CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Power mirror repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E430 Sport 34K, 2002 E320 (38K) ,1999 CLK320, sold, 2003 BMW 540ia (26K) sold
Power mirror repair

My passenger mirror tilts up and down but not side to side.
Is this problem with the motor or some broken plastic bits?
Any way to repair it? If not anyone know the part # I need?

Aloha,

Maui
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 AM

CLK 200K 2001
I have the same exact problem, if you found anything useful please let me know
Aloha,
Hany
Old 11-16-2012, 01:23 PM

2001 E430 Sport 34K, 2002 E320 (38K) ,1999 CLK320, sold, 2003 BMW 540ia (26K) sold
Problem with this group is that useful replies are extremely rare.
Totally unlike the Volvo Brick board...

Replacement motors are just under $150 and OEM...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you feel that way but look on the bright side, you only took 2 weeks to figure us alllll out. Sorry but we cant all drive volvos. Ohh and by the way, your mirror problem could be a switch, a motor, a broken wire, a bird stuck in it... who knows, but a little more info would sure help in GIVING you the answer.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:57 PM

Slow down BJ, and please read other posts with requests for info.
And by the way if mirror motor works its not a wire but a mechanical issue,
probably a broken piece of plastic.

Although I like tasteful mods it would be great if enthusiasts would
take the time to post useful fixes like the Brickboard and BMW sites.

Unfortunately the common problems have mostly the banter of people with the same exact problems and no useful solutions. So far appeals for info about fuel pump, seat issues, sunroof issues, rotors, have not read by 50 or more and with few exceptions there is a dearth of useful replies. No worries since I will figure the solutions with other means and Post with searchable titles...
Old 11-17-2012, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Man o man . . . . . . .

Originally Posted by maui

Although I like tasteful mods it would be great if enthusiasts would
take the time to post useful fixes like the Brickboard and BMW sites.

Unfortunately the common problems have mostly the banter of people with the same exact problems and no useful solutions. So far appeals for info about fuel pump, seat issues, sunroof issues, rotors, have not read by 50 or more and with few exceptions there is a dearth of useful replies. No worries since I will figure the solutions with other means and Post with searchable titles...
"No useful solutions . . . . . . . . . " You've been on the forum less than a month, try not to insult too many of us so quickly.

You've been given answers but it sounds like you want an EXACT answer to your particular question. You won't always get "exact".

Half of your brake question was answered - people have used the pads you mentioned and many responded. The second half of the question (whether anyone had used a specific $30 rotor) wasn’t answered. That may be because given the choice between a $30 rotor, and spending $39 for the OEM rotor, many of us will spend the nine additional dollars on the proven part. I know I have.

The same is true of your fuel pump question – it was answered. The answer was "buy an OEM pump". You wanted someone to post a review of a specific Chinese made pump. Now you’re slamming the W208 community because no one has tried something that cost $75 less than OEM. BTW, over a week ago you were asked a question in that thread and you never responded. If you won't respond to questions in your own thread, why should anyone bother to continue posting there?

Your seat issue was answered. You were told - "try resetting the seat". You posted back that you tried that and it didn't work. Then you said it was no big deal. If it's no big deal, why should anyone bother to continue posting? If it IS a big deal then ask for additional help. Someone may tell you another way of resetting the seat.

The sunroof pictures you asked about were posted years ago. I know because I personally posted them. My sunroof rails and associated parts weren't rusted out then, and they aren't now. They look the same as the photos I posted. If you want to see the photos, use the search feature.

Lastly, the side mirror question has been asked and answered several times. There is a thread with photos of what typically breaks and how to fix it for very little money. I know because I personally posted about this years ago. Did you see that thread? If not, did you search? If you did use the search button, you may need to refine your technique. As for what parts you'll need, first you'll have to put in some effort, disassemble the mirror, and see what the problem is. You may find that the thread I referred to has your answer.

Lastly, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information here.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
....as usual Marcus, well said and with class. Thank you.

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
My passenger mirror tilts up and down but not side to side.
Is this problem with the motor or some broken plastic bits?
Any way to repair it? If not anyone know the part # I need? Aloha, Maui
Based on what you wrote, I do not understand why you would expect a specific diagnosis and/or solution to your problem.

Had you searched the forum, you would have found additional information on this topic, which would have included several prior posting from myself.

Due to an accident backing out of my garage, my mirror surface broke loose from the motor. On examination, the motor's mounting tabs were broken and the mirror could not be reattached.

At the time, a motor replacement was only available by purchasing a complete replacement mirror assembly, which was about $350. Instead of installing the entire assembly, I just removed the motor and installed it as a replacement.

However, after replacing the motor, the mirror did not properly tilt in all directions, which required reprogramming of the mirror controller module by the dealer. Fortunately, since I had already repaired the accidental damage and still within factory warranty, there controller reprogramming was done at no charge.

In the 10 or so years that I've been a member of this forum, I've found a wealth of helpful people and information, often exceeding my expectations.

For example; being the owner of a 2001 cabriolet, I know that the roof mechanism is very complex (e.g. numerous switches, controllers, cables, locks, hydraulic cylinders etc.), can/will fail to operate someday and the diagnosis and repair would be anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 if done by a qualified repair shop.

However, I have found the necessary/sufficient information and resources within this forum, to perform a DIY repair myself, on a very inexpensive basis (e.g. between 0 and hundreds of dollars).
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450

Slow down??? Umm yeah I'm one of the guys that replied to your other post trying to help. I even appologized for misunderstanding your symtoms and explained why the confusion... YOUR WORDING OF THE PROBLEM. Hence my suggestion for more info so you can be better understood and HELP YOU narrow down your problem. A broken piece of plastic would be quite obvious to me and to most... is this the problem? How would I know, you are the one looking at the piece, scratching your head trying to determine if that broken piece is supposed to be attached. My fault for assuming you had already done that, and offered you other areas to look. You think that motor intuitively gets your thoughts of what you want? No it is given a signal from a switch through a wire to a winding in the motor. I hope it is a simple broken mounting tab and you will repaired with minimal effort.

As Marcus said, if you dont want the help, dont ask for it. With vague information, you will get very general responses. There is MUCH more knowledge on this forum than you will ever posses. Maybe even start with the "how to's" sticky thread at the top of the page. There is good basic DIY there to get you started. If you slow down long enough, you just may learn something. Im a retired tech and I still learn plenty from the vast base that makes up this forum.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Now that we have the pleasantries out of the way.

If you need a motor, get it here
https://www.getmercedesparts.com/oem...des-parts.html
$117

There are 4 sockets that the mirror snaps into. If any are broken, the mirror does not function correctly. I tried repairing once with no luck. The only option is a whole new motor assembly. (careful snapping in the mirror when done)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 PM

Thanks Cindy, that is quite useful. I took the mirror off via the ultra thin retaining wire and took a look at that motor. The retaining bits are incredibly cheaply made. The viable fix is not too expensive. The humor appreciated.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:56 PM

reply to BJ

So if I explain exactly which movement work and which do not for an electrical motor (mirror) how much more precisely might that question have been asked?
Sorry if you were offended, but it seems that you might not have read the question very well.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by MarcusF
"No useful solutions . . . . . . . . . " You've been on the forum less than a month, try not to insult too many of us so quickly.

You've been given answers but it sounds like you want an EXACT answer to your particular question. You won't always get "exact".

Half of your brake question was answered - people have used the pads you mentioned and many responded. The second half of the question (whether anyone had used a specific $30 rotor) wasn’t answered. That may be because given the choice between a $30 rotor, and spending $39 for the OEM rotor, many of us will spend the nine additional dollars on the proven part. I know I have.

The same is true of your fuel pump question – it was answered. The answer was "buy an OEM pump". You wanted someone to post a review of a specific Chinese made pump. Now you’re slamming the W208 community because no one has tried something that cost $75 less than OEM. BTW, over a week ago you were asked a question in that thread and you never responded. If you won't respond to questions in your own thread, why should anyone bother to continue posting there?

Your seat issue was answered. You were told - "try resetting the seat". You posted back that you tried that and it didn't work. Then you said it was no big deal. If it's no big deal, why should anyone bother to continue posting? If it IS a big deal then ask for additional help. Someone may tell you another way of resetting the seat.

The sunroof pictures you asked about were posted years ago. I know because I personally posted them. My sunroof rails and associated parts weren't rusted out then, and they aren't now. They look the same as the photos I posted. If you want to see the photos, use the search feature.

Lastly, the side mirror question has been asked and answered several times. There is a thread with photos of what typically breaks and how to fix it for very little money. I know because I personally posted about this years ago. Did you see that thread? If not, did you search? If you did use the search button, you may need to refine your technique. As for what parts you'll need, first you'll have to put in some effort, disassemble the mirror, and see what the problem is. You may find that the thread I referred to has your answer.

Lastly, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information here.

Firstly, Thanks for the chiding and welcome. No offense taken or meant.
Found you sunroof thread searching by your name and operative words. Pics are somewhat useful but can't see the ends of guides or rails for positive ID. EPC calls them baffles I think, but the pics are drawings and don't look quite right. part # A 208 784 01 70 and 02 70 for left and right

Ordered OEM fuel pump (Pierburg) from FCPeuro that price matched AutoHauz but seem much better to deal with in my limited experience with _Hauz
Clamps on Mercedes like BMW look like one use only and may be difficult to remove without damaging the rubber fuel lines. 4 clamps on fuel filter and 2 on fuel pump...

Went with Meyle rear rotors due to hats being coated, cost $22, and excellent reviews. FCP also gives 5% and shipping incentives, low prices, and a very easy online interface for lots of OEM manufacture parts...

All the best