CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 430 cabriolet
Convertible top

I have a 2001 430 CLK. I have noticed recently noticed a few things about the top.
1. There is a thick black coated wire that is cut that runs along the drivers side from front to back as well as the passenger side. I was wondering if anyone new what that was for. I tried to find the other part of the wire, but I can only see the wire that continues from roughly the front window to the back of the car.
2. After a month of noticing these wires cut, my top functions well opening and closing, but when closing the top latch, the RED light on convertible switch stays lit. The windows do not roll up. It seems that the auto does not recognize the top being latched down. The windows go up manually and the auto drives. Could this be a fuse problem or something worse?

If someone can guide me that would be much help!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Cables are common to break and replacement is an average DIY. You should replace them as they are used to support the opening function as well as to avoid having the top slam closed during closing. There are detailed threads on the replacement and IIRC in the $100 range for cost.

There is a sensor on the drivers side catch that signals the computer the top is closed. sounds like it has come loose and just needs to be tightened. It's under the trim panel on the windshield side.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 CLK 230K
Smile This will help you.

Good day my friend....Regarding the convertible light staying on, it is a relatively simple fix. Just Seach for "W208 Cab windows roll down by themselves" in google and it will take you to my post to solve your problem as it as bobbyjo9 suggested.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:21 PM

clk 430 cabriolet
Thank you, I will check it out this weekend and post back!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM

clk 430 cabriolet
fixed it

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. All the screws where actually tight when I opened everything up. But what I noticed was that the arm that the hook bumps when closing was not being "pushed" far enough. It seems that the plastic has been slowly eatin away. Therefore, I had some electric tape and placed it on a few times and tried it. Works great now. My baby is getting old and worn unfortunately but will slowly try to bring her back.