CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cracked rim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2002 | 11:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Cracked rim

When i first got the Carlsson rims i thought they looked great albiet they werent the ideal 19' i wanted but in NYC you cant exactly drive a car with that big of rims unless you are looking for trouble. There are just way too many potholes and dents in this freaking city. 3 months after driving with the rims i notice a little alignment problem so i take back to the shop. They tell me the front rim is not completely round and that it was somewhat oval shaped. At first i thought how the hell could it drive if it were oval shaped but decided ultimately i didnt want to waste another grand so i decided not to swap it. The place i bought it from wouldnt replace them claiming i damaged the rim myself. It wasnt really a big deal until recently when i hit a tiny pothole around the tunnel entrance. Initially i thought the tire blew up but when i finally got to take a look at it the tire (Dunlop SPORT 9000) it was surprisingly intact. What had damaged was the rim, in a way ive never witness before. The entire center surrounding the the Carlsson rim had cracked. Meaning the rim pretty much cracked in half all around. Now i dont know much about rims but wtf is that about? Even bigpotholes shouldnt crack a rim in half like that much less the tiny *** one i hit. Maybe it has something to do with the rims not being completely round. But this post is to warn anyone who has a defective or dent out of shape rim to swap em out cause u never know what might happen. I got lucky i was going slow when that happened otherwise the car probably would have flipped over at higher speeds. Anybody else had problems with Carlsson rims?
Old 03-04-2002 | 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

May I know where did you get your wheels and which style are yr wheels?
Can you send me an e-mail, there's something that I wanna tell you in private.

admin@mercedesbenzamg.com
Old 03-04-2002 | 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Were you quoted a grand to replace the wheel? I'm not aware of any Carlsson wheels costing close to that much.
Old 03-04-2002 | 01:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Rim

Youre right it doesnt cost a grand for the rim alone but i need to buy the tire ( Bridstone S03) and have it balanced and mounted. That will end up costing me a grand. The rim itself is around 600 i believe.
Old 03-04-2002 | 07:53 PM

I've had tons of dents taken out of my 18" Brabus rims- LA's got potholes almost as bad as NYC. I hit an unfilled trench in the road last year and destroyed (cracked) my 2 front rims. Thanks a bunch to the city . I have no idea how people roll around town on 20s (very carefully, obviously).