CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Strange battery drain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Strange battery drain

Hello all
I'm pretty new here and this is my first mercedes. I've owned it since last spring and it's been a blast, but over the last month the battery is dead if i go 3 or 4 days w/o driving the car (brand new battery)

I've been reading on here that the usual culprit is the seat controller, so I unplugged that, and it hasn't helped.
I unplugged the wires under the passenger seat. Should I pull the door panel and unplug the switches as well?

Is there anything else that commonly causes a battery drain?

..oh, and I inadvertently unplugged the airbag wire under the seat so the SRS light is on (the yellow 2 wire one). I plugged it back in but the SRS light stays on, is there anything I can do about it short of going to the dealer and dumping out the contents of my wallet?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Pulling fuses is a common procedure. Pull several and check the draw until the circuit has been isolated. After the circuit has been determined, start unplugging components on the circuit.

The SRS code can usually be cleared with a code reader.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 AM

2000 CLK 320
Do you mean the code reader you plug into the OBDII port under the steering column?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM

2000 CLK 320
I hooked up an ammeter and it's drawing .4 amps, is that too high?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM

2002 clk 320
4.8 watts is not a lot and would not kill the battery overnight. So you disconnected the battery negative terminal and put the amp meter in to complete the circuit and it is only drawing 0.4 amps?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM

2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Mr Husaberg
4.8 watts is not a lot and would not kill the battery overnight. So you disconnected the battery negative terminal and put the amp meter in to complete the circuit and it is only drawing 0.4 amps?
Yes, .4, or .6 with the power seats plugged in
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 PM

2005 CLK55 COUPE
Originally Posted by CarAteMyMoney
Hello all
I'm pretty new here and this is my first mercedes. I've owned it since last spring and it's been a blast, but over the last month the battery is dead if i go 3 or 4 days w/o driving the car (brand new battery)

I've been reading on here that the usual culprit is the seat controller, so I unplugged that, and it hasn't helped.
I unplugged the wires under the passenger seat. Should I pull the door panel and unplug the switches as well?

Is there anything else that commonly causes a battery drain?

..oh, and I inadvertently unplugged the airbag wire under the seat so the SRS light is on (the yellow 2 wire one). I plugged it back in but the SRS light stays on, is there anything I can do about it short of going to the dealer and dumping out the contents of my wallet?

I had the exact problem with my passenger seat. I unplugged all the wires to the controller box for the seat except for the yellow and red plugs which solved the problem with the battery dying out but obviously the seat is not going to move in any direction thereafter so if this is OK with you adjust the seat to where you want it for comfort and then unplug the wires/plugs. As for the warning light on your dash, you'll need a diagnostic scanner to reset the code which plugs in under the drivers side of the dash. Hope this helps.