CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

VMI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 204 Likes on 131 Posts
SL 400
VMI

Question, why would the VMI from the dealership be kept from us (owners)?

So I'm at the dealership finishing getting my harmonic balancer replaced under the not quite a recall thing. (Can't remember the name of it) when I started asking about the history of all work on my vehicle. The service writer goes " we'll I have it all here on the VMI but I can't give it to you" Can you read it to me? "Yeah" and he goes line by line and reads it all to me right there as I'm at his desk.

So it's my car, they know that, but for the life of me I can't figure why Mercedes would not want it's owners to have that when we already own the vehicle? Maybe before we owned it because it might prevent us from buying it depending on what it says but after we already own it I don't get??

Plus what difference does it make if they read it to me anyway? FYI everything was petty stuff on it like glove box rattle repaired, telephone something or other. Only big thing I heard was ac compressor replaced and that was a year after rolling off the sales floor. Blocking this from us has nothing to do with the prior owners info like name, etc because a simple software code could block that out or remove it all together on the screen.

Just curious on your thoughts.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 10-08-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
Its is probably because you were not the one paying the bills on the previous maintenance history. They can tell you what was done but can't give you a print out. Just a guess.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 204 Likes on 131 Posts
SL 400
I guess it's possible. Current owner should have a copy of all service records. Does not have to show amount of cost but at least show what was done. No way to change the policy I guess.

Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Its is probably because you were not the one paying the bills on the previous maintenance history. They can tell you what was done but can't give you a print out. Just a guess.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
When I was researching my car from NE before I went to FL to buy it the NE dealer told me the maintenance history over the phone but I don't think I every asked for a print out. Try asking another dealer by providing the VIN#. It may be up to each dealer's discrepancy. Another guess.