CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HVAC problem, need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
HVAC problem, need help

Hey everyone,

I need some serious help with my 2001 MB CLK320 HVAC module.

I took it out the other day cause only half of it was lighting up at night, so I figured one of the bulbs had gone out. I took the 2 bulbs out and checked them, then reinserted them back into the module.

Well long story short, 2 of the wires connecting the main motherboard to the front board came off (pictured here):

I tried pressing the brown and navy blue wire back into the area, but when I reinstalled the HVAC control, now nothing works at all

So now I'm left with no HVAC at all! Nothing works or comes on. I don't know what to do, except solder the wires directly onto the motherboard as a last resort.

I'm not buying a used unit for the $350 I've seen them going for. I was hoping someone here could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
It looks like if you clean out the broken off part from the plug you might be able to reinstall the wire. good luck
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
If you carefully remove the remaining broken off wire pieces, you should be able to reinsert the 2 wires.

First begin with inserting each wire under the bottom plastic retaining ears (e.g. strain relief) with enough of a pigtail to later push down into the 2 sets of metal contacts.

Then push the pigtails down into the 2 sets of metal contacts. The contacts should bite through the insulation and make contact with the copper wire.

Ideally, if you have a multimeter, before installing the control head, check for continuity between the metal contacts and the corresponding holes on the connector top (depending on meter, either an audible tone or near zero ohms).

What more then likely happened was that the inner copper wiring had gotten nicked when the cable was made, which caused it to break off under some stressing. This is why I suggest repair begin with insertion into the strain relief first.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM

2001 CLK320
Thought I'd update my thread.

After 2 long days of tinkering with the HVAC control unit and freaking out when it wouldn't work. I finally got it to work today.

I removed both pin connectors on both boards and soldered 10 separate 22 AWG wires onto each contact point. I took my time and made sure to let the silver solder flow onto the traces. The HVAC unit is now operating correctly and I am happy as can be. I was terrified I'd have to replace the entire unit, and the fact they're going for $350 and up for a used unit is crazy.

So to anyone that has this problem in the future, hope this helps out.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 AM

2001 E430 Sport 34K, 2002 E320 (38K) ,1999 CLK320, sold, 2003 BMW 540ia (26K) sold
just saw you post, great job! I was going to suggest using a dental probe to remove the broken off bits as they are angled and end with a semi hooked point. Then to press the wires into that area followed by flowing a solder line...