CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My diesel '99 430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2002 | 03:51 PM

C350
My diesel '99 430

I know this has been discussed before but I don't remember the resolution. My '99 CLK430's engine, after you drive it for some time, has a kr kr kr kr sound, kinda like a diesel engine. Is that normal? or does it have something to do with valve spacing?
I am taking the car to the dealer tomorrow for service and I'd like to know if it's a problem he should check or not. Thank you
Old 03-05-2002 | 07:18 PM

I get the same thing. On startup sometimes it sounds like a ticking, as if metal's hitting metal, but after driving a while it's almost more of a knocking sound. Took it into the dealer once- he seemed somewhat concerned, but not totally. Didn't know what the problem was, so he suggested I bring it in and leave it with him. I never did, because I can't stand leaving my car with the dealership. No matter how many times I beg them not to, they always do their special custom steel wool wash (black car) which leaves tons of swirls in the paint. They usually put way too many miles on the car, and steal the change from my ashtray. Not to mention you have to be God to get an MB loaner, which is a big turnoff to me. I can't stand driving the old sweatsock-smelling POSs they rent out at the dealerships; usually an old Taurus with 110,000 miles on it and a permanent horrible smell.

Last edited by Newbie; 03-05-2002 at 07:20 PM.