CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

IM SCREAMING Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320 W208
IM SCREAMING Headlight Issue

Passenger city light failed on high beam. Opened it up and inside running light also went out. Noticed insulation had crumbled from wires. Consulted MB Guy who said harness rarely fails. Jiggled inside running light it came back on and also High beam came on. Very satisfied. Tried to push loose wires back into harness and both lights went out. Bought multimeter. I was getting correct power to all wires on the engine side socket. Ordered wiring harness removed bumper removed headlight assembly replaced harness rrgh. Still no high beam..Had hard time with running light. Ordered new headlamps and still no High beam but do have running light. Can only find fuse to headlight switch dealer can't identify individual fuse. Is there anything that could burn out only one high beam somewhere if the bare wires happened to touch. I've tried everypossiblt thing I can think of. HELP ME@@!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 PM

2000 CLK 320 W208
Update

I ordered new projectors and was stumped as the frame side socket is providing 12v to the socket. I tried the new lamps in the socket and still no high beams in the city light. I thought there might be a problem with the socket connection so cut the high beam wire from the new lamps and used a quick connect to bypass the socket and directly connect the high beam wire to the yellow wire on the other side of the harness. I have the same symptoms with this new wiring as I did with the original lamp. Good power to the engine side harness but no power to the bulb socket even with new wiring in the original lamp housing. I am completely stumped not understanding why I have good power at the female engine side socket and cant get it to go through to the bulb in the old and new lamps even bypassing the harness tapping into the yellow wire directly. Any advice is much appreciated. My car is up on jacks with the bumper pulled and I am desperate for advicce.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM

2002 clk 320
Electrical problems can only be solved if you know what each wire is for. How many wires do you have? Does each power wire have its own ground? Or is it a common ground? If you have power to the high,low,city,and signal lights than you must have a grounding problem. The by pass on the power was a good idea what about the ground wire on the same circuit ?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:27 PM

2000 CLK 320 W208
Moving right along

Well, I have projector CCFL halos installed and all beams are working to the exception of the halos which I wired to the running lamps. I can live without the halos, but don't understand why neither side will light up. I used quick connects to tap the black wire into the brown wire on the running light and red to positive and they simply should light unless the quick connects just arent penetrating but that makes no sense. Stupid me didn't test the halos before installing the heads and wiring them in so I'm stumped as to how to test them. Now I figure out how to get the bumper back on.....rrgh
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 PM

2000 CLK 320 W208
Figured everything out

It turned out that the electrical quick connects I was using were not penetrating the insulation of the crumbly/crappy MB wiring so I had to cut, twist and tape and have everything running. If anyone reads this and is considering such a project, be wary of quick connect wiring taps. They may leave you with a difficult situation like mine.

Thanks to all!