CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Ball Joint Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK55
Ball Joint Upgrade?

I live in Boston where the roads resemble the surface of the moon, and parades of snowplows roam the streets through the winter tearing up any asphalt that dares to remain flat.

Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but it is my opinion, the CLK's suspension was designed for the immaculate autobahns of Germany, and not the pothole-ridden streets of Eastern MA, and that there may be benefits in seeking more robust suspension parts to decrease the required replacement frequency.

I'm planning to replace my front ball joints (upper assembly and lower), and wonder if anyone's tried replacing them with heavier duty parts from an S class/G wagon or something like that. If so I'd appreciate any advice on where to look. I've considered this could risk putting more strain on other suspension components, so maybe it's a terrible idea...
Old 08-09-2013, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320 and sl320 V6
A weak point on the W208 CKLK. R129s and W124s had a superior front suspension. Just replace the ball joints with good quality ones - Merc OEMs or Lemforder. Also check your steering drag link - also a major wear point.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 PM

2001 CLK55
I only use OEM parts, especially for such important suspension components, but I was wondering if anyone's done a custom setup to incorporate more durable/heavier duty parts. By "Upper Assembly" I meant the drag link/tie rod assembly. I was thinking it might be possible to modify a stock link by replacing the ball joints with beefier ones.

Anyway, I'm moving to CA later this month, so hopefully the roads out there will be easier on the suspension.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 PM

CLK 63 AMG
I replaced an idler arm and other suspension parts in my 02 CLK 430. All OEM replacements. The improvement was noticable in ride stability but also tire wear. I'm pleased to have made that investment.

I feel your pain about New England roads. Part of my repair costs were offset by a pot hole damage claim I entered after the rear idler arm took a hard hit. I'm still looking for the good road in Rhode ISland.