CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

All wheel cambers out of whack!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All wheel cambers out of whack!

Hi All-

I purchased my W208 a couple years ago, and it was already lowered. It was done so by removing the spacers. Ive since replaced one of the spacers in the front bc this was way too low for Atlanta (bought it from friend/mechanic in south Florida). I bought the car with pretty good Continentals on it, and when it was time to replace, I went the cheap route and bought some Firestone brand tires I cant even remember the name of. Not long after, Ive noticed "a lot" of vibration in the wheels, esp front driver side. I brought it back to Firestone bc I was to get free balancing, only to find out that I need front tie-rod ends, rear tires, and rear wheel bearings. Ive learned my leasson and went into my main mechanic who replaced the front tie-rod (forgot to tell him about the wheel bearings). The vibrations improved, but were still there and annoying. I then had the front-driver wheel balanced since this is where I noticed most of the vibration. Again, improvement some, but still vibrating, now feeling it more in the rear. I brought it into Sears to get rear tires balanced, when dude reminded me 1. the tires were really bad, wearing on the insides, and that the cambers were way off. I decided to buy a pair of Continentals for the rear from another spot and had them balance the rear tires today. Now- the vibrations has improved, but yes still there. I am not surprised as I was told the cambers were off by a lot. I can even notice it now when I stand behind the car looking towards the wheels. The top of the wheels angles in some. I realize this is due to the car being lowered. My question- Can the rear cambers be aligned/adjusted? I will prob do a four wheel alignment if so, but Ive done some research online and I saw adjustable rear camber arms for $300+. Do I need these? I assume they may be the best bet, but is it possible to aligned the rear cambers at all, to at least improve the camber some?

Thanks!