CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

1998 CLK 320 Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 CLK 320 Sport
1998 CLK 320 Will Not Start

First of let me say what a great forum this is. I have not made many posts as you can see however have read the forums very often to keep myself up to speed with this model.

Ok so to cut a long story short here we go

My car had the back end replaced 3 years ago due to some crazy woman smashing into it whilst it was parked on a roadside.
It took me over a year to get the car repaired as the woman did not have any insurance (I live in Hungary so things are bloody complicated in the legal system) and my insurance company wanted to write the car off so I did not go through them.
In that year i had to move abroad with my work so I have just returned to Hungary last month. In that time the car has been stored under a roof, so not in an enclosed Garage. It has not had a battery attached for over 2 years as well.

So I went down to see the car and had to reset the service clock as it had sat so long in order to get it to turn over. It turned over nice and fast but would not start. The normal ABS, BAS, ASR and Check Engine Lights are on. So can anyone tell me if there is some safety feature stopping the car starting? Probably of no significance but the car ran with no issues for over 6 years before this period.
As I said it turns over fine but will not start. I know 3 years is a long time for a car to stand there however I had no other option. As I said my work took me away for so long.
Any help on this would really be appreciated.

Last edited by Daheee; 04-16-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Does it have fresh fuel?

Also, after three years of sitting the injectors may be clogged and/or stuck. However I doubt all 8 are. They can be checked by pulling the injectors from the intake and turning the ignition on.

You may want to drain the tank, purge the lines, add fresh gas, install a new fuel filter, and try again.