CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Does anyone don't have problems With their CLK??

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Angry Does anyone don't have problems With their CLK??

Anyone don't have problems with their CLK...??

Seems like all the CLK that was made craped out...Mine had few fixes here and there but compared to dodge caravan, which didn't had a single fix until 150K miles, my CLk seems like a **** box considering how much I payed for it.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:47 PM

C350
I agree. While the problems are nothing major, there are a LOT of them. I wonder how other cars are doing as I don't have any other car besides my CLK430...
Old 08-25-2003, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
I agree that there are many minor problems...

but all things considered, I'd rather drive a CLK with minor problems than a Caravan with no problems...
Old 08-25-2003, 01:45 PM

CLK320
I bought a pre-owned CLK with a partial understanding that the previous owner would have had and sorted out the problems .D

Not the case I'm afraid though

I've had the known problems of sticking starter, in-operative interior fan blower (in the heat of the summer!) and the fuel gauge is starting to play up

Still, the dealer has fixed all the faults so far under warranty, just that the car's already been with him a total of 5 days since I got the CLK in April

mmgrad, I don't agree that these are minor problems but actually major, but agree with you that rather drive the CLK than a new, smaller bland automobile for the same money that I paid for the CLK.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Petrol Head
I bought a pre-owned CLK with a partial understanding that the previous owner would have had and sorted out the problems .D

Not the case I'm afraid though

I've had the known problems of sticking starter, in-operative interior fan blower (in the heat of the summer!) and the fuel gauge is starting to play up

Still, the dealer has fixed all the faults so far under warranty, just that the car's already been with him a total of 5 days since I got the CLK in April

mmgrad, I don't agree that these are minor problems but actually major, but agree with you that rather drive the CLK than a new, smaller bland automobile for the same money that I paid for the CLK.
oh yeah, those are somewhat more major...

my only real problem was that my cat convertor went out at around 15,000 miles... outside of that, nothing has failed or broke yet... KNOCK ON WOOD

all the other maintenance on the car have been preventative maintenance, like changing out the window motor when it started to bounce..
Old 08-25-2003, 02:08 PM

13 S550 4Matic
I have a 99 with 61000 miles and not a single problem yet....sure the passenger seats squeeks a little when someone is in it, but nothing besides that here. Guess I'm just lucky.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:51 PM

I have a 99 430 w/ 26K miles. Only had the car a little more then a year and no major problems except dead battery replaced under warrenty. The one thing I can't stand is the squeeking seats.

Trending Topics

Old 08-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Almost a Member!

yeah i hate the squeaking seats myself...it drives me nuts! I think im going to add felt all around the seat lining where it touches the plastic cover on side of the seats...maybe that will fix it.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
lots of minor problems w/ my 99' 430:
1. sun shade sticking
2. A/C shutting off by itself after 3 minutes
3. sun roof not closing all the way sometimes
4. hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear
5. 02 sensors going bad
and many many more little things.......
Old 08-25-2003, 04:49 PM

I had problems with my passenger seat, took it to the dealer several times, they finally fixed it. They put a medal fram on it, and the noise went away. Other than that no major problems, just the ac. The ac fogs up the windshield, when you turn it on.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
I have a 99 with 61000 miles and not a single problem yet....sure the passenger seats squeeks a little when someone is in it, but nothing besides that here. Guess I'm just lucky.
yeah i hate the squeaking seats myself...it drives me nuts! I think im going to add felt all around the seat lining where it touches the plastic cover on side of the seats...maybe that will fix it.
I have a 99 430 w/ 26K miles. Only had the car a little more then a year and no major problems except dead battery replaced under warrenty. The one thing I can't stand is the squeeking seats.
There is a fix for this problem that is just too easy not to do. That little black thing right below the A/C controls, yeah it's called a radio. You just turn that up as loud as your eardrums can handle and BAM!, the noise magically disappears!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:15 AM

CLK
Unhappy

I think MB did a bad job making this CLK model...I don't know if they considered all those factors when building the new CLK.

I had bad fuel sensor...
brake/esp lights went on...bad sensor
engine check light went on about 8 times now..
crank sheft was not aligned...I don't know how that happened.

Some people might think this is minor but I think this just makes CLK look like a **** box.....don't get me wrong I love the car that's why I bought it but for the price....MB should have made it better.

My GF has Audi A6 and not a single problem....I might be considering Audi in the future....
Old 08-26-2003, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
With 28k miles the only things wearing out are the tires...I'm on my 3rd set, but that's all part of the fun. I had the multi-contour go out on me, but because of a hose that came loose while vacuuming the interior. The car has been a real champ.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:13 AM

CLK
Glad someone's car is doing well...
Old 08-26-2003, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Be Careful with Audi...

Before I bought my 2002 CLK 430 brand-new, I had a 2001 Audi S4 6-Speed brand new from the dealer in June of 2000.

I drove the car for 48,000 miles during the 2.5 years I owned it. And let me tell you that while the tranny and performance was solid, I had problems ranging from:

1) Engine: Turbo Whine, and torn Throttle Body Boots
2) Electronics: Faulty FUEL GAUGE (Kept bouncing), Faulty RADIO
3) Interior: Walnut Trim actually came off the dash at one Point!
4) Interior: Broken Arm Rest, took 6-months for all the parts to be ordered!

The bottom line is that Audi sells a lot fewer cars than MBZ and thus the trickle-down effect where when the Audi *does* breakdown, the parts take MUCH longer to get than MBZ.

Also, note that the CLK model is is the highest resale value of all MBZ models as of last year June 2002.

*BTW, my CLK has 6,500 miles with no problems at all!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Plus, didn't Audi have a major transmission problem some years back? Somethine about the transmission causing the car to accelerate by itself... All fixed now, but it was something major years back...

SoCalCLK... nice color
you wanna swap interiors? i'm not diggin my Oyster Interior no more... but you gotta love the Black Opal...
Old 08-26-2003, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey SoCalCLK....

I just noticed we have almost the exact same car with VERY similar mods:...

You've got:
2002 CLK 430 Black Opal/Charcoal
K3 and K4 Packages
Medium Charcoal Tint
Brabus Sport Suspension

I've Got:
2002 CLK430 - Black Opal/Oyster
K3 & Self-Retrofitted Xenons
Dark/Med Titanium Tint
Full Brabus Suspension
Eisenmann Race Exhaust
19" AMG Ultra Thin Spoke CL Wheels
Old 08-26-2003, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally posted by mmgrad
Plus, didn't Audi have a major transmission problem some years back? Somethine about the transmission causing the car to accelerate by itself... All fixed now, but it was something major years back...
The problem was mistaking the gas pedal for the brake pedal. The 60 Minutes segment conveniently didn't include the statement from Pastor's wife that crushed her son against the garage wall when she stepped on the gas by mistake.

Audi had a demonstration reving the engine to high rpms and then dropping it into drive and the brakes held. Some car magazines reported it but it didn't make it to the general populace. Their fix was to move the pedals a little further apart.

I had a 5000 then and my resale value sank like the Titanic.

Oh and BTW, sudden acceleration is good.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Thumbs up You are Right, Danny!

It's pretty cool, we're like CLK brothers or something!

Yeah, Black Opal is a sweet color. I get a lot of comments on the beautiful pearl effect in the paint.
The Charcoal leather and interior is dark, and matched up pretty well with Black Opal.

You're one up one me with the suspension, I only have the springs with OEM shocks, but I love it.

In fact I really admire your V8 badges and cool shift knob. We should meet up sometime being that we are all in SoCal!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Cool ima55r2 is Correct!!

That 60 minute piece was totally without merit! Their inaccuraccy cost Audi an unneccesary bad reputation and lost sales.

However, acceleration IS a good thing!!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never knew the full extent of the story, but that sucks...

all I recall is that resale values plummeted, and new car sales took a nose dive....

Luckily, most people have forgotten about that story, and their cars are pretty sturdy, and sales are growing real well now...
Old 08-26-2003, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: You are Right, Danny!

Originally posted by SoCalCLK
It's pretty cool, we're like CLK brothers or something!

Yeah, Black Opal is a sweet color. I get a lot of comments on the beautiful pearl effect in the paint.
The Charcoal leather and interior is dark, and matched up pretty well with Black Opal.

You're one up one me with the suspension, I only have the springs with OEM shocks, but I love it.

In fact I really admire your V8 badges and cool shift knob. We should meet up sometime being that we are all in SoCal!
thanks for you compliments.. I'd trade all my mods for a different interior (maybe )... the oyster interior is just a pain in the a$$...

next time there is a meet in socal, we'll both have to go... take a side-by-side photoshoot... hehe
Old 08-27-2003, 09:47 AM

99' CLK 320 Coupe
My 99 CLK320 so far...

Trunk stuck - replaced lock
Driver side door stuck - replaced lock
Steering hydraulic pump dripping fluid? - replaced hydraulic pump

Other than that literally replaced every bulb on the outside, kept getting a Lamp failure every other day. Pain in the A$$! Every now and then the starter doesn't well start! Although I might not be, 'turning the key right?' (according to someone) I really hope thats it because anything else and I might just bring this thing back.

Of course compared to you guys I've had it good...so far. And I've only own the car for a few months!

My friends ask me all the time "Why did you have to bring your Mercedes back for repairs? I mean its a Mercedes!" Of course I reply "Well its better than your rice!" lol
Old 08-27-2003, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by clarkspark
My 99 CLK320 so far...

Trunk stuck - replaced lock
Driver side door stuck - replaced lock
Steering hydraulic pump dripping fluid? - replaced hydraulic pump

Other than that literally replaced every bulb on the outside, kept getting a Lamp failure every other day. Pain in the A$$! Every now and then the starter doesn't well start! Although I might not be, 'turning the key right?' (according to someone) I really hope thats it because anything else and I might just bring this thing back.

Of course compared to you guys I've had it good...so far. And I've only own the car for a few months!

My friends ask me all the time "Why did you have to bring your Mercedes back for repairs? I mean its a Mercedes!" Of course I reply "Well its better than your rice!" lol
how can you say that you have it good when you only had the car for a few months?

I'd be damn pissed if I were in your shoes...
Old 08-27-2003, 12:45 PM

99' CLK 320 Coupe
Originally posted by mmgrad
how can you say that you have it good when you only had the car for a few months?

I'd be damn pissed if I were in your shoes...
Oh don't get me wrong, I am mad! I just hope that this will be it. *crosses fingers* *Knocks on wood* *Rubs buddha's belly* Thing is I really like this car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone don't have problems With their CLK??