the front turn signals you will need new L&R front strips (painted).

The $12,000.00 per the e-mail dated 4/11/09 was a discounted fixed price for a normal conversion of your vehicle. I can give you a brief description of parts you can inspect, replace, and/or install.

If you decide to install or replace some or all of the parts required it would be $8,125.00 plus any parts, labor and programming required to meet USDOT and USEPA standards. This would still include the same conditions as before. We get 50% down to start and a conversion can take 3 to 4 months depending on parts and EPA testing.

1. Headlights (must have DOT or SAE on them)
2. Tail lights (must have DOT or SAE on them and have side marker light)
3. Front side makers
4. 3rd brake light
5. Instrument cluster (MPH) & programming
6. All seatbelts must have U.S. part numbers
7. Child anchors & tether anchors
8. Fuel tank & sending unit (fuel pressure sensor)
9. Fuel vapor canister & expansion tank
10. Catalytic converters & O2s (must have rear O2s)
11. DME & Programming
12. OBDII wiring

The rims & tires must have the DOT markings. If your lighting does not meet DOT standards and you wish to keep them send the vehicle without them or install the U.S. lights.

Regards,

Carl Brinegar

US Specs LLC
121 Northway Drive
Havre de Grace, MD. 21078
443-502-2331 phone
443-502-2331 fax
usspecs@aol.com

Last edited by Williams707; 09-17-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2012 | 12:10 AM

2004 CLK500 Cab
Hey Brown,

I am a forwarder. I actually do Air Export from the US but the company I work for does all aspects of shipping. I can get you a price. First, Is this a US Car coming back or is it a Japanese origin car ( Like the previous poster asked)? I can tell you for sure the shipping charge at the very least will cost close if not more then the value of the car. I would sell and buy one here in the US. Lots of good ones around. If you are still interested in shipping it answer the above and I will check with my colleagues.
Old 09-18-2012 | 12:20 AM

clk 320
Thanks to all for the info ! it's a great car and i would love to keep it forever, however more than likely the cost will be to great to even consider, it's not a Japanese build, it's left hand drive European i'm not sure if that equals US spec, or how much price differ even if it is US spec.

Thanks again
Old 09-18-2012 | 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by brownvi
Thanks to all for the info ! it's a great car and i would love to keep it forever, however more than likely the cost will be to great to even consider, it's not a Japanese build, it's left hand drive European i'm not sure if that equals US spec, or how much price differ even if it is US spec.

Thanks again
In Japan you have the choice to buy any European car LHD or RHD. Check the sticker in your door panel. If it says made in Japan by MB Japan then it's Japanese Spec and not US Spec. I've been in Japan for 21 years, my car is also LHD but it's made by MB Japan. If it is US Spec Gravity Auto shipping price for the CLK is $1500. You would first have to check the inside door panel to see where it was made. Sorry to tell you but 9/10 it was made by Mercedes Japan.

Considering all the money I got into my car with Custom parts and tuning, I'm keeping mine no matter what country I go to with the exception of Singapore which with taxes etc will run over 100K.

Last edited by Williams707; 09-18-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-18-2012 | 01:03 AM

clk 320
Got it ! Thanks for the valued info.
Old 09-18-2012 | 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
here are a few things that i know you need to do to make it us spec(smog legal)
there are two shut off valves and a fan for the cats infront of the engine that are U.S must have for emissions
the gas tanks are different because the U.S spec has a **** off valve and a charcole tank on the driver side rear fender arear under the fender liner and a expansion tank on the passenger side rear fender area under the fender liner. the fuel necks are also different but only the aluminum neck part thats about 12 inches or so. also the cats i ebelive are different but that comes into play mainly for california not other states.
the cost to add those parts is at most about $1000-$1500 because you can buy all the parts used on ebay and they are easily available. the labor if you can do minor mechanical work will be very easy if not pay someone do to it and it shouldnt be much except the gas tank replacement.

the next item will be the OBDII which if you purchase a U.S spec wiring harness you would be good to go. so again its like my 320 to 55 conversion, its something that can easily and cheaply be done but it requires research and the will to do it. hopw that helped.