CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Flat Tires And Damaged Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi S4
Flat Tires And Damaged Rims

DAMN POTHOLES!!! i posted pictures here : https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=47977
Old 08-06-2003, 02:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
That must have been one nasty pothole. Post pics of the pothole too. I always wondered what a pothole that causes flats and rim damage looked like. I go through a whole bunch of potholes everyday, I guess I better be a little bit more careful from now on.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E350
Sorry to hear about your tires and rims. That really sucks. I try to be very careful since New York is not much better if not worse. When I drive in Manhattan I have to swirve in a million directions just not to hit a pothole but some manage to get me anyway. Luckily, not as bad as the one your CLK went through.

Godo Luck with trying to get some type of reimbursement from New Jersey. I'd be interested in knowing if they honor it. Let us know.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lots
Never happen (getting paid by the state).

I've bent over (13) wheels on BMW's, and Porsches in the past 7 years, from factory stock cast to forged Fikses and Artecs (including a coupla BBS's). It's a fact of life that if you drive lo-pro tires in the 35 and 40 series aspect ratios, you'll fold them up sooner or later.

You can get them fixed. I use Ye Olde Wheel Shop in Elkridge, MD on US. HWY 1 as they always do a premium job. Average price is about $ 150 per wheel to repair.

When I bought my new CLK430 Cab and took a look at those AMG wheeks I thought "gonna fold them up, too", however my dealer, American Service Center offered a bent wheel and damaged tire insurance policy at $ 395 for 5 years, which pays for any cut tire or any wheel damage outside of running into a curb, including full replacement with factory OEM stuff. Best deal I've seen there as I'd just spent $ 800 straightening my Porsche rims, so I bought it.

FYI, most wheel damage is done at night. No way you can dodge expansion joints and potholes at 80 mph, even with Xenon headlights.

One could always install some nive fat 70 series tires <G>

-Duane C
Old 08-10-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Originally posted by drcollie
Never happen (getting paid by the state).

I've bent over (13) wheels on BMW's, and Porsches in the past 7 years, from factory stock cast to forged Fikses and Artecs (including a coupla BBS's). It's a fact of life that if you drive lo-pro tires in the 35 and 40 series aspect ratios, you'll fold them up sooner or later.

You can get them fixed. I use Ye Olde Wheel Shop in Elkridge, MD on US. HWY 1 as they always do a premium job. Average price is about $ 150 per wheel to repair.

When I bought my new CLK430 Cab and took a look at those AMG wheeks I thought "gonna fold them up, too", however my dealer, American Service Center offered a bent wheel and damaged tire insurance policy at $ 395 for 5 years, which pays for any cut tire or any wheel damage outside of running into a curb, including full replacement with factory OEM stuff. Best deal I've seen there as I'd just spent $ 800 straightening my Porsche rims, so I bought it.

FYI, most wheel damage is done at night. No way you can dodge expansion joints and potholes at 80 mph, even with Xenon headlights.

One could always install some nive fat 70 series tires <G>

-Duane C
Duane: is the insurance just for the car that is bought from them (American Service Center)? Do you have to pay any deductibles? Do they replace or fix your rims and tires if you hit potholes (like cracked wheels)?

Thanks,

Solihin