CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

conv top not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 10:39 AM

2000 430 CLK cabrio
conv top not working

I need a little help. My 2000 430 CLK was rear ended in a parking lot. While the damage looked to be the bumper cover only, the car was hit hard enough to push it forward. In the body shop, they foud damage to the bumper assembly, etc. I just found out that the top will no longer operate. According to the shop, the motors for pulling the top down will not engage. The insurance adjuster claims that it is not related to the accident, and refuses to pay for it. The top functioned perfectly prior to the accident. Whar should I look for , or have the body shop look for as the probable cause?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 04-02-2013 | 12:26 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Are you trying to operate the top or is the body shop? Reason I ask is, do they have the luggage cover in place? Could be something simple.
Old 04-02-2013 | 01:22 PM

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
Are you trying to operate the top or is the body shop? Reason I ask is, do they have the luggage cover in place? Could be something simple.
I was thinking the same thing. Could just be operator error. I bet a rear ending accident could surely cause a sensor to get out of whack. If the damage is as minor as you are describing the problem with the top should be pretty minor.
Old 04-02-2013 | 03:53 PM

clk 230k 6-speed cabriolet
Hi,
It sounds like the sensor on the boot is not showing that it's shut. If that's the case, the switch to actuate the roof will be flashing when trying to lower the roof. It could also be the cover in the boot that's not in position that has to be engaged when dropping the top.
If it isn't something simple and the insurance company are playing funny beggers, find out who the CEO of the insurance company is and write direct to him/her. Always works if you go direct to the person at the top.

Last edited by alexyates; 04-02-2013 at 04:23 PM.